C:\> WIN Bad command or filename C:\> LOSE Loading Microsoft Windows ...

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: UniControl

SubjectAuthor
* UniControlDave Plowman (News)
+- Re: UniControlcharles
`* Re: UniControlDave
 +* Re: UniControlChris Newman
 |`* Re: UniControlAdrian Crafer
 | +- Re: UniControlDave Plowman (News)
 | `* Re: UniControlChris Craig
 |  `- Re: UniControlAdrian Crafer
 `* Re: UniControlDave Plowman (News)
  `* Re: UniControlChris Hughes
   `* Re: UniControlDave Plowman (News)
    +- Re: UniControlAdrian Crafer
    `- Re: UniControlAdrian Crafer

1
UniControl

<599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1132&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1132

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: UniControl
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:48:40 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:48 UTC

A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.

On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

Any fix?

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: UniControl

<599c5327e0charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1133&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1133

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Subject: Re: UniControl
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:37:27 +0000 (GMT)
 by: charles - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:37 UTC

In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
> monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
> near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
> perhaps used even more.

> On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
> perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

> Any fix?

It was a piece of Anti-virus software that stopped my copy being in the
start-up file - possibly AVG. I now load it at start-up, but that's only
about once a week.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: UniControl

<599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1134&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1134

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 19:56:17 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 19:56 UTC

In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
> monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
> near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
> perhaps used even more.

> On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
> perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

> Any fix?

I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

"%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

Dave

There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: UniControl

<599c73ecf6cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1137&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1137

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.goja.nl.eu.org!3.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!border2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.ams1.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:35:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:35 UTC

In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
> > monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
> > near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
> > perhaps used even more.

> > On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
> > perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

> > Any fix?

> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

> Dave

> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

My UniServer runs at startup but as soon as I send it a print job it
closes.

--
Chris Newman

Re: UniControl

<9542c09c59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1142&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1142

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:29:09 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 12:29 UTC

In message <599c73ecf6cvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
>> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>>> A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
>>> monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
>>> near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
>>> perhaps used even more.

>>> On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
>>> perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

>>> Any fix?

>> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

>> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

>> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

>> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

>> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

>> Dave

>> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

> My UniServer runs at startup but as soon as I send it a print job it
> closes.

I would agree that after a recent update to Win 10 Uniserver is a little
odd. On my win 10 machine, which is brand new, with the latest version of
10, Uniprint runs nearly every time on startup. I have it set up so that
the miniature icon appears on the icon bar on the right when it is
running. However when I attempt to print for the first time, I get an
error message from the Risc side, an ARMX6 that says something like the PC

is not connected or Uniserver is not running. What normally cures this is
running the full Uniserver application on the ARMX6 and selecting
Uniprint.

When this repopulates with list of printers, so yes it can see the PC
side, reselect the default printer which will be already highlighted, and
then clicking apply, everything then normally works ok. On the odd
occasion I also have to reboot the PC and then do the uniserver reselect.
NB if you get a network timeout error, you will normally have to reboot
the Win PC as if you check Uniprint you will normally find it thinks it is

receiving data, and if you try to cancel it says it will cancel at the end

of the page, but since it does not receive anymore data it will not clear,

so a reboot is the only option, or use of the Task Manager to kill
Uniprint, followed by a manual running of Uniprint.

Adrian

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: UniControl

<599cc851b1dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1144&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1144

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:57:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 13:57 UTC

In article <9542c09c59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>,
Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <599c73ecf6cvjazz@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> > Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

> >> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

> >> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

> >> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

> >> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

> >> Dave

> >> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

> > My UniServer runs at startup but as soon as I send it a print job it
> > closes.

> I would agree that after a recent update to Win 10 Uniserver is a little
> odd. On my win 10 machine, which is brand new, with the latest version
> of 10, Uniprint runs nearly every time on startup. I have it set up so
> that the miniature icon appears on the icon bar on the right when it is
> running. However when I attempt to print for the first time, I get an
> error message from the Risc side, an ARMX6 that says something like the
> PC

My PC too has UniPrint on the icon bar. But I don't see any printers on
UniControl. Indeed, non of it works.

> is not connected or Uniserver is not running. What normally cures this
> is running the full Uniserver application on the ARMX6 and selecting
> Uniprint.

