Only a fool fights in a burning house. -- Kank the Klingon, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown

computers / alt.privacy.anon-server / Facebook "secret" messenger

SubjectAuthor
* Facebook "secret" messengersumbuddy
+- Re: Facebook "secret" messengerrmd
`* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerAnonymous Remailer
 +* Re: Facebook "secret" messengermerle
 |`- Re: Facebook "secret" messengerNomen Nescio
 `* Re: Facebook "secret" messengernomad
  +* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerAnonymous
  |`* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerNomen Nescio
  | `* Re: Facebook "secret" messengeranon
  |  `- Re: Facebook "secret" messengerAnonymous
  `* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerYamn Remailer
   +* Re: Facebook "secret" messengernomad
   |+- Re: Facebook "secret" messengerNomen Nescio
   |`* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerMiner
   | `* Re: Facebook "secret" messengerNomen Nescio
   |  `- Re: Facebook "secret" messengerMiner
   `- Re: Facebook "secret" messengernomad

1
Facebook "secret" messenger

<XnsAE9785F6FB4BBsumbuddy1282sSSOMPLA@46.165.242.91>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12101&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12101

From: sumbu...@yahoo.com (sumbuddy)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Facebook "secret" messenger
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 05:05:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: sumbuddy - Sat, 14 May 2022 05:05 UTC

Here is what facebook/google say about facebook "secret" messenger
concerning private chat on messenger:

"Secret conversations are protected with end-to-end encryption, meaning
that no one outside the chat can read what's inside. It's similar to
Vanish Mode, another Messenger feature that prioritizes secret and
secure conversations"

Knowing how DISHONEST Facebook is, can a user rely that the messages on
messenger using this so-called "secret" chat are really private and not
spied upon by FB or others? I see some programs being advertised to spy
on messenger but have not tried any of them. I don't want my messenger
chat spied on by the minions of FB.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t5o47n$4iq9$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12103&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12103

From: rem...@not-for-mail.invalid (rmd)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Re: Facebook "secret" messenger
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 06:36:24 -0500
logging-data="150345"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: rmd - Sat, 14 May 2022 11:36 UTC

I would trust Facebook as far as I can spit, and I don't spit.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<20220514.191508.f64d72d0@mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12104&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12104

From: remai...@domain.invalid (Anonymous Remailer)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous Remailer - Sat, 14 May 2022 18:15 UTC

On 5/13/2022 10:05 PM, sumbuddy wrote:

> Here is what facebook/google say about facebook "secret" messenger
> concerning private chat on messenger:
>
> "Secret conversations are protected with end-to-end encryption, meaning
> that no one outside the chat can read what's inside. It's similar to
> Vanish Mode, another Messenger feature that prioritizes secret and
> secure conversations"
>
> Knowing how DISHONEST Facebook is, can a user rely that the messages on
> messenger using this so-called "secret" chat are really private and not
> spied upon by FB or others? I see some programs being advertised to spy
> on messenger but have not tried any of them. I don't want my messenger
> chat spied on by the minions of FB.

We never trust FB. Never.

Your messages may well be encrypted, however: FB definitely has access
to your social graph/metadata. So they know whom you are talking to.
Avoid that.

There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of
them. Be safe out there.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<ac308h9oknd71eq2ftlos1icmma90oneq0@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12105&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12105

From: mer...@frisco.org
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 15:15:13 -0500
 by: mer...@frisco.org - Sat, 14 May 2022 20:15 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100, Anonymous Remailer
<remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

>On 5/13/2022 10:05 PM, sumbuddy wrote:
>
>> Here is what facebook/google say about facebook "secret" messenger
>> concerning private chat on messenger:
>>
>> "Secret conversations are protected with end-to-end encryption, meaning
>> that no one outside the chat can read what's inside. It's similar to
>> Vanish Mode, another Messenger feature that prioritizes secret and
>> secure conversations"
>>
>> Knowing how DISHONEST Facebook is, can a user rely that the messages on
>> messenger using this so-called "secret" chat are really private and not
>> spied upon by FB or others? I see some programs being advertised to spy
>> on messenger but have not tried any of them. I don't want my messenger
>> chat spied on by the minions of FB.
>

>We never trust FB. Never.
>
>Your messages may well be encrypted, however: FB definitely has access
>to your social graph/metadata. So they know whom you are talking to.
>Avoid that.
>
>There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of
>them. Be safe out there.

The only time encryption is secure is when you yourself encrypt the
message and not some site or other.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<096c119515868d0b05e7fe100364746b@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12106&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12106

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 23:28:00 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 14 May 2022 21:28 UTC

On 5/14/2022 1:15 PM, merle@frisco.org wrote:

> The only time encryption is secure is when you yourself encrypt the
> message and not some site or other.

Thanks for your opinion, but inaccurate.

Your message is secure if it is encrypted on device.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t62fll$tin$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12114&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12114

From: 3t1ru...@anonaddy.me (nomad)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:52:53 -0000
 by: nomad - Wed, 18 May 2022 09:52 UTC

On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100
Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

> There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of
> them. Be safe out there.

