For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat, and wrong. -- H. L. Mencken

computers / news.software.readers / Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

SubjectAuthor
* Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird brokenPluted Pup
+* Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird brokenBTR1701
|`* Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards --anim8rfsk
| `* Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird brokenA Friend
|  `- Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards --anim8rfsk
+* Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird brokenAdam H. Kerman
|`- Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird brokenUbiquitous
`- Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- ThunderbirdRhino

1
Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<0001HW.290716070081A1E930E51B38F@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1184&group=news.software.readers#1184

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 11:50:47 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv, news.software.readers
 by: Pluted Pup - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 18:50 UTC

On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:00:51 -0700, Rhino2 wrote
(in article<b94e42a5-762e-4538-84c3-9daa30cf2bf3n@googlegroups.com>):

> I just saw an interesting story about how religious celebrations, in this case the Hindu Diwali celebration, creates public health hazards that have the potential to affect far more than just the celebrants.
>
> https://www.cp24.com/news/environment-canada-province-warn-of-possible-deteriorating-air-quality-due-to-diwali-fireworks-1.6121909
>
> It's not every day that such things are said openly. I wonder if the website will be criticized for xenophobia or some other variant of racism? Will we see similar health advisories for other events involving fireworks, like Canada Day?
>
> [I'm posting via Google Groups again because the update to Thunderbird which fixed my original problem with not seeing newer posts only worked once; I'm back to not getting any newer posts with Thunderbird. I checked to see what port I was using and it was 119, the port that seems to work better, so I switched to the other port, 553, but it didn't make any difference so I switched back to 119. The search for an actual fix goes on. I tried looking for an alternate newsreader but they virtually all require you to pay a subscription fee and I am very reluctant to do that.]

I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.

So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? The updates messed up
Thunderbird on Macs too, making it unusable to read usenet, and I tried
in vain to use an older version of Thunderbird. But it still can
post, I've noticed that newsreaders ruined by either newsreader updates
on Thunderbird or Mac updates on Mac can still post but can no longer
read news. Reading news seems to be some difficult programming since
newsreaders are so bad at it.

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<atropos-027DBA.12441624102022@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1185&group=news.software.readers#1185

From: atro...@mac.com (BTR1701)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 12:44:16 -0700
 by: BTR1701 - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 19:44 UTC

In article <0001HW.290716070081A1E930E51B38F@news.giganews.com>,
Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:00:51 -0700, Rhino2 wrote
> (in article<b94e42a5-762e-4538-84c3-9daa30cf2bf3n@googlegroups.com>):
>
> > I just saw an interesting story about how religious celebrations, in this
> > case the Hindu Diwali celebration, creates public health hazards that have
> > the potential to affect far more than just the celebrants.
> >
> > https://www.cp24.com/news/environment-canada-province-warn-of-possible-deter
> > iorating-air-quality-due-to-diwali-fireworks-1.6121909
> >
> > It's not every day that such things are said openly. I wonder if the
> > website will be criticized for xenophobia or some other variant of racism?
> > Will we see similar health advisories for other events involving fireworks,
> > like Canada Day?
> >
> > [I'm posting via Google Groups again because the update to Thunderbird
> > which fixed my original problem with not seeing newer posts only worked
> > once; I'm back to not getting any newer posts with Thunderbird. I checked
> > to see what port I was using and it was 119, the port that seems to work
> > better, so I switched to the other port, 553, but it didn't make any
> > difference so I switched back to 119. The search for an actual fix goes on.
> > I tried looking for an alternate newsreader but they virtually all require
> > you to pay a subscription fee and I am very reluctant to do that.]
>
> I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.
>
> So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? The updates messed up
> Thunderbird on Macs too, making it unusable to read usenet, and I tried
> in vain to use an older version of Thunderbird. But it still can
> post, I've noticed that newsreaders ruined by either newsreader updates
> on Thunderbird or Mac updates on Mac can still post but can no longer
> read news. Reading news seems to be some difficult programming since
> newsreaders are so bad at it.

One of the reasons I still operate an old Mac Pro tower running OS-X
10.8.5 is that's the last version of OS-X that MT-Newswatcher will run
on. The next OS upgrade up from that breaks Newswatcher and the
developer never upgraded the app to account for it. So I'm frozen in
time on that machine.

(I also use it for my music engraving work because Finale 2009 also will
not work on the newer versions of the Mac OS. Unlike Newswatcher, Finale
has been upgraded but the newest version has been completely revamped
from the ground up. It took me years to learn to proficiently use Finale
the old way and I don't feel like re-learning it all over again. Plus,
they stupidly made it so the new version can't read documents created by
the old version, which would make thousands of files I've worked on over
the years useless.)

