Basic is a high level languish. APL is a high level anguish.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / O Browser

SubjectAuthor
* O BrowserChris Newman
`* Re: O BrowserChris Hughes
 +- Re: O BrowserChris Newman
 `* Re: O BrowserHarriet Bazley
  +- Re: O BrowserChris Newman
  `* Re: O BrowserChris Newman
   `* Re: O BrowserTheo
    `* Re: O BrowserChris Newman
     `* Re: O BrowserTheo
      `- Re: O BrowserChris Newman

1
O Browser

<59a3f4dd7fcvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1192&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1192

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: O Browser
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 12:17:10 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 12:17 UTC

Hi,

I thought I'd give O browser a whirl but got the following

message.....12:13:02.26 ** WimpError ** from Otter Browser FE
Error : &00000000
Message: Although you have !SharedLibs (probably in !Boot.Resources),
it is missing necessary shared libraries. Please see Readme.

Readme wasn't much help. Where do I get whatever is missing?

--
Chris Newman

Re: O Browser

<848ef6a359.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1193&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1193

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: O Browser
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 12:35:38 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 12:35 UTC

In message <59a3f4dd7fcvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I thought I'd give O browser a whirl but got the following

> message.....12:13:02.26 ** WimpError ** from Otter Browser FE
> Error : &00000000
> Message: Although you have !SharedLibs (probably in !Boot.Resources),
> it is missing necessary shared libraries. Please see Readme.

> Readme wasn't much help. Where do I get whatever is missing?

I suspect you have not updated the !SharedLibs ?

There would have been an updated !SharedLibs on the CD with !Obrowser or
in the ZIp file.

Otherwise you could probably updated it via Packman - Backup your
existing !SharedLibs first, although Packman is supposed to do an
automatic backup if it already exist, I use belt and braces system.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: O Browser

<59a3ff2c38cvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1194&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1194

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 14:09:45 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:09 UTC

In article <848ef6a359.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>, Chris Hughes
<news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59a3f4dd7fcvjazz@waitrose.com> Chris Newman
> <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > I thought I'd give O browser a whirl but got the following

> > message.....12:13:02.26 ** WimpError ** from Otter Browser FE Error
> > : &00000000 Message: Although you have !SharedLibs (probably in
> > !Boot.Resources), it is missing necessary shared libraries. Please
> > see Readme.

> > Readme wasn't much help. Where do I get whatever is missing?

> I suspect you have not updated the !SharedLibs ?

> There would have been an updated !SharedLibs on the CD with !Obrowser
> or in the ZIp file.

> Otherwise you could probably updated it via Packman - Backup your
> existing !SharedLibs first, although Packman is supposed to do an
> automatic backup if it already exist, I use belt and braces system.

I got SharedLibs103 (25-Oct02021) from the Riscos developments site.
I presumed this to be the latest but when I looked at its history file
the last update 103 is dated 24/8/06.

Confused!!!

--
Chris Newman

Re: O Browser

<b3b800a459.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1195&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1195

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 14:26:40 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:26 UTC

On 1 Jan 2022 as I do recall,
Chris Hughes wrote:

> In message <59a3f4dd7fcvjazz@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I thought I'd give O browser a whirl but got the following
>
> > message.....12:13:02.26 ** WimpError ** from Otter Browser FE
> > Error : &00000000
> > Message: Although you have !SharedLibs (probably in !Boot.Resources),
> > it is missing necessary shared libraries. Please see Readme.
>

> > Readme wasn't much help. Where do I get whatever is missing?
>
> I suspect you have not updated the !SharedLibs ?
>
> There would have been an updated !SharedLibs on the CD with !Obrowser or
> in the ZIp file.
>
> Otherwise you could probably updated it via Packman - Backup your
> existing !SharedLibs first, although Packman is supposed to do an
> automatic backup if it already exist, I use belt and braces system.

My OBrowser stopped working last February after I updated Packman, which
updated !SharedLibs - I suspect RComp's version is extremely customised
(and I still haven't got round to trying to get it working again. I
can't find my original CD, unfortunately).

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Joseph Stalin's grave was a Communist Plot.

Re: O Browser

<59a405a92ccvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1196&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1196

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 15:20:39 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:20 UTC

In article <b3b800a459.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>, Harriet Bazley
<harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2022 as I do recall, Chris Hughes wrote:

> > In message <59a3f4dd7fcvjazz@waitrose.com> Chris Newman
> > <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > I thought I'd give O browser a whirl but got the following
> >
> > > message.....12:13:02.26 ** WimpError ** from Otter Browser FE
> > > Error : &00000000 Message: Although you have !SharedLibs
> > > (probably in !Boot.Resources), it is missing necessary shared
> > > libraries. Please see Readme.
> >

> > > Readme wasn't much help. Where do I get whatever is missing?
> >
> > I suspect you have not updated the !SharedLibs ?
> >
> > There would have been an updated !SharedLibs on the CD with !Obrowser
> > or in the ZIp file.
> >
> > Otherwise you could probably updated it via Packman - Backup your
> > existing !SharedLibs first, although Packman is supposed to do an
> > automatic backup if it already exist, I use belt and braces system.
> >
> My OBrowser stopped working last February after I updated Packman,
> which updated !SharedLibs - I suspect RComp's version is extremely
> customised (and I still haven't got round to trying to get it working
> again. I can't find my original CD, unfortunately).

