What the world *really* needs is a good Automatic Bicycle Sharpener.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

SubjectAuthor
* Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently Ant
`* Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur'sAlan Baker
 +* Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur'sDavid Brooks
 |`* Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur'sDavid Brooks
 | `- Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recenSnit
 `* Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recenSnit
  +* Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur'sLewis
  |`- Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS BigSnit
  `- Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recenSnit

1
Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<J92dnQE2B-YkBzD9nZ2dnUU7-KPNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12182&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12182

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:47:53 -0500
 by: Ant - Wed, 26 May 2021 00:47 UTC

Hello.

Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Here I come, Zikron!
| |o o| |

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<s8kddp$da7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12183&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12183

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's
dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:56:56 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 26 May 2021 02:56 UTC

On 2021-05-25 5:47 p.m., Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
> recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
> local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
> won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
> for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

You'll have to describe it better than you have.

Maybe with a screenshot.

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<8nesI.3755$jf1.1317@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12194&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12194

dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 23:44:19 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 28 May 2021 22:44 UTC

On 26/05/2021 03:56, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2021-05-25 5:47 p.m., Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
>> recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
>> local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
>> won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
>> for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.
>>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>

> You'll have to describe it better than you have.
>
> Maybe with a screenshot.

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<fresI.458793$ST2.139207@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12195&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12195

dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 23:48:42 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 28 May 2021 22:48 UTC

On 28/05/2021 23:44, David Brooks wrote:
> On 26/05/2021 03:56, Alan Baker wrote:
>> On 2021-05-25 5:47 p.m., Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
>>> recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
>>> local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
>>> won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
>>> for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.
>>>
>>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>>

>> You'll have to describe it better than you have.
>>
>> Maybe with a screenshot.
>
> ❓

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1412/mac

If an app’s icon is in the Dock and you delete the app from your Mac,
the icon remains in the Dock but is covered by a question mark.
Remove the question mark icon: Drag the icon out of the Dock until you
see Remove.

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<arEsI.1210$8m1.12@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12197&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12197

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 04:23:34 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 30 May 2021 04:23 UTC

On May 28, 2021 at 3:48:42 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<fresI.458793$ST2.139207@fx47.iad>:

> On 28/05/2021 23:44, David Brooks wrote:

>>> You'll have to describe it better than you have.
>>>
>>> Maybe with a screenshot.
>>
>> ❓
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1412/mac
>
> If an app’s icon is in the Dock and you delete the app from your Mac,
> the icon remains in the Dock but is covered by a question mark.
> Remove the question mark icon: Drag the icon out of the Dock until you
> see Remove.

If needed I can make a video to show this.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<RJFsI.7859$z%.4554@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12198&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12198

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 05:51:45 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 30 May 2021 05:51 UTC

On May 25, 2021 at 7:56:56 PM MST, "Alan Baker" wrote
<s8kddp$da7$1@dont-email.me>:

> On 2021-05-25 5:47 p.m., Ant wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
>> recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
>> local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
>> won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
>> for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.
>>
>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>

> You'll have to describe it better than you have.
>
> Maybe with a screenshot.

How about a video:

https://youtu.be/QqveGvpmD7s

Before the video: I copied VLC, added it to the Dock, the deleted it.

In the video: I try to start VLC... it cannot be found so the icon gets a
question mark. Then I remove the icon from the dock.

Same will happen for missing documents (though they are on the other side of
the Dock).

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow
superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<slrnsb6c97.pg1.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12199&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12199

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 06:31:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Sun, 30 May 2021 06:31 UTC

In message <RJFsI.7859$z%.4554@fx06.iad> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before the video: I copied VLC, added it to the Dock, the deleted it.

> In the video: I try to start VLC... it cannot be found so the icon gets a
> question mark. Then I remove the icon from the dock.

That is not a bug, that is expected behavior. You put an app in the dock
and then deleted the app. the "?" is there to tell you the app you
placed in the dock cannot be found.

> Same will happen for missing documents (though they are on the other side of
> the Dock).

This is the expected behavior and has been since at least OS X 10.1.

--
'Pcharn'kov!' Footnote: 'Your feet shall be cut off and be buried
several yards from your body so your ghost won't walk.'

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<01HsI.1212$8m1.257@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12200&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12200

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big
Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 07:20:28 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 30 May 2021 07:20 UTC

Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:
> In message <RJFsI.7859$z%.4554@fx06.iad> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Before the video: I copied VLC, added it to the Dock, the deleted it.
>
>> In the video: I try to start VLC... it cannot be found so the icon gets a
>> question mark. Then I remove the icon from the dock.
>
> That is not a bug, that is expected behavior. You put an app in the dock
> and then deleted the app. the "?" is there to tell you the app you
> placed in the dock cannot be found.

Correct.

>> Same will happen for missing documents (though they are on the other side of
>> the Dock).
>
> This is the expected behavior and has been since at least OS X 10.1.

Agreed.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for recently opened apps for Office documents?

<NvIsI.180496$lyv9.86033@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12201&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12201

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 09:01:33 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 30 May 2021 09:01 UTC

On May 29, 2021 at 10:51:45 PM MST, "Snit" wrote
<RJFsI.7859$z%.4554@fx06.iad>:

> On May 25, 2021 at 7:56:56 PM MST, "Alan Baker" wrote
> <s8kddp$da7$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> On 2021-05-25 5:47 p.m., Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else get question marks often in mac OS Big Sur's dock for
>>> recently opened apps for MS Office v16 documents? Each dock ? shows a
>>> local Office document (e.g., PowerPoint slide). Obviously, opening them
>>> won't work since they're not there. I thought they were supposed to be
>>> for apps. They were never moved from /Applications.
>>>
>>> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>>>

>> You'll have to describe it better than you have.
>>
>> Maybe with a screenshot.
>
> How about a video:
>
> https://youtu.be/QqveGvpmD7s
>
> Before the video: I copied VLC, added it to the Dock, the deleted it.
>
> In the video: I try to start VLC... it cannot be found so the icon gets a
> question mark. Then I remove the icon from the dock.
>
> Same will happen for missing documents (though they are on the other side of
> the Dock).

There has been some confusion: this is expected behavior. Not exactly sure
what is the problem is... more info would be needed for me to understand if
the video solves the "issue" or if the original poster was confused or what is
going on. I am doing nothing but showing how macOS is designed to work.