Respect is a rational process -- McCoy, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

SubjectAuthor
* How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?paul
+* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerBob Campbell
|+* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsYour Name
||`* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
|| `- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
|+* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
||+* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
|||`* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
||| +- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
||| +* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerDavid Brooks
||| `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
|||  `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
|||   +- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
|||   `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
|||    `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
|||     +* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
|||     |`* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
|||     | +- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsTr!pe
|||     | `- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
|||     `- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
||`* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
|| `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
||  `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
||   `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemsnospam
||    `* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
||     `- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
|`* Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systemspaul
| `- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerAlan Baker
`- Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumerDavid Brooks

Pages:12
Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<040520211532099159%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12041&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12041

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 15:32:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 4 May 2021 19:32 UTC

In article <s6s54i$14uc$1@gioia.aioe.org>, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> You play silly games because you HATE Android is updated longer than iOS.

it isn't.

ios is updated for 2-3 times as long as android.

yesterday, apple released an update for the iphone 5s, which was
released nearly 8 years ago.

the nexus 5 was released about the same time as the iphone 5s (a month
later), but it hasn't received updates in several years.

once again, you are wrong.

> > android is typically supported for 2-3 years, depending on device.
>
> Not only are the core Android OS framework components updated forever

no they're not.

> (there is no plan for EOL)

yes there is.

google says 3 years. samsung says 4 years.

many devices are 1-2 years.

> but most (if not all) are open sourced.

nope on that too.

a relatively small amount of android is open source.

> You HATE iOS support drops sooner than do core Android OS components.

it doesn't.

> Android forever >> iOS EOL

nothing is forever.

other than your ignorant trolling, that is.

> Methinks you only know about Android what Apple tells you on their web site.

youthinks wrong.

apple doesn't say anything about android on their web site.

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6sa02$1es4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12043&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12043

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 22:15:00 +0200
 by: paul - Tue, 4 May 2021 20:15 UTC

nospam wrote on 04.05.2021 22:32

>> You play silly games because you HATE Android is updated longer than iOS.
> it isn't.

You only know about Android what Apple tells you on the Apple web site.
> ios is updated for 2-3 times as long as android.

And yet the core OS components of Android are not only updated forever
but they're also made open source as a matter of policy by Google.
*Android forever >> iOS EOL*

> yesterday, apple released an update for the iphone 5s, which was
> released nearly 8 years ago.

Core Apple apps (like Safari) are EOL'd far sooner than Google's core apps.
*Android Chrome support is forever >> iOS Safari support EOL*

> the nexus 5 was released about the same time as the iphone 5s (a month
> later), but it hasn't received updates in several years.

I am getting so many monthly updates on my Android phone it's tiresome.
> once again, you are wrong.

Once again the only thing you know about Android is what Apple tells you.

>>> android is typically supported for 2-3 years, depending on device.
>>
>> Not only are the core Android OS framework components updated forever
>
> no they're not.

Not only are the core Android OS Framework components updated with no EOL
but they're also open sourced by Google as a matter of policy.

You HATE iOS has no long term support like that and never will have it.

>> (there is no plan for EOL)
> yes there is.

Not only is there no plan for EOL but _all_ the components are open sourced!
> google says 3 years. samsung says 4 years.
>
> many devices are 1-2 years.

You HATE that Google Android core OS framework components are updated more
frequently and for far longer than iOS core OS framework components.

>> but most (if not all) are open sourced.
> nope on that too.
> a relatively small amount of android is open source.

Which of the project mainstream core OS components are _NOT_ open source?
You don't know the answer because you only know what Apple tells you.

>> You HATE iOS support drops sooner than do core Android OS components.
> it doesn't.

When is the last iOS Safari update versus the last Android Chrome update?
>> Android forever >> iOS EOL
> nothing is forever.

You HATE that there is no EOL planned for the core Android OS components!
Call it whatever you want but not only do they NOT plan on EOL for the core
Android OS components but they're also open sourced as a matter of policy.

You HATE that Android support like that goes on forever & iOS just stops.

> apple doesn't say anything about android on their web site.

You make me laugh because _that's_ why you're completely Android ignorant.

You only know what Apple tells you.

You know nothing that isn't on the Apple web site.

While _some_ parts of iOS are updated longer than some parts of Android, the
core OS components and the key apps on Android are updated far longer than
anything on iOS ever was and ever will be.

You hate Android core OS support time far exceeds that of iOS core support.

