From: 3t1ru...@anonaddy.me (nomad)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server,alt.privacy.spyware
Subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Update Installs Chrome Browser
Extension
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:36:11 -0000
 by: nomad - Wed, 18 May 2022 17:36 UTC

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:00:37 -0500
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> I read recently that the original creator of FF (Brendan
> Eich), has created a new browser. The Brave browser. It
> turns out that's a profound misnomer. Brave, based on
> Chromium, is designed to be spyware. It seems to be
> based on the presumtion that the Internet is doomed to
> be no more than a commercial venue. A corporate shopping
> mall. So the best we can do is to kick out the sleaziest
> mall tenants.
> https://www.brave.com/blogpost_1.html
>
> His thinking in a nutshell: The Internet must have ads to
> survive and ads come with spyware, so lets make better
> spyware. Classic money-crazed, murky-logic, Silicon Valley
> hipster thinking in "social progressive" sheeps' clothing.

I wouldn't call Eich a hipster. He got fired from Mozilla after it was revealed he had made a small donation to an organization opposed to same-sex marriage. More recently he was in the news for questioning the official covid narrative:

[start quote]
Dec. 22, 2020

A prominent Silicon Valley chief executive, Brendan Eich, is in hot water again for his views on topics far from technology.

Last time around, in 2014, Mr. Eich was pushed out of his job as the top executive of the Mozilla web browser project as a result of donations he had made in opposition to same-sex marriage.

This time, Mr. Eich is facing blowback from users of his new web browser project, Brave, over his skeptical views on public policy around the coronavirus pandemic.

In recent months, Mr. Eich’s Twitter feed has largely alternated between promotion of the privacy-focused Brave browser and questions about the policy and science related to the coronavirus.

His posts on Twitter have expressed skepticism about many prevailing assumptions around the pandemic, including the effectiveness of masks and the honesty of Anthony Fauci.
[end quote]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/business/brave-brendan-eich-covid-19.html

I prefer LibreWolf (Firefox based) to Brave, but Brave remains a decent enough browser and I wish the company continuing success. Lately I find myself regularly using the onion version of its search engine.

Eich explaining his business model in a Ted Talk a few years ago:
https://invidious.weblibre.org/watch?v=zlcnOr81lPc

Onion link:
http://grwp24hodrefzvjjuccrkw3mjq4tzhaaq32amf33dzpmuxe7ilepcmad.onion/watch?v=zlcnOr81lPc

Nomad