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<tj6ths$1ou96$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1186&group=news.software.readers#1186

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:45:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:45 UTC

Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:

>I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.

>So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? . . .

How many people do we know that post trolls via Giganews and change the
crosspost in many followups?

Are you still not going to acknowledge who this is a sockpuppet of,
Stasiak?

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<tj6v7j$1ofqm$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1187&group=news.software.readers#1187

From: no_offli...@example.com (Rhino)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird
broken
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 17:14:25 -0400
 by: Rhino - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 21:14 UTC

On 2022-10-24 2:50 PM, Pluted Pup wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:00:51 -0700, Rhino2 wrote
> (in article<b94e42a5-762e-4538-84c3-9daa30cf2bf3n@googlegroups.com>):
>
>> I just saw an interesting story about how religious celebrations, in this case the Hindu Diwali celebration, creates public health hazards that have the potential to affect far more than just the celebrants.
>>
>> https://www.cp24.com/news/environment-canada-province-warn-of-possible-deteriorating-air-quality-due-to-diwali-fireworks-1.6121909
>>
>> It's not every day that such things are said openly. I wonder if the website will be criticized for xenophobia or some other variant of racism? Will we see similar health advisories for other events involving fireworks, like Canada Day?
>>
>> [I'm posting via Google Groups again because the update to Thunderbird which fixed my original problem with not seeing newer posts only worked once; I'm back to not getting any newer posts with Thunderbird. I checked to see what port I was using and it was 119, the port that seems to work better, so I switched to the other port, 553, but it didn't make any difference so I switched back to 119. The search for an actual fix goes on. I tried looking for an alternate newsreader but they virtually all require you to pay a subscription fee and I am very reluctant to do that.]
>
> I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.
>
> So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? The updates messed up
> Thunderbird on Macs too, making it unusable to read usenet, and I tried
> in vain to use an older version of Thunderbird. But it still can
> post, I've noticed that newsreaders ruined by either newsreader updates
> on Thunderbird or Mac updates on Mac can still post but can no longer
> read news. Reading news seems to be some difficult programming since
> newsreaders are so bad at it.

I just set the port number to 563 and seem to be able to read new posts
- even ones I just posted - so maybe the problem is gone again. Here's
hoping!

--
Rhino

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<1515211760.688341710.917716.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1188&group=news.software.readers#1188

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Subject: Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards --
Thunderbird broken
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:11:05 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 22:11 UTC

BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.290716070081A1E930E51B38F@news.giganews.com>,
> Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:00:51 -0700, Rhino2 wrote
>> (in article<b94e42a5-762e-4538-84c3-9daa30cf2bf3n@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>>> I just saw an interesting story about how religious celebrations, in this
>>> case the Hindu Diwali celebration, creates public health hazards that have
>>> the potential to affect far more than just the celebrants.
>>>
>>> https://www.cp24.com/news/environment-canada-province-warn-of-possible-deter
>>> iorating-air-quality-due-to-diwali-fireworks-1.6121909
>>>
>>> It's not every day that such things are said openly. I wonder if the
>>> website will be criticized for xenophobia or some other variant of racism?
>>> Will we see similar health advisories for other events involving fireworks,
>>> like Canada Day?
>>>
>>> [I'm posting via Google Groups again because the update to Thunderbird
>>> which fixed my original problem with not seeing newer posts only worked
>>> once; I'm back to not getting any newer posts with Thunderbird. I checked
>>> to see what port I was using and it was 119, the port that seems to work
>>> better, so I switched to the other port, 553, but it didn't make any
>>> difference so I switched back to 119. The search for an actual fix goes on.
>>> I tried looking for an alternate newsreader but they virtually all require
>>> you to pay a subscription fee and I am very reluctant to do that.]
>>
>> I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.
>>
>> So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? The updates messed up
>> Thunderbird on Macs too, making it unusable to read usenet, and I tried
>> in vain to use an older version of Thunderbird. But it still can
>> post, I've noticed that newsreaders ruined by either newsreader updates
>> on Thunderbird or Mac updates on Mac can still post but can no longer
>> read news. Reading news seems to be some difficult programming since
>> newsreaders are so bad at it.
>
> One of the reasons I still operate an old Mac Pro tower running OS-X
> 10.8.5 is that's the last version of OS-X that MT-Newswatcher will run
> on. The next OS upgrade up from that breaks Newswatcher and the
> developer never upgraded the app to account for it. So I'm frozen in
> time on that machine.
>
> (I also use it for my music engraving work because Finale 2009 also will
> not work on the newer versions of the Mac OS. Unlike Newswatcher, Finale
> has been upgraded but the newest version has been completely revamped
> from the ground up. It took me years to learn to proficiently use Finale
> the old way and I don't feel like re-learning it all over again. Plus,
> they stupidly made it so the new version can't read documents created by
> the old version, which would make thousands of files I've worked on over
> the years useless.)