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<1p8ocfc.1f37h4wecouvuN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12045&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12045

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Tr!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 21:45:43 +0100
References: <s6nl3t$1ev2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <JJmdnTlk35GL4RL9nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@supernews.com> <030520210539476910%nospam@nospam.invalid> <030520212052403367%nospam@nospam.invalid> <s6qhc6$4n8$1@gioia.aioe.org> <040520210634069049%nospam@nospam.invalid> <s6rki4$kfi$1@gioia.aioe.org> <040520211209260037%nospam@nospam.invalid> <s6s54i$14uc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <040520211532099159%nospam@nospam.invalid> <s6sa02$1es4$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Tr!pe - Tue, 4 May 2021 20:45 UTC

paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> You HATE

Hi, Paul.

--
Paulie wanna cracker!

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6sf1i$gvp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12047&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12047

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer
operating systems?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 14:41:06 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 4 May 2021 21:41 UTC

On 2021-05-04 1:15 p.m., paul wrote:
> nospam wrote on 04.05.2021 22:32
>
>>> You play silly games because you HATE Android is updated longer than iOS.
>> it isn't.
>
> You only know about Android what Apple tells you on the Apple web site.
>
>> ios is updated for 2-3 times as long as android.
>
> And yet the core OS components of Android are not only updated forever
> but they're also made open source as a matter of policy by Google.
> *Android forever >> iOS EOL*

Which doesn't matter if there is no mechanism to get them onto your
older Android phone...

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6sihc$7qb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12048&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12048

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 15:40:44 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 4 May 2021 22:40 UTC

On 2021-05-04 11:52 a.m., paul wrote:
> nospam wrote on 04.05.2021 18:09
>
>> nope. i get my info from *many* web sites, including google and various
>> android specific ones.
>
> If that were true you wouldn't be so ignorant of how Android is updated.

Something you haven't actually explained.

You've made claims about how long it's updated (unsupported by any
sources as always)..

....but no explanations of how it actually happens.

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<CbkkI.96667$wd1.42455@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12049&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12049

operating systems?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 23:49:05 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 4 May 2021 22:49 UTC

On 04/05/2021 16:24, paul wrote:
> [...]
> are updated is mind boggling in terms of how EASY it must be for Apple
> to update macOS.
>
> Even something as simple as Android is mind bogglingly more complicated
> than what iOS updates are given Apple controls almost every level of iOS.
>
> It is likely muuuuuuuuch simpler for the macOS updates too (for the same
> reason that Apple controls everything).
>
> And yet nobody seems to know the answer as far as I have seen so far.
>
> As an example of the type of intelligent answers I'd expect from a macOS
> newsgroup, here's the answer as to how Android is updated (as the example).
>
> Android is broken down into these components:
> (a) The chips (made by the chip makers & assembled by the manufacturers)
> (b) Low level firmware for those chips (maintained by the chip makers)
> (c) The Vendor Interface (VI insulates everything below from that above)
> (d) The Android CoreOS framework (Project Mainline's core Android modules)
> (e) The Android Developer API (AndroidStudio codes for compatibility)
> (f) The Compatibility Test Suite (CTS works across hardware ecosystems)
> (g) Key Google & manufacturer apps (eg Google Pay & Samsung Pay)
> (h) Android apps
>
> If we take each of those levels we find they are updated independently:
> (a) The manufacturer puts the design together & supports that hardware
> https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/partitions/product-interfaces
> (b) The low level firmware is becoming more & more updated via Google Play
> https://www.androidauthority.com/gpu-driver-updates-phones-1096423/
> (c) The vendor interface is updated via Project Treble (eg with Qualcomm)
> https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/
> (d) The core Android framework is updated via Google Play (Project Mainline)
> https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/
> (e) The Android API is updated independently by Google (Android Studio)
> https://developer.android.com/reference
> (f) All apps must pass the compatibility test suite to be on Google Play
> https://source.android.com/compatibility/cts
> (g) The key OEM apps are usually updated on Google Play (or Samsung Play)
> https://developer.android.com/work/dpc/system-updates
> (h) Android apps are updated asynchronously by each developer
>
> As you can see almost everything on Android at the low level is updated
> constantly (usually patches are monthly) & support often lasts 4 years
> https://9to5google.com/2020/12/16/android-updates-4-years/
>
> Yet almost everything on Android at the high level is updated many times
> a month and there is no planned EOL date (ie support is forever or for the
> life of the phone, whichever comes first) and these higher level updates
> of the core Android OS framework are all available on the Google Play Store.
>
> By way of stark contrast the update for macOS must be vastly simpler than
> either that of Android or of Linux and yet nobody here can explain it yet.

