From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: The Portopia Serial Murder Case Remake (or SquareEnix does it again)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 13:15:08 -0400
 by: Metal Guru - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 17:15 UTC

"This software is a demonstration of Natural Language Processing (NLP),
an AI technology, as applied to the adventure game “The Portopia Serial
Murder Case” (first published in Japan in 1983). Talk to your partner,
give him instructions, and try to solve the string of mysterious murders."

Further down the page it states:

"However, the NLG function is omitted in this release because there
remains a risk of the AI generating unethical replies. We thank you for
your understanding. We will consider reintroducing this function as soon
as our research succeeds in creating an environment in which players can
enjoy the experience with peace of mind."

Why release the game at all if its shiny new feature has been removed?
Reviews are brutal, this supposed "classic" (never heard of it myself)
barely works by all accounts.

It's free on Steam (I said FREE, Spalls!) but I'm gonna sit this one out
for now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2280000/SQUARE_ENIX_AI_Tech_Preview_THE_PORTOPIA_SERIAL_MURDER_CASE/

--
We are monkeys with money and guns

Re: The Portopia Serial Murder Case Remake (or SquareEnix does it again)

<u2g6id$2dav2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11745&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11745

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: The Portopia Serial Murder Case Remake (or SquareEnix does it
again)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:18:51 +0100
 by: JAB - Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:18 UTC

On 26/04/2023 18:15, Metal Guru wrote:
> "This software is a demonstration of Natural Language Processing (NLP),
> an AI technology, as applied to the adventure game “The Portopia Serial
> Murder Case” (first published in Japan in 1983). Talk to your partner,
> give him instructions, and try to solve the string of mysterious murders."
>
> Further down the page it states:
>
> "However, the NLG function is omitted in this release because there
> remains a risk of the AI generating unethical replies. We thank you for
> your understanding. We will consider reintroducing this function as soon
> as our research succeeds in creating an environment in which players can
> enjoy the experience with peace of mind."
>
> Why release the game at all if its shiny new feature has been removed?
> Reviews are brutal, this supposed "classic" (never heard of it myself)
> barely works by all accounts.
>
> It's free on Steam (I said FREE, Spalls!) but I'm gonna sit this one out
> for now.
>
> https://store.steampowered.com/app/2280000/SQUARE_ENIX_AI_Tech_Preview_THE_PORTOPIA_SERIAL_MURDER_CASE/

Agreed, the concept I feel is good to get over the problem of playing
guess the right words to use that is/was so prevalent in text adventures
by why bother realising it in such a butchered state that it doesn't
demonstrate the concept. Well I suppose it's a better use of their time
than NFT's.