Don't tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done. -- James J. Ling

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

SubjectAuthor
* keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
+* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarco Moock
|+- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|+- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuNummeShkassatUCazzz
|`* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
| `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuAndy Burns
|  `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|   `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuJerry Peters
|    +- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|    `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menucandycanearter07
|     +* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuDavid W. Hodgins
|     |+- Re: keyboard inert during grub menucandycanearter07
|     |`* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|     | +* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuAndy Burns
|     | |`- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|     | `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
|     |  `- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuComputer Nerd Kev
|     +* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuRobert Heller
|     |`* Re: keyboard inert during grub menucandycanearter07
|     | `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuNuno Silva
|     |  `- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuAndy Burns
|     +- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuEdmund H. Ramm
|     `- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuComputer Nerd Kev
`* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
 `* Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP
  `- Re: keyboard inert during grub menuMarioCCCP

Pages:12
keyboard inert during grub menu

<uggatc$dud1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12134&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12134

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: keyboard inert during grub menu
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:20:44 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:20 UTC

since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
config file.
The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
only loads the default preselected entry

What could be happening ? Where do I need to look for to
debug this problem ?
After boot the keyboard works normally w/o any action ...
tnx

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<ugql5j$7334$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12159&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12159

From: mm+use...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: keyboard inert during grub menu
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 09:17:07 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 07:17 UTC

Am 15.10.2023 schrieb MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it>:

> since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
> correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
> disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
> config file.
> The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
> only loads the default preselected entry

I had such a problem and IIRC he reason was keyboard was not properly
initialized in UEFI.

Place
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"
in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and restart.

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<ugro5j$f230$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12167&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12167

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:14:27 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:14 UTC

On 19/10/23 09:17, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 15.10.2023 schrieb MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it>:
>
>> since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
>> correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
>> disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
>> config file.
>> The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
>> only loads the default preselected entry
>
> I had such a problem and IIRC he reason was keyboard was not properly
> initialized in UEFI.
>
> Place
> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"
> in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and restart.

I'll try !!!
to start with, I post the output of my actual copy

> $ cat /etc/default/grub
> # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
> # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
> # For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
> # info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT="Debian GNU/Linux"
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=20
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>
> # If your computer has multiple operating systems installed, then you
> # probably want to run os-prober. However, if your computer is a host
> # for guest OSes installed via LVM or raw disk devices, running
> # os-prober can cause damage to those guest OSes as it mounts
> # filesystems to look for things.
> #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

since it does not detect Linux MX, could I uncomment the
line before ?

> # Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
> # This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
> # the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
> #GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"
>
> # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
> #GRUB_TERMINAL="console"

this line is strange to me ?
Could it be the culprit (disabled console) ?

Anyway, I'll try the addition you suggested. But I am
curious about the ##GRUB_TERMINAL="console" commented and
its effect

Ciao !

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<ugro61$f4et$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12168&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12168

From: Iosoppa...@NummeShkassatUCazzz.jp (NummeShkassatUCazzz)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:14:40 +0200
 by: NummeShkassatUCazzz - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:14 UTC

<uhg07c$26ovk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12249&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12249

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:34:36 +0200
 by: MarioCCCP - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 09:34 UTC

On 19/10/23 09:17, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 15.10.2023 schrieb MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it>:
>
>> since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
>> correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
>> disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
>> config file.
>> The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
>> only loads the default preselected entry
>
> I had such a problem and IIRC he reason was keyboard was not properly
> initialized in UEFI.
>
> Place
> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"
> in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and restart.

I tried the recommended solution ... but it didn't work.
The keyboard seem unresponsive. Even the lights (capslock,
numlock) don't work in the pre-boot situation :(

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<kq1humFqdf1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12250&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12250

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 11:32:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:32 UTC

MarioCCCP wrote:

> Marco Moock wrote:
> >> I had such a problem and IIRC he reason was keyboard was not properly
>> initialized in UEFI.
>>
>> Place
>> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"
>> in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and restart.
>
> I tried the recommended solution ... but it didn't work.
> The keyboard seem unresponsive. Even the lights (capslock, numlock)
> don't work in the pre-boot situation :(