Out of the private messagers I've tried, the one I liked best was Delta Chat, which uses the existing email network. Jami was bloated and unreliable. Element forced me to provide an email address and then hit me with a Google CAPTCHA to sign up to the Matrix.org server—not impressive for a messager whose reputation is built on the promise of privacy. XMPP isn't as safe as many in the privacy community believe it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20211215132539/https://infosec-handbook.eu/articles/xmpp-aitm/

I still think that for group discussions, Usenet, IRC, and mailing lists beat all of this newfangled crap any day.

Nomad
--
gemini://nomad.flounder.online/

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<b2c52a2863d5919a2654048371a23757@remailer.paranoici.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12116&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12116

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:41:54 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 18 May 2022 17:41 UTC

On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:52:53 -0000, nomad <3t1rub5v@anonaddy.me> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100
> Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of=20
> > them. Be safe out there.

> I still think that for group discussions, Usenet, IRC, and mailing lists be=
> at all of this newfangled crap any day.

I'm afraid you're right.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<8938e0faae97a0a10c7673ecf7e41599@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12118&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12118

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 22:49:39 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Wed, 18 May 2022 20:49 UTC

On 5/18/2022 10:41 AM, Anonymous wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:52:53 -0000, nomad <3t1rub5v@anonaddy.me> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100
>> Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of=20
>>> them. Be safe out there.
>
>> I still think that for group discussions, Usenet, IRC, and mailing lists be=
>> at all of this newfangled crap any day.
>
> I'm afraid you're right.

I'm afraid that's wrong.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t65b12$rj3q$1@news.mixmin.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12120&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12120

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 06:52:02 -0500
logging-data="904314"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@mixmin.net"
 by: anon - Thu, 19 May 2022 11:52 UTC

> On 5/18/2022 10:41 AM, Anonymous wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 18 May 2022 09:52:53 -0000, nomad <3t1rub5v@anonaddy.me> wrote:

>>> I still think that for group discussions, Usenet, IRC, and mailing lists be=
>>> at all of this newfangled crap any day.
>>
>> I'm afraid you're right.
>>

> I'm afraid that's wrong.

I'm not afraid that is right.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<20220520.005731.a4cf3693@mix2.remailer.xyz>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12122&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12122

Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
From: nore...@mix2.remailer.xyz (Yamn Remailer)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Yamn Remailer - Thu, 19 May 2022 22:57 UTC

On 5/18/2022 2:52 AM, nomad wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2022 19:15:08 +0100
> Anonymous Remailer <remailer@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> There are lots of capable messengers out there. Facebook is not one of
>> them. Be safe out there.
>
> Out of the private messagers I've tried, the one I liked best was Delta Chat, which uses the existing email network. Jami was bloated and unreliable. Element forced me to provide an email address and then hit me with a Google CAPTCHA to sign up to the Matrix.org server—not impressive for a messager whose reputation is built on the promise of privacy. XMPP isn't as safe as many in the privacy community believe it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20211215132539/https://infosec-handbook.eu/articles/xmpp-aitm/
>
> I still think that for group discussions, Usenet, IRC, and mailing lists beat all of this newfangled crap any day.
>
> Nomad

Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.

There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone numbers.

Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed via Tor.
This is Android only and currently, not ios.

https://briarproject.org/

https://briarproject.org/how-it-works/

https://briarproject.org/download-briar/

Briar Features:

Metadata surveillance. Briar uses the Tor network to prevent
eavesdroppers from learning which users are talking to each other.

Each user’s contact list is encrypted and stored on her own device.
Content surveillance. All communication between devices is encrypted
end-to-end, protecting the content from eavesdropping or tampering.

Content filtering. Briar’s end-to-end encryption prevents keyword
filtering, and because of its decentralized design there are no servers
to block.

Takedown orders. Every user who subscribes to a forum keeps a copy of
its content, so there’s no single point where a post can be deleted.

Denial of service attacks. Briar’s forums have no central server to
attack, and every subscriber has access to the content even if they’re
offline.

Internet blackouts. Briar can operate over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to keep
information flowing during blackouts.
Briar is designed to resist surveillance and censorship by an adversary.

Briar is designed to resist surveillance and censorship by an adversary
with the following capabilities:

All long-range communication channels (internet, phone network, etc) are
comprehensively monitored by the adversary.

The adversary can block, delay, replay and modify traffic on long-range
communication channels.

The adversary has a limited ability to monitor short-range communication
channels (Bluetooth, WiFi, etc).

The adversary has a limited ability to block, delay, replay and modify
traffic on short-range communication channels.

The adversary can deploy an unlimited number of devices running Briar.

There are some users who can keep their devices secure - those who can’t
are considered, for the purposes of the threat model, to be controlled
by the adversary.

The adversary has a limited ability to persuade users to trust the
adversary’s agents - thus the number of social connections between the
adversary’s agents and the rest of the network is limited.

The adversary can’t break standard cryptographic primitives.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<4e705b85e1808de62b726bc9dfbdc0ca@remailer.paranoici.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12123&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12123

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 00:56:51 +0000 (UTC)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 20 May 2022 00:56 UTC

On 5/19/2022 4:52 AM, anon wrote:

>>> I'm afraid you're right.
>>>

>> I'm afraid that's wrong.
>
> I'm not afraid that is right.

