Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

SubjectAuthor
* Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Ant
`* Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Spalls Hurgenson
 +- Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!rms
 `* Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Ant
  `* Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Spalls Hurgenson
   `* Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Ant
    `- Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!Spalls Hurgenson

1
Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<UrucnY5vNoUdD8j5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11822&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11822

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,free.games.wolfenstein,alt.games.wolfenstein
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 23:34:24 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 5 May 2023 23:34 UTC

I remember playing it on my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC with 1 MB
of RAM and an original SB card! ;)
--
"Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit... Repent and live!" --Ezekiel 18:31-32. May da 5th(also Cinco de Mayo) & 2morrow 6th B with U 4 da dark side. LAL lost their team's force last nite 2 beat GSW. Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!
| |o o| |

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<geuc5i1vq4s6hir37r44nk6g299cshh2s8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11826&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11826

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!
Date: Sat, 06 May 2023 12:07:33 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 6 May 2023 16:07 UTC

On Fri, 05 May 2023 23:34:24 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>I remember playing it on my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC with 1 MB
>of RAM and an original SB card! ;)

I think I had, at the time, a 386/25 with 3MB* RAM. The sound-card is
a bit trickier; it was probably a Media Vision Thunderboard, which was
a cheap SoundBlaster clone but still a huge improvement over the
ear-piercing beeps of the PC speaker.

Wolfenstein 3D was impressive tech for its time, even if I couldn't
really appreciate how cool it was. The gameplay was less impressive
(even back in '92, I quickly grew tired of the mazelike levels).
Still, it was good enough for me to buy the other episodes.

I still wish they'd make a proper sequel/modernization of the original
Wolfenstein games though...

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<u36cfo$306ip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11827&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11827

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 14:14:46 -0600
 by: rms - Sat, 6 May 2023 20:14 UTC

>Wolfenstein 3D was impressive tech for its time

I think I played it at some point after finishing RTCW. Didn't one of
the more recent Wolf games have levels from it playable in hidden areas?
That may be what I'm actually recalling as playing. Doom2016 had something
similar as well.

In any case, I have no interest in re-visiting Wolf3d. Actually at the
moment, I can't dredge up any enthusiasm for nazi-killing games: The last
Wolf I have played, The New Colossus, felt tiresome and played out to me,
and Youngblood is apparently even worse; and Sniper Elite 5 gave boring and
pointless new depths of meaning.

rms

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<qM-dndrozv5Hmsr5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11833&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11833

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 02:07:22 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 7 May 2023 02:07 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2023 23:34:24 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >I remember playing it on my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC with 1 MB
> >of RAM and an original SB card! ;)

> I think I had, at the time, a 386/25 with 3MB* RAM. The sound-card is
> a bit trickier; it was probably a Media Vision Thunderboard, which was
> a cheap SoundBlaster clone but still a huge improvement over the
> ear-piercing beeps of the PC speaker.

> Wolfenstein 3D was impressive tech for its time, even if I couldn't
> really appreciate how cool it was. The gameplay was less impressive
> (even back in '92, I quickly grew tired of the mazelike levels).
> Still, it was good enough for me to buy the other episodes.

> I still wish they'd make a proper sequel/modernization of the original
> Wolfenstein games though...

Are you talking about Muse Software's before Wolf3D? If so, then I'd
love to see FPS version based on that like hiding bodies, dressing up as
Nazis, etc.

--
"[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only ours but also for the sins of the whole world." --1 John 2:2. May da 6th B with U 4 da dark side & I B coronated.
| |o o| |

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<66if5i55c3kqr7dd7dc1j1hj6mmevdv0tk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11838&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11838

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 11:57:51 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 7 May 2023 15:57 UTC

On Sun, 07 May 2023 02:07:22 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 May 2023 23:34:24 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>> >I remember playing it on my IBM PS/2 model 30 286 10 Mhz PC with 1 MB
>> >of RAM and an original SB card! ;)
>
>> I think I had, at the time, a 386/25 with 3MB* RAM. The sound-card is
>> a bit trickier; it was probably a Media Vision Thunderboard, which was
>> a cheap SoundBlaster clone but still a huge improvement over the
>> ear-piercing beeps of the PC speaker.
>
>> Wolfenstein 3D was impressive tech for its time, even if I couldn't
>> really appreciate how cool it was. The gameplay was less impressive
>> (even back in '92, I quickly grew tired of the mazelike levels).
>> Still, it was good enough for me to buy the other episodes.
>
>> I still wish they'd make a proper sequel/modernization of the original
>> Wolfenstein games though...
>
>Are you talking about Muse Software's before Wolf3D? If so, then I'd
>love to see FPS version based on that like hiding bodies, dressing up as
>Nazis, etc.

