"Were there no women, men might live like gods." -- Thomas Dekker

computers / alt.bbs.mystic / Is this thing on?

SubjectAuthor
* Is this thing on?Nicholas Boel
+* Is this thing on?Al
|`- Re: Is this thing on?g00r00
+- Re: Is this thing on?Jay Harris
`* Is this thing on?Al
 `* Is this thing on?Nicholas Boel
  `* Re: Is this thing on?Wilfred van Velzen
   `* Is this thing on?Nicholas Boel
    `* Re: Is this thing on?Wilfred van Velzen
     `* Is this thing on?Nicholas Boel
      `- Re: Is this thing on?Wilfred van Velzen

1
Is this thing on?

<1649976417@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1223

From: nospam.N...@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org (Nicholas Boel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Is this thing on?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 17:46:00 +1200
 by: Nicholas Boel - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 05:46 UTC

Hello All,

Did all the posts cease or is it just me?

Also, if Mr. Wiberg would care to post something so I can see if I'm getting
them now.. I'd appreciated it!

Regards,
Nick

.... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."

Is this thing on?

<535599005@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1224

From: nospam...@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org (Al)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 16:04:00 +1200
 by: Al - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 04:04 UTC

> Did all the posts cease or is it just me?

It does seem quite but Bjorn posted 2 days ago.

> Also, if Mr. Wiberg would care to post something so I can see if I'm getting
> them now.. I'd appreciated it!

I hope you'll see his posts from now on.. :)

Re: Is this thing on?

<361613886@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1225

From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Re: Is this thing on?
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:33:00 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 07:33 UTC

On 14 Apr 2022, Nicholas Boel said the following...
NB> @MSGID: 1:154/10 6258a461
NB> @CHRS: UTF-8 4
NB> @TZUTC: -0500
NB> @TID: hpt/lnx 1.9.0-cur 2021-05-15
NB> @SEEN-BY: 120/616 123/10 129/215 153/757 154/10 30 40 50 700 203/0
NB> 218/840
NB> @SEEN-BY: 220/90 221/6 226/18 227/201 229/310 664 280/464 301/1 770/1
NB> 2320/105
NB> @SEEN-BY: 3634/12
NB> @PATH: 154/10 221/6
NB> Hello All,
NB>
NB> Did all the posts cease or is it just me?
NB>
NB> Also, if Mr. Wiberg would care to post something so I can see if I'm
NB> getting them now.. I'd appreciated it!
NB>
NB> Regards,
NB> Nick
NB>
NB> ... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."
NB> --- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20210705
NB> * Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)

Got you here.

Jay

.... To a friends' house, the road is never long.

Is this thing on?

<755192576@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1226

From: nospam...@f757.n153.z1.fidonet.org (Al)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 00:44:40 +1200
 by: Al - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 12:44 UTC

> Also, if Mr. Wiberg would care to post something so I can see if I'm getting
> them now.. I'd appreciated it!

Bjorn has replied to you although he never saw your original message. Did you
get it?

Is this thing on?

<1650112396@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1228

From: nospam.N...@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org (Nicholas Boel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 07:32:38 +1200
 by: Nicholas Boel - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:32 UTC

Hello Al,

On Fri Apr 15 2022 00:44:40, you wrote to me:

>> Also, if Mr. Wiberg would care to post something so I can see if I'm
>> getting them now.. I'd appreciated it!

Al> Bjorn has replied to you although he never saw your original message.
Al> Did you get it?

I did. Two of them up until this message. Hopefully the traffic works both ways
now.

Regards,
Nick

.... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."

Re: Is this thing on?

<1650121863@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1229&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1229

From: nospam.W...@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org (Wilfred van Velzen)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:10:15 +1200
 by: Wilfred van Velzen - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 05:10 UTC

Hi Nicholas,

On 2022-04-16 07:32:38, you wrote to Al:

NB> @PATH: 154/10 3634/12 5020/1042 301/1 280/464

It's odd that this path is 4 minutes faster then our direct link for this
area!?

Bye, Wilfred.

Re: Is this thing on?

<1650136506@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1230&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1230

From: nospam.W...@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org (Wilfred van Velzen)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:15:05 +1200
 by: Wilfred van Velzen - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 09:15 UTC

Hi Nicholas,

On 2022-04-16 13:26:28, you wrote to me:

NB>>> @PATH: 154/10 3634/12 5020/1042 301/1 280/464

WV>> It's odd that this path is 4 minutes faster then our direct link for
WV>> this area!?

NB> Not sure what to tell you. Anything I write should leave here to all links
NB> at roughly the same time. Does the order of callouts have anything to do
NB> with how you list nodes in binkd.conf? If so, my list starts with 1: and
NB> 2:
NB> is further down the list in numerical order. Otherwise, who knows.

It of course depends on in what order your tosser presents the files to binkd.
But besides that it should handle most of the outgoing mail in parallel, unless
you have your maxclients set to a low value...