PS/2 keyboard or USB?
The latter might need some kind of USB legacy setting enabling in BIOS/UEFI

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhli91$3rlpv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12262&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12262

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:13:20 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 12:13 UTC

On 27/10/23 12:32, Andy Burns wrote:
> MarioCCCP wrote:

>> was not properly
>>> initialized in UEFI.
>>>
>>> Place
>>> GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT="at_keyboard"
>>> in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub and restart.
>>
>> I tried the recommended solution ... but it didn't work.
>> The keyboard seem unresponsive. Even the lights (capslock,
>> numlock) don't work in the pre-boot situation :(
>
> PS/2 keyboard or USB?
> The latter might need some kind of USB legacy setting
> enabling in BIOS/UEFI

I did not change any BIOS option at all, and some time ago,
the keyboard was indeed detected and working.
The keyboard itself is not broken, since it works after boot
completion.

Sth must have become misconfigured somewhere, at level of
grub (since the OS is not in command).
The keyboard works within the BIOS.

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhmb53$1bj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12263&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12263

From: jer...@example.invalid (Jerry Peters)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 19:17:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jerry Peters - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 19:17 UTC

MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
> On 27/10/23 12:32, Andy Burns wrote:
>> MarioCCCP wrote:

>>> was not properly

>>> I tried the recommended solution ... but it didn't work.
>>> The keyboard seem unresponsive. Even the lights (capslock,
>>> numlock) don't work in the pre-boot situation :(
>>
>> PS/2 keyboard or USB?
>> The latter might need some kind of USB legacy setting
>> enabling in BIOS/UEFI
>>

> I did not change any BIOS option at all, and some time ago,
> the keyboard was indeed detected and working.
> The keyboard itself is not broken, since it works after boot
> completion.
>
> Sth must have become misconfigured somewhere, at level of
> grub (since the OS is not in command).
> The keyboard works within the BIOS.

You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhmh9t$2c7e$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12264&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12264

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:02:53 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:02 UTC

On 29/10/23 20:17, Jerry Peters wrote:
> MarioCCCP <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:

>>> PS/2 keyboard or USB?
>>> The latter might need some kind of USB legacy setting
>>> enabling in BIOS/UEFI
>>>

>> I did not change any BIOS option at all, and some time ago,
>> the keyboard was indeed detected and working.
>> The keyboard itself is not broken, since it works after boot
>> completion.
>>
>> Sth must have become misconfigured somewhere, at level of
>> grub (since the OS is not in command).
>> The keyboard works within the BIOS.
>
> You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.

sorry, I forgot.
USB keyboard

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhmi08$3ut59$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12265&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12265

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:14:48 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 21:14 UTC

On 10/29/23 14:17, Jerry Peters wrote:
>> On 27/10/23 12:32, Andy Burns wrote:
>>> PS/2 keyboard or USB?
>>> The latter might need some kind of USB legacy setting
>>> enabling in BIOS/UEFI
<snip>
> You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.

Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<op.2dljvlpba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12266&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12266

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 18:10:23 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:10 UTC

On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:14:48 -0400, candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>> You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.
>
> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question

I have a ps/2 keyboard. The only time I use it is when I need to be
able to edit the command line during boot using grub.

With my wireless usb keyboard, it sometimes works in grub but usually
does not. It has to be some sort of a race condition, but I've given
up trying to fix it.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhmmsd$2tqr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12267&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12267

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:38:04 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 22:38 UTC

On 10/29/23 17:10, David W. Hodgins wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> You didn't answer the question:  PS/2 or  USB? It matters.
>>
>> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question
>
> I have a ps/2 keyboard. The only time I use it is when I need to be
> able to edit the command line during boot using grub.
>
> With my wireless usb keyboard, it sometimes works in grub but usually
> does not. It has to be some sort of a race condition, but I've given
> up trying to fix it.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Oh neat. I haven't had any issues with my wired USB keyboard, but glad
you found something that works for you

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<9jidnVwNkO5FaaP4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12268&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12268

From: hel...@deepsoft.com (Robert Heller)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 00:12:08 +0000
 by: Robert Heller - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 00:12 UTC

At Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:14:48 -0500 candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> <snip>
> > You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.
>
> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question

Although my current motherboard does have a PS/2 connector, I use a PS/2
keyboard (really old school DEC made model), but with a PS/2 <=> USB adaptor.

