From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: How hard can it be to find an Android text editor that edits plain text files & saves them to anywhere you want the txt to be stored?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 08:03:51 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 15 Dec 2022 08:03 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> A different attack: I will only thumb-type under extreme duress and if
> I want to put a text file on my phone I write it on my computer.

Hi TheRealBev,

It's always a pleasure discussing things of import with you as you bring
along an open minded view that is different than is mine, & that's great.

The problem comes when you want to edit/view a "shopping list" (or some
other type of "todo" list, or "price comparison" list or whatever list)
on multiple devices, multiple platforms, maybe even multiple people.

For that, "plain text" is, IMHO, a wonderfully cross-platform solution.

The "problem" I was having was that most of the shopping list apps,
todolist apps, price-comparison apps, etc., stored in a proprietary
location (often using a proprietary file format), which is a no no to me.

> Using ES File Manager (explorer) I have previously established
> 'shortcuts' on my phone for the /dcim/camera subdirectory and a
> subdirectory (/HOLD)on my computer to enable transferring photos from my
> phone to my computer via ftp.

Yes. Shortcuts are great because you can keep a folder of shortcuts which
can each, if you want, point to a different file in a different location -
but the folder of shortcuts keeps it all together.

As I snap pictures of prices when I'm shopping at Costco versus the grocery
store (so that I can check if any given price is a good one at any given
time), I put those photos in specific folders which are accessed by
shortcuts just like you do (e.g., costco folder, safeway folder, etc.).

In your case, I'd worry a bit about that "ES File Manager" app (which you
seem to be well advised about already) but most file managers allow you to
create shortcuts so what you do can be done with most file managers (IMHO).

> It takes only seconds when you get used
> to the routine. Accordingly, I copy the computer-written file to /HOLD
> and thence to /camera, from which I can move it anywhere I like.

Yup. I copy files back and forth over Wi-Fi (using a WebDAV server on
Android) all the time between the desktop and the cellular devices.

It would be nice to be able to figure out how to copy Android desktop
shortcuts from one Android to another via the Windows file manager though.

> I know that ESFM is a tool of the Chinese government and will suck my
> brain dry sooner or later, but I am NOTHING if not lazy.

Ah. So you know about this. Kudos to you for being well informed, and, even
more kudos to you for not being afraid to use a chainsaw, so to speak.

I use the example of a chainsaw because I've heard many people claim that
everything is so dangerous that they strongly advise against using tools,
but it's like them advising we use a butterknife to chop down a tree.

The Apple folks seem to be especially afraid of their own shadows, BTW.

> I started out
> with it when I got my first smartphone.

Yup. In the beginning, we all had ES File Manager on our phones.
Me too. But I ditched it. Luckily there are plenty which work great.

> I've tried different file
> managers, but ESFM does more stuff better. I'm sure that similar tasks
> can be accomplished with other FMs, I'm just not motivated to put in the
> effort.

You seem so well informed that I can't even teach you anything as you are
making proper risk assessments, and you're choosing tools for
functionality.

Me? I have a half dozen file managers because each does something different
that the others don't do, where some are just simple, others show root file
systems, others give the full filespec, while others hide it, some have
really nice menus for copying, and moving while others have the ability to
make shortcuts (as you had already noted), etc.

Since I'm always all about helping others, I'll go to the trouble to list
below the file managers that I find useful, so as to save others' time.

Here are mine, in the order I use them (since I organize my home screen
folders with the best apps or those I use most first in the display list).

MiXplorer <com.mixplorer> <== mine is free but I guess it's not free now
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.silver>

File Manager <com.simplemobiletools.filemanager.pro> <== free on F-Droid
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.filemanager>

File manager <pl.mkexplorer.kormateusz>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.mkexplorer.kormateusz>

FX <nextapp.fx>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx>

My Files <com.sec.android.app.myfiles> <== Samsung came with phone
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.app.myfiles>

Files <com.google.android.documentsui> <== some kind of shortcut
Files <org.aospstudio.files> <== some kind of shortcut
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aospstudio.files>

Amaze <com.amaze.filemanager>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amaze.filemanager>

There, I spent the time to look each one up, and that's when I noticed two
of the shortcuts aren't really apps at all. They're something 'special'.

Anyone know what they are and where they came from?
They seem to be native on my Android phone so maybe it's a Samsung thing?

BTW, given many have the same name and similar yellow folder icon, I love
that Android allows me to change icons and/or names of the shortcuts so I
can more easily distinguish between the two (which is something so simple
that it's amazing the primitive iOS launcher still can't do even that).

Unfortunately, I use iOS and Android every day interchangeably, where it's
simply amazing how primitive iOS is, particularly in text file management.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to converse adult to adult with the Real Bev.