Unix weanies are as bad at this as anyone. -- Larry Wall in <199702111730.JAA28598@wall.org>

computers / news.software.readers / Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

SubjectAuthor
* Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?Sqwertz
+* Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?Bernd Rose
|`- Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?Sqwertz
`* Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?VanguardLH
 `- Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?Sqwertz

1
Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

<1wmlagb1dgxra$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1199&group=news.software.readers#1199

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Subject: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 10:19:12 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:19 UTC

Sometimes I need to debug a problem and disable the custom
filters/killfile to see the whole thread. Other than nuking it
and pasting in back in later, is there another way?

-sw

Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

<1gkvecposxqmx.dlg@b.rose.tmpbox.news.arcor.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1200&group=news.software.readers#1200

From: b.rose.t...@arcor.de (Bernd Rose)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:24:59 +0100
 by: Bernd Rose - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 17:24 UTC

On Mon, 7th Nov 2022 10:19:12 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Sometimes I need to debug a problem and disable the custom
> filters/killfile to see the whole thread. Other than nuking it
> and pasting in back in later, is there another way?

Move/rename Filters.dat from the main Dialog directory while Dialog
is not running.

Bernd

Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

<1ic5b7ndjvo33.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1201&group=news.software.readers#1201

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:06:33 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:06 UTC

Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Sometimes I need to debug a problem and disable the custom
> filters/killfile to see the whole thread. Other than nuking it
> and pasting in back in later, is there another way?
>
> -sw

My Dialog rules do NOT delete any messages. That can result in later
replies starting a new thread. Instead of the delete action, I mark
them with the Ignore flag. I use a default view of Hide Ignore
Messages, so the ignore-flagged messages are hidden. I also enabled the
option to hide all subthreads of an ignore-flagged message. If I don't
want to see a message, I also don't want to see replies to it. However,
I can easily switch to the Show All Messages view to see the hidden
ignore-flagged messages. Someone will comment about something in a
hidden subthread that I need to look at, so switching views is easy.
Deleting leaves holes that can cause artifacts, and requires deleting
the entire thread and re-retrieving it to see what would've been
deleted. Hiding, on the other hand, just requires changing views.

Instead of, say:

!delete Message-ID {.*(\.googlegroups\.com>|\.JavaMail\.geo-discussion-forums@)}
!delete Header {^Path: \S+\.googlegroups\.com(!not-for-mail)?$}
!delete Header {^User-Agent: G2}

to eliminate posts from Google Groupers, I use:

!setcolor(lime;green),ignore,markread Message-ID {.*(\.googlegroups\.com>|\.JavaMail\.geo-discussion-forums@)}
!setcolor(lime;green),ignore,markread Header {^Path: \S+\.googlegroups\.com(!not-for-mail)?$}
!setcolor(lime;green),ignore,markread Header {^User-Agent: G2}

I colorize them to recognize when using the Show All Messages view.
Easier to remember those colored posts come from Google Groups. I flag
them Ignored, so they don't show up in the Hide Ignored Messages view
which is also the default view. I configure Dialog to apply the effect
of the flag on subthreads, so I don't see replies to them, either
(General Settings -> Misc -> Watch/Ignore flags works on subthreads).

The All view should already be defined (Group -> Message Views -> All).
I don't recall the Hide Ignored Messages view was defined, by default.
I created it by going to Group -> Message Views -> Manage views, and
creating "Hide Ignored Messages" by adding a new view with "Not
ignored". Actually I redefined an unassigned view (View 6) to rename it
and add the "Not ignore" filter. That means the view will show messages
that are not flagged as ignored, or, conversely, to hide the
ignore-flagged messages. To make switching views easy, I added toolbar
buttons to the header list pane (I use a 3-pane view, so that's the top
right pane). A section in the toolbar has buttons for: Hide Ignored,
Show Watched, Show Unread, and Show All. Right-click on the toolbar to
customize it, go under Group to find view 6 (the one I redefined), and
drag it to the toolbar.

If you really do want to delete unwanted messages, you could move or
rename the filters.dat file before you load Dialog as Bernd mentions.
That will prevent the filters from exercising on NEW retrieved articles,
not on the ones you already deleted.

Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

<18atsx2o5guxj$.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1204&group=news.software.readers#1204

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 20:54:52 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 02:54 UTC

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 18:24:59 +0100, Bernd Rose wrote:

> On Mon, 7th Nov 2022 10:19:12 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I need to debug a problem and disable the custom
>> filters/killfile to see the whole thread. Other than nuking it
>> and pasting in back in later, is there another way?
>
> Move/rename Filters.dat from the main Dialog directory while Dialog
> is not running.

Didn't think of that. I was thinking inside the box. Thanks.

In the past I've just copied and pasted it to a notepad.txt or an
email to myself and nuke the whole thing all within dialog.

-sw

Re: Dialog: Quick way to diasable killfile?

<lc2z1gh1up86.dlg@sqwertz.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=news.software.readers#1205

From: sqwert...@gmail.invalid (Sqwertz)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 21:02:55 -0600
 by: Sqwertz - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 03:02 UTC

On Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:06:33 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]
> creating "Hide Ignored Messages" by adding a new view with "Not
> ignored". Actually I redefined an unassigned view (View 6) to rename it
> and add the "Not ignore" filter. That means the view will show messages
> that are not flagged as ignored, or, conversely, to hide the
> ignore-flagged messages. To make switching views easy, I added toolbar
> buttons to the header list pane (I use a 3-pane view, so that's the top
> right pane). A section in the toolbar has buttons for: Hide Ignored,
> Show Watched, Show Unread, and Show All. Right-click on the toolbar to
> customize it, go under Group to find view 6 (the one I redefined), and
> drag it to the toolbar.
>
> If you really do want to delete unwanted messages, you could move or
> rename the filters.dat file before you load Dialog as Bernd mentions.
> That will prevent the filters from exercising on NEW retrieved articles,

Yeah, I should probably get away from !delete. I do use !markread
a lot usually with a -1 score and I have 4 views set up for: all,
threads with unread, unread (w/o thread), and I forget what #4
is...

I'll probably take your suggestion of !markread + !setcolor
instead of !delete. !delete has always just been my default
action for the hotkey filter action(s).

-sw