From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Detecting eavedropping devices in PC parts?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 00:08:54 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:08 UTC

Is there an easy way to check wehther a certain PC component has
eavedropping device ATTACHED? :)

Re: Detecting eavedropping devices in PC parts?

<tsrhmg$4vhc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1182&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1182

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Detecting eavedropping devices in PC parts?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 16:58:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 18 Feb 2023 21:58 UTC

On 2/18/2023 11:08 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Is there an easy way to check wehther a certain PC component has eavedropping device ATTACHED? :)

As microphones go, both electret and MEMS microphones are
rather large. And could be seen by visual inspection.

Electronics do not need Plug and Play (PNP) information
to work. PNP is only necessary if software on the
computer is part of the surveillance solution.

Typically, to bug a room, you use an RF microphone and
no computer is needed.

However, certain brands of TV set (Samsung?) have a microphone
and can listen. You might want to research LCD TV sets and
see which ones are doing things they should not be doing.

Purposeful listening devices ("Alexa") use array microphones,
so multiple microphones are visible on the printed circuit board.

A computer is a poor place for surveillance devices, due to
fan noise and the vibrations of hard drives.

Paul

Re: Detecting eavedropping devices in PC parts?

<tssdoh$aksc$1@toylet.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1183&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1183

From: toylet.t...@gmail.com (Mr. Man-wai Chang)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 13:57:30 +0800
 by: Mr. Man-wai Chang - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 05:57 UTC

On 19/2/2023 5:58 am, Paul wrote:
> On 2/18/2023 11:08 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>>
>> Is there an easy way to check wehther a certain PC component has eavedropping device ATTACHED? :)
>
> As microphones go, both electret and MEMS microphones are
> rather large. And could be seen by visual inspection.
>
> Electronics do not need Plug and Play (PNP) information
> to work. PNP is only necessary if software on the
> computer is part of the surveillance solution.
>
> Typically, to bug a room, you use an RF microphone...
Thanks! I notice that Amazon was selling some bug detectors and camera
detector, rather expensive.

Amazon.com : bug device sacnner
<https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bug+device+sacnner>

Re: Detecting eavedropping devices in PC parts?

<tstbju$dp54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1184&group=alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt#1184

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 09:27:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 14:27 UTC

On 2/19/2023 12:57 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 19/2/2023 5:58 am, Paul wrote:
>> On 2/18/2023 11:08 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there an easy way to check wehther a certain PC component has eavedropping device ATTACHED? :)
>>
>> As microphones go, both electret and MEMS microphones are
>> rather large. And could be seen by visual inspection.
>>
>> Electronics do not need Plug and Play (PNP) information
>> to work. PNP is only necessary if software on the
>> computer is part of the surveillance solution.
>>
>> Typically, to bug a room, you use an RF microphone...
> Thanks! I notice that Amazon was selling some bug detectors and camera detector, rather expensive.
>
> Amazon.com : bug device sacnner
> <https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bug+device+sacnner>

One of the vice presidents at work, he had a special
meeting room build, with sound proofing and two levels
of walls.

Before a high level meeting in the room, a "scanning crew"
was sent by security, to scan for RF bugs. Just like
in the movies :-) This means in the real world, there
is such a risk.

One other building here, it was completely gutted
inside, before a new tenant moved into it. It took
two years, to refit the inside of the building (new
gypsum board walls and the lot). All the wiring
in the false floor was removed (everything electrical,
cleaned right out). That is how seriously
the tenant took their security. They did not even
bother to use scanning, and did not want to take
the risk that a device would "sleep" for a period of
time, before transmitting.

So yes, surveillance is a thing, and it costs money
to fix.

Paul