From: RudolphR...@nospam.net (Rudolph Rhein)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: [dialog] Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 05:41:25 +0200
 by: Rudolph Rhein - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 03:41 UTC

Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?

Was lurking on the Android newsgroup (comp.mobile.android) and ran into a
thread opened on Tue, 1 Nov 2022 with subject "Is there some time proven
sandbox program for protecting androids?" and with the unique Message-ID:
<b2bc34a12eb87594e3ee028d93f8cd8f@dizum.com> where people were suggesting
Dialog (see below) and I tried to _find_ it but couldn't find it for them!

What's the pointer, nowadays, for Windows 40Tude Dialog installers?

*************** snippet below ***************
Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>- Hamster has very sophisticated filtering/scoring, much more than
>> Thunderbird, Forte Agent and most other newsreaders.
>>
>> Only Dialog comes close.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I think I'll pass. Despite my now
> understanding its advantages, I don't want to get involved with extra
> work.

Agree with the poster who said regex filtering & onBeforeSendingMessage
script power of Dialog is famous as perhaps the best in all news readers

From my records you first install 40tude Dialog 2.0.15.1 and then you
extract the beta 38 directly on top of that original dialog.exe file

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/download.htm
http://dialog.datalist.org/index.html

Dialog 41 self-extracting archive 4d2b38.exe
Dialog 41 portable zip package dialog.41.zip

Check versions: 40TudeDialog: Help > About > Version 2.0.15.41 (Beta 38)
More at news.software.readers (look up Bernd or Vanguardlh posts)
*************** snippet above ***************

Re: [dialog] Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?

<1tq7zuvoj2sib.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1198&group=news.software.readers#1198

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 08:22:23 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 07:22 UTC

On Sun, 6th Nov 2022 05:41:25 +0200, Rudolph Rhein wrote:

> Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?

Either point them to an archive.org copy of the former Datalist Wiki
of 40tude Dialog:
http://web.archive.org/web/20180427141222/http://dialog.datalist.org/downloads/download.html

or to the Download section of the German 40tude Dialog FAQ:
https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq/download.php

To get a somewhat readable English translation of this FAQ it can be run
through Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.barghahn-online.de/4td_faq

Because of the long time without security updates, any connection of 40tude
Dialog to the Internet should be run through an SSL/TLS-Proxy like sTunnel.
Additional information on this (and several other topics) can be found in
the FAQ, as well.

HTH.
Bernd

Re: [dialog] Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?

<tktrr5$dbq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1207&group=news.software.readers#1207

From: RudolphR...@nospam.net (Rudolph Rhein)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:54:09 +0200
 by: Rudolph Rhein - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 16:54 UTC

Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote:

> Because of the long time without security updates, any connection of 40tude
> Dialog to the Internet should be run through an SSL/TLS-Proxy like sTunnel.
> Additional information on this (and several other topics) can be found in
> the FAQ, as well.

For a few years now, an encrypted tunnel such as a Stunnel SSL/TLS-Proxy
has been required for dialog connections to encrypted services such as
those on port 563 (example news.eternal-september.org:563) but what about
when nntp is only available on non-encrypted servers (example
news.dizum.net:119 or news.neodome.net:119)?

Can Stunnel be used for port 119 if that's the only available nntp port?

Re: [dialog] Where can I point others to the 40Tude Dialog installers nowadays?

<110u1jblnf02l$.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1208&group=news.software.readers#1208

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 22:35:48 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 21:35 UTC

On Mon, 14th Nov 2022 18:54:09 +0200, Rudolph Rhein wrote:

> Bernd Rose <b.rose.tmpbox@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> Because of the long time without security updates, any connection of 40tude
>> Dialog to the Internet should be run through an SSL/TLS-Proxy like sTunnel.
>> Additional information on this (and several other topics) can be found in
>> the FAQ, as well.
>
> For a few years now, an encrypted tunnel such as a Stunnel SSL/TLS-Proxy
> has been required for dialog connections to encrypted services such as
> those on port 563 (example news.eternal-september.org:563) but what about
> when nntp is only available on non-encrypted servers (example
> news.dizum.net:119 or news.neodome.net:119)?
>
> Can Stunnel be used for port 119 if that's the only available nntp port?

Connecting Dialog via sTunnel is not done to provide some kind of firewall
around it. The only purpose is, to use current encryption for the transfer
of data between the PC running Dialog and the NNTP server. And because all
Usenet data is out in the open, anyways, the protection is mostly targeted
on the account password. (And to a lesser degree to prevent any spying MITM
from profiling, which threads and messages are read.)

Therefore, unencrypted logins can still be initiated directly from Dialog.
If several servers are set up in Dialog, mixed connection methods are
possible, as well: Encrypted connections running through sTunnel, while
unencrypted connections use direct access.

AFAICT, there are no known bugs in Dialog, that can be abused through any
connection method (encrypted or not).

Bernd