From: inf...@cornica.org (Sebastian from Cornica)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:45:54 +0200
 by: Sebastian from Corn - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:45 UTC

Wikipedia Reader for System 6 and up has been released. It allows you to
retrieve Wikipedia articles via their API and read them on your vintage
Macintosh.

Or in the words of the author:

> Due to Wikipedia no longer serving its API over plaintext HTTP, a plaintext-to-TLS proxy is required to forward requests. Currently this defaults to using a free Cloudflare worker that I've setup, but the settings dialog in the application allows changing this to a private proxy if so desired (or perhaps some actual host on wikipedia.org if they ever support plaintext again).

> No translation or conversion is done server-side. Wikipedia Reader accesses the raw Wikitext markup of an article through the Wikipedia API, parses the markup, converts UTF-8 to MacRoman, and displays the text. Basic formatting such as bold, italic, underline, and header sizes are supported, and clicking on a hyperlink to another article will jump to that article.

Info & download: http://jcs.org/2023/10/17/wikipedia

Disclaimer: I'm not the author, nor in any way affiliated. Just passing
on the info to my fellow vintage Mac enthusiasts.

Re: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released

<8634xvswke.fsf@building-m.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=121&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#121

From: joh...@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net (John)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Subject: Re: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:18:57 +0000
 by: John - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:18 UTC

Sebastian from Cornica <info@cornica.org> writes:

> Wikipedia Reader for System 6 and up has been released. It allows you to
> retrieve Wikipedia articles via their API and read them on your vintage
> Macintosh.
>
> Or in the words of the author:
>
>> Due to Wikipedia no longer serving its API over plaintext HTTP, a
>> plaintext-to-TLS proxy is required to forward requests. Currently
>> this defaults to using a free Cloudflare worker that I've setup, but
>> the settings dialog in the application allows changing this to a
>> private proxy if so desired (or perhaps some actual host on
>> wikipedia.org if they ever support plaintext again).
>
>> No translation or conversion is done server-side. Wikipedia Reader
>> accesses the raw Wikitext markup of an article through the Wikipedia
>> API, parses the markup, converts UTF-8 to MacRoman, and displays the
>> text. Basic formatting such as bold, italic, underline, and header
>> sizes are supported, and clicking on a hyperlink to another article
>> will jump to that article.
>
> Info & download: http://jcs.org/2023/10/17/wikipedia
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not the author, nor in any way affiliated. Just passing
> on the info to my fellow vintage Mac enthusiasts.

This is lovely! The increasing prevalence of publicly-accessible HTTP
APIs should make it relatively easy to bang together custom clients like
this for a variety of services. All you need is an HTTP client and a
JSON library. For instance, I've played with a Common Lisp graphical
client for Internet Archive items; their API isn't pretty, but it's
usable!

Josh Stein is really doing some fascinating stuff with old Macs.

john

Re: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released

<XnsB0B071FD41D04mikedee@emteedee.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=122&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#122

From: mike...@emteedee.invalid (Mike Dee)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:12:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Dee - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 00:12 UTC

Sebastian from Cornica wrote:
> Wikipedia Reader for System 6 and up has been released. It allows
> you to retrieve Wikipedia articles
[...]
> Info & download: http://jcs.org/2023/10/17/wikipedia
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not the author, nor in any way affiliated. Just
> passing on the info to my fellow vintage Mac enthusiasts.

Thanks.

Though; Please do check your MT-NW wordwrap settings ;-)

--
dee

Re: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released

<65484B81.7C9B@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=124&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#124

From: twertles...@gmail.com (snes1423)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 21:12:18 -0500
 by: snes1423 - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 02:12 UTC

is there not a way to configure it with other wikis Wikipedia is getting
to politically biased these days... plus i prefer to have fan wikis like
the Apple Wiki

-snes1423

Re: Wikipedia reader v1.0 released

<kqtrkdFrt85U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=133&group=comp.sys.mac.vintage#133

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.vintage
Date: 7 Nov 2023 04:09:49 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 04:09 UTC

On 2023-11-06, snes1423 <twertlesonline@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wikipedia is getting to politically biased these daysi

Only to gullible idiots who fall for right wing propaganda.

JR