But your log should be able to tell you what happend (if you're interested
enough ;-))...

Bye, Wilfred.

Is this thing on?

<1650134022@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1231&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1231

From: nospam.N...@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org (Nicholas Boel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:26:28 +1200
 by: Nicholas Boel - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 01:26 UTC

Hello Wilfred,

On Sat Apr 16 2022 17:10:14, you wrote to me:

NB>> @PATH: 154/10 3634/12 5020/1042 301/1 280/464

WV> It's odd that this path is 4 minutes faster then our direct link for
WV> this area!?

Not sure what to tell you. Anything I write should leave here to all links at
roughly the same time. Does the order of callouts have anything to do with how
you list nodes in binkd.conf? If so, my list starts with 1: and 2: is further
down the list in numerical order. Otherwise, who knows.

Regards,
Nick

.... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."

Is this thing on?

<1650205101@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1236&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1236

From: nospam.N...@f10.n154.z1.fidonet.org (Nicholas Boel)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:00:40 +1200
 by: Nicholas Boel - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:00 UTC

Hello Wilfred,

On Sat Apr 16 2022 21:15:04, you wrote to me:

NB>> Not sure what to tell you. Anything I write should leave here to
NB>> all links at roughly the same time. Does the order of callouts
NB>> have anything to do with how you list nodes in binkd.conf? If so,
NB>> my list starts with 1: and 2: is further down the list in
NB>> numerical order. Otherwise, who knows.

WV> It of course depends on in what order your tosser presents the files
WV> to binkd. But besides that it should handle most of the outgoing mail
WV> in parallel, unless you have your maxclients set to a low value...

WV> But your log should be able to tell you what happend (if you're
WV> interested enough ;-))...

Besides what is already out in the open, the other things I can think of is (1)
an issue that I'm in the process of resolving is that 301/1 connects here about
1500 times per day, and roughly 1450 of them are failed connections.. This I
can't really do anything about until I get a response, and (2) with over 100
links, if 1 or more of them are down and maxclients is set to a low number, it
delays as long as it takes for the connection to timeout - which can also hold
things up quite a bit. Every once in awhile I look into this and remove dead or
unresponsive links. What else more can I say?

I don't remember why I originally set my maxclients to a lower value, but
something not happening the way I wanted it to in the past made me do it. That
said, I've raised it for now to see if it makes things faster. However, if I
start having other issues because of it.. 4 minutes in transit is still better
than a week or more via snail mail. ;)

Regards,
Nick

.... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."

Re: Is this thing on?

<1650224655@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1238&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1238

From: nospam.W...@f464.n280.z2.fidonet.org (Wilfred van Velzen)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 21:41:25 +1200
 by: Wilfred van Velzen - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:41 UTC

Hi Nicholas,

On 2022-04-17 09:00:40, you wrote to me:

NB>>> Not sure what to tell you. Anything I write should leave here to
NB>>> all links at roughly the same time. Does the order of callouts
NB>>> have anything to do with how you list nodes in binkd.conf? If so,
NB>>> my list starts with 1: and 2: is further down the list in
NB>>> numerical order. Otherwise, who knows.

WV>> It of course depends on in what order your tosser presents the files
WV>> to binkd. But besides that it should handle most of the outgoing mail
WV>> in parallel, unless you have your maxclients set to a low value...

WV>> But your log should be able to tell you what happend (if you're
WV>> interested enough ;-))...

NB> Besides what is already out in the open, the other things I can think of
NB> is
NB> (1) an issue that I'm in the process of resolving is that 301/1 connects
NB> here about 1500 times per day, and roughly 1450 of them are failed
NB> connections.. This I can't really do anything about until I get a
NB> response,
NB> and (2) with over 100 links, if 1 or more of them are down and maxclients
NB> is set to a low number, it delays as long as it takes for the connection
NB> timeout - which can also hold things up quite a bit. Every once in awhile
NB> look into this and remove dead or unresponsive links. What else more can I
NB> say?

This sounds like a very plausible cause for what I've seen happening.

NB> I don't remember why I originally set my maxclients to a lower value,
NB> but something not happening the way I wanted it to in the past made me
NB> do it. That said, I've raised it for now to see if it makes things
NB> faster. However, if I start having other issues because of it.. 4
NB> minutes in transit is still better than a week or more via snail mail.
NB> ;)

Indeed... I just found it odd. In the end it doesn't really matter if mail
comes in via another longer route, as long as it comes in... ;-)

Bye, Wilfred.

Re: Is this thing on?

<4018065605@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1240&group=alt.bbs.mystic#1240

From: nospam.g...@f215.n129.z1.fidonet.org (g00r00)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:28:36 +1200
 by: g00r00 - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:28 UTC

Al> > Did all the posts cease or is it just me?
Al>
Al> It does seem quite but Bjorn posted 2 days ago.

Some of that might be my fault. I am really busy at the moment and I haven't
been able to read or particpate in the BBS scene much at all. :(

.... Honk if you love peace and quiet!