Ah! That would explain it.

--
Chris Newman

Re: O Browser

<59a598441dcvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1219

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 16:38:08 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 16:38 UTC

In article <b3b800a459.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,

> > Otherwise you could probably updated it via Packman - Backup your
> > existing !SharedLibs first, although Packman is supposed to do an
> > automatic backup if it already exist, I use belt and braces system.
> >
> My OBrowser stopped working last February after I updated Packman, which
> updated !SharedLibs - I suspect RComp's version is extremely customised
> (and I still haven't got round to trying to get it working again. I
> can't find my original CD, unfortunately).

Can !SharedLibs be updated manually without the need for Packman?

--
Chris Newman

Re: O Browser

<BBe*svyDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1222&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1222

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: 05 Jan 2022 22:01:47 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 22:01 UTC

Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> Can !SharedLibs be updated manually without the need for Packman?

You can download all the pieces and install them manually - the archives are
just zip files. Although Packman then won't be able to upgrade things
automatically - it'll prompt before it backs up files it wants to bring
under its own management. If you are 'too clever' there is a risk it won't
get things quite right. At the end of the day you don't need to use
Packman, it's just a tool to automate this process, but you can do
everything by hand.

I haven't used Obrowser or Iris, but Andrew said Iris used a version of
!SharedLibs embedded inside it - which may not mesh nicely with a system
wide one. He was looking into making that work more smoothly a few months
back - I'm not sure where he got to on that.

Theo

Re: O Browser

<59a69b042acvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1223

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 15:44:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:44 UTC

In article <BBe*svyDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > Can !SharedLibs be updated manually without the need for Packman?

> You can download all the pieces and install them manually - the
> archives are just zip files. Although Packman then won't be able to
> upgrade things automatically - it'll prompt before it backs up files it
> wants to bring under its own management. If you are 'too clever' there
> is a risk it won't get things quite right. At the end of the day you
> don't need to use Packman, it's just a tool to automate this process,
> but you can do everything by hand.

Thanks for that. Where do I go to get the relevant SharedLibs files?

> I haven't used Obrowser or Iris, but Andrew said Iris used a version of
> !SharedLibs embedded inside it - which may not mesh nicely with a
> system wide one. He was looking into making that work more smoothly a
> few months back - I'm not sure where he got to on that.

I think that might have been done. When I first bought Iris from the
!Store I got an error message with !SharedLibs in Boot.Resources so I
took it out. I recently tried SharedLibs again & now there seems to be no
clash.

--
Chris Newman

Re: O Browser

<yBe*kODDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1224

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: 06 Jan 2022 22:07:36 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 22:07 UTC

Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <BBe*svyDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > > Can !SharedLibs be updated manually without the need for Packman?
>
> > You can download all the pieces and install them manually - the
> > archives are just zip files. Although Packman then won't be able to
> > upgrade things automatically - it'll prompt before it backs up files it
> > wants to bring under its own management. If you are 'too clever' there
> > is a risk it won't get things quite right. At the end of the day you
> > don't need to use Packman, it's just a tool to automate this process,
> > but you can do everything by hand.
>
> Thanks for that. Where do I go to get the relevant SharedLibs files?

Probably:
http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Packages
assuming someone has uploaded suitably recent builds.

You would first need to know which packages Obrowser needs.
There is a list for Otter-browser:
http://www.riscos.info/packages/NetworkDetails.html#Otter-browserarm

but that's probably out of date. If you have the package zipfile for
Obrowser the list should be inside in RiscPkg.Control, although you then
need to follow the dependencies manually (ie if Obrowser depends on X, and X
depends on Y, and Y on Z, you'd need all three)

Theo

Re: O Browser

<59a6c75a8dcvjazz@waitrose.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1225

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 23:48:42 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 23:48 UTC

In article <yBe*kODDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> > In article <BBe*svyDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> > <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > You can download all the pieces and install them manually - the
> > > archives are just zip files. Although Packman then won't be able
> > > to upgrade things automatically - it'll prompt before it backs up
> > > files it wants to bring under its own management. If you are 'too
> > > clever' there is a risk it won't get things quite right. At the
> > > end of the day you don't need to use Packman, it's just a tool to
> > > automate this process, but you can do everything by hand.
> >
> > Thanks for that. Where do I go to get the relevant SharedLibs files?

> Probably: http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Packages assuming someone
> has uploaded suitably recent builds.

> You would first need to know which packages Obrowser needs. There is a
> list for Otter-browser:
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/NetworkDetails.html#Otter-browserarm

> but that's probably out of date. If you have the package zipfile for
> Obrowser the list should be inside in RiscPkg.Control, although you
> then need to follow the dependencies manually (ie if Obrowser depends
> on X, and X depends on Y, and Y on Z, you'd need all three)

Thanks, Theo. Looks a bit of a faff. I'll have a go when I get a window
of opportinity, as they say.

Iris is doing quite well. I just wondered what O browser had to offfer.

--
Chris Newman