That mountain lion? I don’t think I ever got that far.

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<241020222144155007%nope@noway.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1191&group=news.software.readers#1191

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 21:44:15 -0400
 by: A Friend - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 01:44 UTC

In article
anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
> > In article <0001HW.290716070081A1E930E51B38F@news.giganews.com>,
> > Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:00:51 -0700, Rhino2 wrote
> >> (in article<b94e42a5-762e-4538-84c3-9daa30cf2bf3n@googlegroups.com>):

> >> I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.
> >>
> >> So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? The updates messed up
> >> Thunderbird on Macs too, making it unusable to read usenet, and I tried
> >> in vain to use an older version of Thunderbird. But it still can
> >> post, I've noticed that newsreaders ruined by either newsreader updates
> >> on Thunderbird or Mac updates on Mac can still post but can no longer
> >> read news. Reading news seems to be some difficult programming since
> >> newsreaders are so bad at it.
> >
> > One of the reasons I still operate an old Mac Pro tower running OS-X
> > 10.8.5 is that's the last version of OS-X that MT-Newswatcher will run
> > on. The next OS upgrade up from that breaks Newswatcher and the
> > developer never upgraded the app to account for it. So I'm frozen in
> > time on that machine.
> >
> > (I also use it for my music engraving work because Finale 2009 also will
> > not work on the newer versions of the Mac OS. Unlike Newswatcher, Finale
> > has been upgraded but the newest version has been completely revamped
> > from the ground up. It took me years to learn to proficiently use Finale
> > the old way and I don't feel like re-learning it all over again. Plus,
> > they stupidly made it so the new version can't read documents created by
> > the old version, which would make thousands of files I've worked on over
> > the years useless.)
> >

> That mountain lion? I don¹t think I ever got that far.

I'm still using Sierra, 10.12.6. Everything I use works with it (some
of my stuff is really old), and I don't care about the bells and
whistles that came along in later OSs.

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<961959386.688366177.542519.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1193&group=news.software.readers#1193

Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Thunderbird broken
From: anim8r...@cox.net (anim8rfsk)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 22:13:23 -0700
 by: anim8rfsk - Tue, 25 Oct 2022 05:13 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article
> <1515211760.688341710.917716.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>> One of the reasons I still operate an old Mac Pro tower running OS-X
>>> 10.8.5 is that's the last version of OS-X that MT-Newswatcher will run
>>> on. The next OS upgrade up from that breaks Newswatcher and the
>>> developer never upgraded the app to account for it. So I'm frozen in
>>> time on that machine.
>>>
>>> (I also use it for my music engraving work because Finale 2009 also will
>>> not work on the newer versions of the Mac OS. Unlike Newswatcher, Finale
>>> has been upgraded but the newest version has been completely revamped
>>> from the ground up. It took me years to learn to proficiently use Finale
>>> the old way and I don't feel like re-learning it all over again. Plus,
>>> they stupidly made it so the new version can't read documents created by
>>> the old version, which would make thousands of files I've worked on over
>>> the years useless.)
>>>

>> That mountain lion? I don¹t think I ever got that far.
>

> I'm still using Sierra, 10.12.6. Everything I use works with it (some
> of my stuff is really old), and I don't care about the bells and
> whistles that came along in later OSs.

Yeah. There’s a major problem with Cinema4D which was the 3-D program I’ve
been using for the last decade. They did a major re-working after version
19 and your old files are kaput. The workaround is that you open anything
older than version 19 in version 19 and re-save it and then they’ll open in
newer versions than 19. But I understand 19 won’t run on newer systems like
the metal stuff so you sort of have to have a classic computer dedicated
just for conversion. Or stop going forward. And I’d have to buy Cinema4D
all over again for the newer versions which would be thousands of dollars.

Re: [OT] Religious celebrations create health hazards -- Thunderbird broken

<tjdqmf$2ocpp$7@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1195&group=news.software.readers#1195

Followup: alt.troll.adam-h-kerman
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,news.software.readers
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 04:30:46 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 08:30 UTC

In article <tj6ths$1ou96$4@dont-email.me>, ahk@chinet.com wrote:
> Pluted Pup <plutedpup@outlook.com> wrote:

>> I think the port to use is 563 for SSL encryption.
>> So Thunderbird updates broke on Windows too? . . .
>
> How many people do we know that post trolls

You tell us, Kerman.

--
Let's go Brandon!