From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Redjohn woes
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 12:18:02 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 5 May 2022 18:18 UTC

I've got > 7k messages queued for Redjohn on my system.

It seems as if the messages are failing because the receiving system is
out of disk space.

% s sendmail -v -qR@redjohn.net | head -40

Running /var/spool/mqueue/245IDWjB026242 (sequence 1 of 7277)
<remailer@redjohn.net>... Connecting to mail.redjohn.net. via esmtp...
220 mail.redjohn.net ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
>>> EHLO tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net
250-mail.redjohn.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
>>> STARTTLS
454 4.7.0 TLS not available due to local problem
>>> MAIL From:<mixmaster@tnetconsulting.net> SIZE=29105
452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage
<remailer@redjohn.net>... Deferred: 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage

My understanding is that Redjohn was supposed to be viable through the
end of the month. As such I've not configured my system to reject
messages thereto. However I'm starting to see thousands of warning
(delays) and bounces (failures) for Redjohn on a daily basis. I'd like
to avoid the toil of cleaning up after something if it's not coming back.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Redjohn woes

<iTcKODsJHLrpPveNRLnGtxQQmAFrbRtU@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12067&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12067

Subject: Re: Redjohn woes
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 05 May 22 22:16:22 UTC
From: adm...@sec3.net (SEC3)
 by: SEC3 - Thu, 5 May 2022 22:16 UTC

On 2022-05-05 14:18, Grant Taylor wrote:
> I've got > 7k messages queued for Redjohn on my system.
>
> It seems as if the messages are failing because the receiving system is
> out of disk space.
>
> % s sendmail -v -qR@redjohn.net | head -40
>
> Running /var/spool/mqueue/245IDWjB026242 (sequence 1 of 7277)
> <remailer@redjohn.net>... Connecting to mail.redjohn.net. via esmtp...
> 220 mail.redjohn.net ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
> 250-mail.redjohn.net
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 10240000
> 250-ETRN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 DSN
> 454 4.7.0 TLS not available due to local problem
> 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage
> <remailer@redjohn.net>... Deferred: 452 4.3.1 Insufficient system storage
>
> My understanding is that Redjohn was supposed to be viable through the
> end of the month.

That was the plan. But now he seems to have run out of system storage.

>  As such I've not configured my system to reject
> messages thereto.  However I'm starting to see thousands of warning
> (delays) and bounces (failures) for Redjohn on a daily basis.  I'd like
> to avoid the toil of cleaning up after something if it's not coming back.

Redjohn has not given any indication that his remailer is coming back. I
think it's both safe and advisable to clean up the mess he's left you.

Also, if you run an Echolot server you are sending regular traffic to
redjohn which is making your predicament worse. I advise you to disable
rejohn remailer at your Echolot service, and restart Echolot.

../pingd disable remailer@redjohn.net

--
SEC3

YAMN Tutorials - https://sec3.net/yamnhelp

Re: Redjohn woes

<t5236j$dd8$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12069&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12069

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 21:03:52 -0600
 by: Grant Taylor - Fri, 6 May 2022 03:03 UTC

On 5/5/22 10:16 PM, SEC3 wrote:
> That was the plan. But now he seems to have run  out of system storage.

*nod*

/me mumbles something about the best laid plans....

> Redjohn has not given any indication that his remailer is coming back. I
> think it's both safe and advisable to clean up the mess he's left you.

Ya. :-/

I'm periodically running a command that will delete messages in the
status mailbox where delay / failure DSNs show up, which have "To:
remailer@redjohn.net" in them.

I'm reluctant to arbitrarily cut something off just because it appears
as if someone else has failed or done something before they said they would.

> Also, if you run an Echolot server you are sending regular traffic to
> redjohn which is making your predicament worse. I advise you to disable
> rejohn remailer at your Echolot service, and restart Echolot.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: Redjohn woes

<t55m80$36pmn$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12076&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12076

From: freefre...@club-internet.fr (freefrench@club-internet.fr)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 06:47:12 -0500
logging-data="3368663"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: freefrench@club-inte - Sat, 7 May 2022 11:47 UTC

> On 5/5/22 10:16 PM, SEC3 wrote:
>
>> That was the plan. But now he seems to have run out of system storage.
>
> *nod*
>
> /me mumbles something about the best laid plans....
>

>> Redjohn has not given any indication that his remailer is coming back. I think it's both safe and advisable to clean up the mess he's left you.
>
> Ya.
>
> I'm periodically running a command that will delete messages in the status mailbox where delay / failure DSNs show up, which have "To: remailer@redjohn.net" in them.
>
> I'm reluctant to arbitrarily cut something off just because it appears as if someone else has failed or done something before they said they would.
>

>> Also, if you run an Echolot server you are sending regular traffic to redjohn which is making your predicament worse. I advise you to disable rejohn remailer at your Echolot service, and restart Echolot.

Someone is probably still generating loads of dummy messages to Redjohn.