Subject: control-archive 1.9.0 released
From: Russ Allbery
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp, news.admin.hierarchies
Followup: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:35 UTC
From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 12:35:28 -0800
View all headers
I'm pleased to announce release 1.9.0 of control-archive.

This software generates an INN control.ctl configuration file from
hierarchy configuration fragments, verifies control messages using GnuPG
where possible, processes new control messages to update a newsgroup list,
archives new control messages, and exports the list of newsgroups in a
format suitable for synchronizing the newsgroup list of a Netnews news
server.  It is the software that maintains the control message and
newsgroup lists available from ftp.isc.org.

Changes from previous release:

    Use gpg1 instead of gpg in the Makefile and scripts/generate-files to
    support older keys.  Suppress warnings about keyring permissions when
    generating files.

    When verifying PGP signatures, require that the headers part of the
    X-PGP-Sig header contain a comma.  This more readily diagnoses a
    missing version field and improves the error message, instead of
    reporting that the Control header is not signed.

    Hierarchy updates:

    * Remove the dictator.* hierarchy (shuttered by its maintainer)
    * Add rocksolid.*
    * Fix line endings in nntpworld.* key
    * Replace the fr.* key and URLs and add a key fingerprint

You can download it from:

    https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/control-archive/

This package is maintained using Git; see the instructions on the above
page to access the Git repository.

Please let me know of any problems or feature requests not already listed
in the TODO file.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)             https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/

          Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
     https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html explains why.

Subject: Re: control-archive 1.9.0 released
From: Julien_ÉLIE
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp, news.admin.hierarchies
Followup: news.software.nntp
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 22:53 UTC
From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien_ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.admin.hierarchies
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 23:53:47 +0100
View all headers
Hi Russ,

I'm pleased to announce release 1.9.0 of control-archive.

Many thanks for this release.  Greatly appreciated!

* Replace the fr.* key and URLs and add a key fingerprint
*grin*
Works pretty good.  I have just sent a checkgroups with a few description improvements.  It was properly honoured by control-archive.

This software generates an INN control.ctl configuration file

FWIW, if there are users of C News and DNews reading us, you can find auto-generated C News controlperm and DNews control.conf there:
   http://usenet.trigofacile.com/hierarchies/data/

And also a newsgroups file with descriptions entirely in UTF-8 :-)

All generated from ftp.isc.org data.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Le bonheur, c'est vouloir ce que l'on a. »