From: use...@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: grub question
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:47:01 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 03:47 UTC

My PC was booting windows/ubuntu but I have temporarily deleted the
Ubuntu and SWAP partitions. After I extend my Windows partition by about
95 GiB, I will install a new version of Ubuntu in the remaining space.
Before deleting the partitions, I had a boot menu to select Win or Ubu
or EFI. Now the boot menu no longer displays - I think it needs info
from the deleted Ubu partition. Instead of the boot menu, a Grub prompt
is displayed. I discovered that if I type EXIT at the prompt the PC
boots Windows.

So far so good.

I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the HELP
command which will cause the the command names one page at a time - or
even one line at a time.

Ideally I would like something like this: HELP > help.txt

Anything you can tell me to make Grub more user-friendly will be helpful.

TIA. Bill S.

Re: grub question

<sm0h6mtae2p.fsf@lakka.kapsi.fi>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12107&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12107

From: anssi.sa...@usenet.mail.kapsi.fi (Anssi Saari)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: grub question
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 09:54:54 +0300
sha1:wemrqMeT3ldT83syEdN/O8L1vpI=
 by: Anssi Saari - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:54 UTC

bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> writes:

> I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
> flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the
> HELP command which will cause the the command names one page at a time
> - or even one line at a time.

Grub has a pager, unfortunately it's not enabled by default. You can
turn it on via set pager=1.

Re: grub question

<ugdf2s$3o6lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12108&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12108

From: use...@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:13:11 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:13 UTC

On 10/13/2023 10:48 PM, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:47:01 -0400, bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>
>> My PC was booting windows/ubuntu but I have temporarily deleted the
>> Ubuntu and SWAP partitions. After I extend my Windows partition by about
>> 95 GiB, I will install a new version of Ubuntu in the remaining space.
>> Before deleting the partitions, I had a boot menu to select Win or Ubu
>> or EFI. Now the boot menu no longer displays - I think it needs info
>> from the deleted Ubu partition. Instead of the boot menu, a Grub prompt
>> is displayed. I discovered that if I type EXIT at the prompt the PC
>> boots Windows.
>>
>> So far so good.
>>
>> I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
>> flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the HELP
>> command which will cause the the command names one page at a time - or
>> even one line at a time.
>>
>> Ideally I would like something like this:  HELP > help.txt
>>
>> Anything you can tell me to make Grub more user-friendly will be helpful.
>
> Only the stage 1 part of grub is still available. Stage 2, which
> displays the
> boot menu would have been in the ubuntu partition in /boot.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html has info on grub,
> including
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Command_002dline-interface
> which is what stage 1 supports.
>
> When you reinstall linux, it will reinstall all of grub.
>
> I haven't used ubuntu. I expect it's installer has something like
> gparted that
> can be used to extend the windows partition and then create the
> partitions to
> be used for ubuntu. Then install ubuntu including setting up the grub
> boot loader.
>
> If you don't want to reinstall linux right now, then the windows boot
> loader
> should be reinstalled.
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/429610/uninstall-grub-and-use-windows-bootloader
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

thanks for the info.

Re: grub question

<ugdf5b$3o6lb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12109&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12109

From: use...@writer.com (bilsch01)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:14:29 -0700
 by: bilsch01 - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:14 UTC

On 10/13/2023 11:54 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
> bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> writes:
>
>> I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
>> flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the
>> HELP command which will cause the the command names one page at a time
>> - or even one line at a time.
>
> Grub has a pager, unfortunately it's not enabled by default. You can
> turn it on via set pager=1.

thanks. That was useful.

Re: grub question

<kovfsmFm0tmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12113&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12113

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:29:10 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:29 UTC

On 2023-10-14 07:48, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 23:47:01 -0400, bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
>
>> My PC was booting windows/ubuntu but I have temporarily deleted the
>> Ubuntu and SWAP partitions. After I extend my Windows partition by about
>> 95 GiB, I will install a new version of Ubuntu in the remaining space.
>> Before deleting the partitions, I had a boot menu to select Win or Ubu
>> or EFI. Now the boot menu no longer displays - I think it needs info
>> from the deleted Ubu partition. Instead of the boot menu, a Grub prompt
>> is displayed. I discovered that if I type EXIT at the prompt the PC
>> boots Windows.
>>
>> So far so good.
>>
>> I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
>> flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the HELP
>> command which will cause the the command names one page at a time - or
>> even one line at a time.
>>
>> Ideally I would like something like this:  HELP > help.txt
>>
>> Anything you can tell me to make Grub more user-friendly will be helpful.
>
> Only the stage 1 part of grub is still available. Stage 2, which
> displays the
> boot menu would have been in the ubuntu partition in /boot.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html has info on grub,
> including
> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#Command_002dline-interface
> which is what stage 1 supports.
>
> When you reinstall linux, it will reinstall all of grub.
>
> I haven't used ubuntu. I expect it's installer has something like
> gparted that
> can be used to extend the windows partition and then create the
> partitions to
> be used for ubuntu. Then install ubuntu including setting up the grub
> boot loader.
>
> If you don't want to reinstall linux right now, then the windows boot
> loader
> should be reinstalled.
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/429610/uninstall-grub-and-use-windows-bootloader

Probably, in the UEFI config (aka BIOS config) you can choose to boot
Windows directly, bypassing grub.

(Choose boot order...)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: grub question

<ulgma2$1pf54$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12436&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12436

From: Rockingh...@amgen.com (Rockinghorse Winner)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:56:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rockinghorse Winner - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:56 UTC

On 2023-10-14, bilsch01 <usenet@writer.com> wrote:
> My PC was booting windows/ubuntu but I have temporarily deleted the
> Ubuntu and SWAP partitions. After I extend my Windows partition by about
> 95 GiB, I will install a new version of Ubuntu in the remaining space.
> Before deleting the partitions, I had a boot menu to select Win or Ubu
> or EFI. Now the boot menu no longer displays - I think it needs info
> from the deleted Ubu partition. Instead of the boot menu, a Grub prompt
> is displayed. I discovered that if I type EXIT at the prompt the PC
> boots Windows.
>
> So far so good.
>
> I found if I type HELP at the grub prompt some pages of command names
> flash by on the screen. I'm hoping I can include a switch after the HELP
> command which will cause the the command names one page at a time - or
> even one line at a time.
>
> Ideally I would like something like this: HELP > help.txt
>
> Anything you can tell me to make Grub more user-friendly will be helpful.
>
> TIA. Bill S.

grub# set pager=1

Also, you can boot the kernel, if the install hasn't been erased, from the
grub cli. You don't need a menu.