> When this repopulates with list of printers, so yes it can see the PC
> side, reselect the default printer which will be already highlighted,
> and then clicking apply, everything then normally works ok. On the odd
> occasion I also have to reboot the PC and then do the uniserver
> reselect. NB if you get a network timeout error, you will normally have
> to reboot the Win PC as if you check Uniprint you will normally find it
> thinks it is

All I have to do is click on the UniPrint icon on the PC to get everything
working as normal.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: UniControl

<03edc99c59.Chris@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1145&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1145

From: chris.j....@btinternet.com (Chris Craig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:14:44 GMT
 by: Chris Craig - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 14:14 UTC

In message <9542c09c59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

Works OK here . Win 10 Home 64 bit 21H1

--
chris.j.craig@btinternet.com
ARMX6 RISC OS 5.29

Re: UniControl

<c487d39c59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1147&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1147

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:59:38 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:59 UTC

In message <03edc99c59.Chris@btinternet.com>
Chris Craig <chris.j.craig@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <9542c09c59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>
> Adrian Crafer <acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <599c73ecf6cvjazz@waitrose.com>
>> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

>>> My UniServer runs at startup but as soon as I send it a print job it
>>> closes.

>> I would agree that after a recent update to Win 10 Uniserver is a little
>> odd. On my win 10 machine, which is brand new, with the latest version of
>> 10, Uniprint runs nearly every time on startup. I have it set up so that
>> the miniature icon appears on the icon bar on the right when it is
>> running. However when I attempt to print for the first time, I get an
>> error message from the Risc side, an ARMX6 that says something like the PC

>> is not connected or Uniserver is not running. What normally cures this is
>> running the full Uniserver application on the ARMX6 and selecting
>> Uniprint.

>> When this repopulates with list of printers, so yes it can see the PC
>> side, reselect the default printer which will be already highlighted, and
>> then clicking apply, everything then normally works ok. On the odd
>> occasion I also have to reboot the PC and then do the uniserver reselect.
>> NB if you get a network timeout error, you will normally have to reboot
>> the Win PC as if you check Uniprint you will normally find it thinks it is

>> receiving data, and if you try to cancel it says it will cancel at the end

>> of the page, but since it does not receive anymore data it will not clear,

>> so a reboot is the only option, or use of the Task Manager to kill
>> Uniprint, followed by a manual running of Uniprint.

>> Adrian

>> --

> Works OK here . Win 10 Home 64 bit 21H1

Well not with Win 10 Pro 64 bit 21H2 but the problems actually started
with 21H1 plus an update or two on my previous machine which was Win 10
Home 64, and were also present when I changed to a new machine which for
some reason had not installed as 21H2 so started out at a similar update
state as the machine it replaced. So it may be a 21H1 update that is not
yet present on your machine. Half the updates are for a while on request,
but then they suddenly load without you asking.

Adrian

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: UniControl

<599d54b7a6dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1151&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1151

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:30:42 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:30 UTC

In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> > A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
> > monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
> > near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
> > perhaps used even more.

> > On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
> > perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

> > Any fix?

> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

> Dave

> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

I appear to already have the UniPrint shortcut in the Startup folder. Must
have been told to put it there.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: UniControl

<5c18719d59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1154&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1154

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:40:40 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 20:40 UTC

In message <599d54b7a6dave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <599c4eb05cdave@davenoise.co.uk>,
>> Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
>>> A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
>>> monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
>>> near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
>>> perhaps used even more.

>>> On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
>>> perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

>>> Any fix?

>> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

>> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

>> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

>> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

>> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

>> Dave

>> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

> I appear to already have the UniPrint shortcut in the Startup folder. Must
> have been told to put it there.

Check its in the startup section of Settings and set to be run. (not on my
PC at the moment).

--
Chris Hughes

Re: UniControl

<599dc0129fdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1156&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1156

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:03:20 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:03 UTC

In article <5c18719d59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <599d54b7a6dave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <599c655c47dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

> >> So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

> >> "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

> >> And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

> >> No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

> >> Dave

> >> There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.

> > I appear to already have the UniPrint shortcut in the Startup folder.
> > Must have been told to put it there.

> Check its in the startup section of Settings and set to be run. (not on
> my PC at the moment).

Yes it is.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: UniControl

<5b9d899e59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1171

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:44:41 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

In message <599dc0129fdave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <5c18719d59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <599d54b7a6dave@davenoise.co.uk>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I appear to already have the UniPrint shortcut in the Startup folder.
>>> Must have been told to put it there.

>> Check its in the startup section of Settings and set to be run. (not on
>> my PC at the moment).

> Yes it is.

I contacted Ian, however at at present he is having personnel difficulties
and cannot look at software problems.

Andrew of RComp etc is currently "on holiday" so I managed to contact him
in a roundabout way, and he said if everyone who is having trouble with
Uniprint please email him. Please supply details of how the problem
manifests itself (may be different for different set ups) and full details
of both the Riscos machine and the Windows setup, that obviously includes
the current build/update statuses.

Andrew will then look into it after Christmas.

Adrian

--

acrafer@orpheusmail.co.uk

Re: UniControl

<73eaee9e59.bz36@orpheusnet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1173&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1173

Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
From: acra...@orpheusmail.co.uk (Adrian Crafer)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:11:10 GMT
 by: Adrian Crafer - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:11 UTC