"And you better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'......

Robert Zimmerman aka Bob Dylan

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t6qocr$e4p$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12132&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12132

From: 3t1ru...@anonaddy.me (nomad)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 14:48:59 -0000
 by: nomad - Fri, 27 May 2022 14:48 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
Yamn Remailer <noreply@mix2.remailer.xyz> wrote:

> Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.
>
> There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone numbers.
>
> Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed via Tor.
> This is Android only and currently, not ios.
>

> https://briarproject.org/

Sounds good, but not for me since I don't own a cell phone.

Another messenger I heard about that uses Tor is Ricochet, but ironically, I wasn't allowed to access its website through either Tor or a VPN so I gave up.

Nomad
--
gemini://nomad.flounder.online/

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<9be82880efc2631996680b79e544c28d@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12133&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12133

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 19:25:15 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 27 May 2022 17:25 UTC

On 5/27/2022 7:48 AM, nomad wrote:

> On Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
> Yamn Remailer <noreply@mix2.remailer.xyz> wrote:
>
>> Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.
>>
>> There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone numbers.
>>
>> Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed via Tor.
>> This is Android only and currently, not ios.
>>

>> https://briarproject.org/
>
> Sounds good, but not for me since I don't own a cell phone.
>
> Another messenger I heard about that uses Tor is Ricochet, but ironically, I wasn't allowed to access its website through either Tor or a VPN so I gave up.

Ricochet used to be one of the old standbys.

But Ricochet has not been updated or maintained in nearly 5 years so it
is considered unwise to use it by some.

You might want to take a look at Ricochet Refresh:

<https://www.ricochetrefresh.net/>

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t6r498$td2$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12134&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12134

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 18:11:53 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="30114"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Fri, 27 May 2022 18:11 UTC

nomad wrote:

> On Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
> Yamn Remailer <noreply@mix2.remailer.xyz> wrote:
>
> > Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.
> >
> > There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone
> > numbers.
> >
> > Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed
> > via Tor. This is Android only and currently, not ios.
>
> Sounds good, but not for me since I don't own a cell phone.
>
> Another messenger I heard about that uses Tor is Ricochet, but
> ironically, I wasn't allowed to access its website through
> either Tor or a VPN so I gave up.

Tox does not require registration or email or phone or central
server.

https://tox.chat/about.html

--
Miner

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<5d8de75c5c6706c7f94bc64293b364b5@dizum.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12135&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12135

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 23:32:04 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 27 May 2022 21:32 UTC

On 5/27/2022 11:11 AM, Miner wrote:

> nomad wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
>> Yamn Remailer <noreply@mix2.remailer.xyz> wrote:
>>
>>> Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.
>>>
>>> There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone
>>> numbers.
>>>
>>> Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed
>>> via Tor. This is Android only and currently, not ios.
>>
>> Sounds good, but not for me since I don't own a cell phone.
>>
>> Another messenger I heard about that uses Tor is Ricochet, but
>> ironically, I wasn't allowed to access its website through
>> either Tor or a VPN so I gave up.
>
> Tox does not require registration or email or phone or central
> server.
>
> https://tox.chat/about.html

Another excellent suggestion.

The only issue with Tox is that by design it will leak the IP.
Folks do use the Tor proxy to get around this.

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t6s5u4$7s4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12136&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12136

From: 3t1ru...@anonaddy.me (nomad)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 03:46:12 -0000
 by: nomad - Sat, 28 May 2022 03:46 UTC

On Fri, 20 May 2022 00:57:31 +0200
Yamn Remailer <noreply@mix2.remailer.xyz> wrote:

> Take a serious look at Briar Messaging.
>
> There is no registration, no email addresses, no phone numbers.
>
> Briar has no central server structure. Messages are routed via Tor.
> This is Android only and currently, not ios.

It turns out Briar has a desktop app for Linux, with Windows and MacOS ones planned for the future. It has far fewer features than the Android one, however.

https://briarproject.org/download-briar-desktop/

Nomad
--
gemini://nomad.flounder.online/

Re: Facebook "secret" messenger

<t6snfn$msq$1@txtcon.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12139&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12139

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Miner)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 08:45:44 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="23450"; mail-complaints-to="txtcon@i2pmail.org"
 by: Miner - Sat, 28 May 2022 08:45 UTC

Nomen Nescio wrote:

> On 5/27/2022 11:11 AM, Miner wrote:
>
> > nomad wrote:

> > > Sounds good, but not for me since I don't own a cell phone.
> > >
> > > Another messenger I heard about that uses Tor is Ricochet, but
> > > ironically, I wasn't allowed to access its website through
> > > either Tor or a VPN so I gave up.
> >
> > Tox does not require registration or email or phone or central
> > server.
> >
> > https://tox.chat/about.html
>

> Another excellent suggestion.
>
> The only issue with Tox is that by design it will leak the IP.
> Folks do use the Tor proxy to get around this.

It is easy to prevent leak. Tox client are able to connect over
HTTP and SOCKS proxy.

--
Miner