I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541

HTH

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6sujk$hi6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12052&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12052

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 04:06:48 +0200
 by: paul - Wed, 5 May 2021 02:06 UTC

David Brooks wrote on 05.05.2021 00:49

> I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541

The problem is the only thing you Apple users know is only what Apple tells
you so you're completely clueless of how modern operating systems update.

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6supq$j6p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12053&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12053

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (paul)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 04:10:06 +0200
 by: paul - Wed, 5 May 2021 02:10 UTC

nospam wrote on 04.05.2021 21:32

> where 'life of the device' is typically 3 years.

Given you are wholly clueless that Apple ends support for most of iOS well
before Google does for most of Android let's take just a single component.

When does iOS Safari support end?
When does Android Chrome support end?

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6svf0$ek3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12054&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12054

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 19:21:20 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 5 May 2021 02:21 UTC

On 2021-05-04 7:06 p.m., paul wrote:
> David Brooks wrote on 05.05.2021 00:49
>
>> I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541
>
> The problem is the only thing you Apple users know is only what Apple tells
> you so you're completely clueless of how modern operating systems update.

And how is it you know anything about how Android is updated...

....other than by what Google tells you?

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6sviu$ek3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12055&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12055

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
operating systems?
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 19:23:26 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 5 May 2021 02:23 UTC

On 2021-05-04 7:10 p.m., paul wrote:
> nospam wrote on 04.05.2021 21:32
>
>> where 'life of the device' is typically 3 years.
>
> Given you are wholly clueless that Apple ends support for most of iOS well
> before Google does for most of Android let's take just a single component.
>
> When does iOS Safari support end?

We don't know yet.

It hasn't ended.

> When does Android Chrome support end?

'Template:Google Chrome release compatibility

Android 5.0 and later 90 2014-'

In case you're ignorant of it...

(And of course you are)

....Android was first released in 2008.

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<p3rkI.262838$2A5.43060@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12058&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12058

operating systems?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 07:38:13 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 5 May 2021 06:38 UTC

On 05/05/2021 03:06, paul wrote:
> David Brooks wrote on 05.05.2021 00:49
>
>> I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541
>
> The problem is the only thing you Apple users know is only what Apple tells
> you so you're completely clueless of how modern operating systems update.

That is not so!

Have you read here? https://objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x64.html

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<iff6shF8fdnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12060&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12060

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 5 May 2021 09:29:53 GMT
 by: TimS - Wed, 5 May 2021 09:29 UTC

On 05 May 2021 at 03:06:48 BST, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> David Brooks wrote on 05.05.2021 00:49
>
>> I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541
>
> The problem is the only thing you Apple users know is only what Apple tells
> you so you're completely clueless of how modern operating systems update.

Not sure I give a monkey's, frankly. I tell it to do the update, and it does
so. And afterwards, the same apps that were running before are restarted.

Anything else I need to know? No, I didn't think so.

--
Tim

Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common consumer operating systems?

<s6uhei$hac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12066&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12066

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: How does macOS update compare to the other common
consumer operating systems?
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 16:34:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ONh8R+M+bGBxrEhBAdZli5L4fJY=
 by: Andy Hewitt - Wed, 5 May 2021 16:34 UTC

TimS <timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:
> On 05 May 2021 at 03:06:48 BST, paul <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> David Brooks wrote on 05.05.2021 00:49
>>
>>> I can point you here:- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201541
>>
>> The problem is the only thing you Apple users know is only what Apple tells
>> you so you're completely clueless of how modern operating systems update.
>
> Not sure I give a monkey's, frankly. I tell it to do the update, and it does
> so. And afterwards, the same apps that were running before are restarted.
>
> Anything else I need to know? No, I didn't think so.

Yeah, agree there, I read this thread with the expectation that it would go
to where it did end up going, so didn’t bother contributing before.

However, to put it into more polite terms, personally, I don’t really
bother worrying about all that now.

It updates when it needs to, apps update when they need too.

As far as I’m aware, the OS is updated by Apple, and is supplied by Apple.
Apps are updated by the respective developers, and curated by Apple through
the Store (for iOS) or by signing certificates for authorisation to install
on a MacOS system (which can be over-ridden if desired).

I know my iMac has come to end of life as far as OS updates go, it’s over
seven years old, and can’t be upgraded to Big Sur, but is still getting
security updates. Everything on it still works as needed.

How frequent are updates? They vary, and I don’t really care as long as
stuff is being fixed.

As for comparisons to other platforms, I have no interest in them, I don’t
use those for other reasons, and really don’t care.

--
Andy H