That's the one. Complete with some of the first digitized speech I
ever heard from a computer. I'd like to see the mechanics (and
viewpoint) of the original redone for modern computers. Heck, I'd be
happy even with a halfway decent port that didn't use the original's
awful controls (QERASDZXC for moving, IOPKL;<>/ for aiming your gun)
and had sound that didn't make my ears bleed. I can live with the
primitive graphics but those two features just gotta go.

I'm actually surprised nobody has ever attempted a remake, either
officially or unofficially. I can get if Id/Activision don't do it
(either because they're only licensed to do 3D versions of the game,
or because they don't want to cannibalize their 3D game sales), but
fans are usually more pro-active.

But I've searched, and never found a sign. So either my google-fu is
weak (possibly) or the game is too old to be remembered.

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<3XWdnTKzwejjysX5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11842&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11842

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 01:59:26 +0000
 by: Ant - Mon, 8 May 2023 01:59 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2023 02:07:22 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I think I had, at the time, a 386/25 with 3MB* RAM. The sound-card is
> >> a bit trickier; it was probably a Media Vision Thunderboard, which was
> >> a cheap SoundBlaster clone but still a huge improvement over the
> >> ear-piercing beeps of the PC speaker.
> >
> >> Wolfenstein 3D was impressive tech for its time, even if I couldn't
> >> really appreciate how cool it was. The gameplay was less impressive
> >> (even back in '92, I quickly grew tired of the mazelike levels).
> >> Still, it was good enough for me to buy the other episodes.
> >
> >> I still wish they'd make a proper sequel/modernization of the original
> >> Wolfenstein games though...
> >
> >Are you talking about Muse Software's before Wolf3D? If so, then I'd
> >love to see FPS version based on that like hiding bodies, dressing up as
> >Nazis, etc.

> That's the one. Complete with some of the first digitized speech I
> ever heard from a computer. I'd like to see the mechanics (and
> viewpoint) of the original redone for modern computers. Heck, I'd be
> happy even with a halfway decent port that didn't use the original's
> awful controls (QERASDZXC for moving, IOPKL;<>/ for aiming your gun)
> and had sound that didn't make my ears bleed. I can live with the
> primitive graphics but those two features just gotta go.

> I'm actually surprised nobody has ever attempted a remake, either
> officially or unofficially. I can get if Id/Activision don't do it
> (either because they're only licensed to do 3D versions of the game,
> or because they don't want to cannibalize their 3D game sales), but
> fans are usually more pro-active.

> But I've searched, and never found a sign. So either my google-fu is
> weak (possibly) or the game is too old to be remembered.

Yep. A remaster of the original game would be OK with me. I'm more
surprised that no one modded Wolfenstein FPSes or make their own custom
version (not using original game contents) to follow the original game's
rules. :( Maybe we should do it. Ha! :P

--
"Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all our sins and heals all our diseases..." --Psalm 103:2-3. Male alates doesn't get coronated 2 B a king. Yay 4 LAL & 76ers!
| |o o| |

Re: Wolf3D is 31 yrs. old!

<h03i5i5k4e2ohk3bbhul41pivlojm753l8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=11849&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#11849

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 10:50:50 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 8 May 2023 14:50 UTC

On Mon, 08 May 2023 01:59:26 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Yep. A remaster of the original game would be OK with me. I'm more
>surprised that no one modded Wolfenstein FPSes or make their own custom
>version (not using original game contents) to follow the original game's
>rules. :( Maybe we should do it. Ha! :P

If anyone ever does, I'm claiming full credit for the idea. ;-)

....unless that would somehow get me into legal jeopardy, in which case
it was Ant all along ;-P