(I don't like modern keyboards -- I don't really like their feel...)

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhn0c0$2tqu$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12269&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12269

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:20:00 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 01:20 UTC

On 10/29/23 19:12, Robert Heller wrote:

>> <snip>
>>> You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.
>>
>> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question
>
> Although my current motherboard does have a PS/2 connector, I use a PS/2
> keyboard (really old school DEC made model), but with a PS/2 <=> USB adaptor.
>
> (I don't like modern keyboards -- I don't really like their feel...)

Oh neat. Repurposing old equipment is always a cool thing to do, and
shows how timeless it is.

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhntjl$d0da$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12270&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12270

From: nunojsi...@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:43:41 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 09:43 UTC

On 2023-10-30, candycanearter07 wrote:

> On 10/29/23 19:12, Robert Heller wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question
>>
>> Although my current motherboard does have a PS/2 connector, I use a PS/2
>> keyboard (really old school DEC made model), but with a PS/2 <=> USB adaptor.
>>
>> (I don't like modern keyboards -- I don't really like their feel...)
>>

> Oh neat. Repurposing old equipment is always a cool thing to do, and
> shows how timeless it is.

A key point here is often that it's really just using something that
still works, for the purpose it was built for.

PS/2 here too because it's pretty good compared to many others and still
works.

I also have a different keyboard here that won't work with the PS/2-USB
adapter. It's not being used on this machine only because it does not
have enough modifier keys.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<kq9fsmFl7vfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12271&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12271

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:46:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:46 UTC

Nuno Silva wrote:

> I also have a different keyboard here that won't work with the PS/2-USB
> adapter. It's not being used on this machine only because it does not
> have enough modifier keys.

I did find a particular type of USB/PS2 adapter that works with Model M
keyboards, but eventually the lack of Win and context menu keys got to me.

I out to put several Model Ms and LK250s on ebay really ...

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uho6qh$en3v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12272&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12272

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:16:16 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:16 UTC

On 29/10/23 23:10, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:14:48 -0400, candycanearter07
> <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> You didn't answer the question:  PS/2 or  USB? It matters.
>>
>> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question
>
> I have a ps/2 keyboard. The only time I use it is when I
> need to be
> able to edit the command line during boot using grub.
reasonable ... but I need to underline that THIS (usb)
keyboard have been working perfectly with this Debian
install beforehand. And it is not "broken".
So it must have happened sth that prevents grub from
detecting it recently or at least inhibit input

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<kqa9abFqh5rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12273&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12273

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:00:39 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:00 UTC

David W. Hodgins wrote:

> All that leaves is hardware and firmware.

To the O/P ...

Does it make a difference if you fully power off before entering grub,
or reboot without powering off to enter grub (the latter may leave USB
initialised from previous boot).

Are you sure there isn't a legacy USB option in BIOS/UEFI? (regardless
of whether or not you may have used it before).

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhos3d$ir3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12274&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12274

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:18:55 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:18 UTC

On 30/10/23 18:24, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 08:16:16 -0400, MarioCCCP
> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>> reasonable ... but I need to underline that THIS (usb)
>> keyboard have been working perfectly with this Debian
>> install beforehand. And it is not "broken".
>> So it must have happened sth that prevents grub from
>> detecting it recently or at least inhibit input
>
> The usb keyboard sometimes works for me in grub, but usually
> doesn't;
> I've made no changes to grub between those cases;
> There is no other software involved (I don't use os-prober)
> that early in
> the boot.
>
> All that leaves is hardware and firmware. As I haven't
> changed the firmware
> or anything that is likely to affect how it runs, I'm down
> do hardware.
> I use a ups, so that should minimize any voltage change issues.
>
> I just tried unplugging my usb sd card reader, usb printer,
> and usb headphones.
> On reboot, grub is working with the usb wireless keyboard.
> It didn't work when
> I last booted this system. As the issue is intermittent, it
> will take time to
> confirm that's the trigger.
>
> I suspect that grub2 is not always waiting long enough for
> the usb controller

Fine !!! It had been sort of a suspect of mine too, and I
have set the timeout to 10 seconds (beforehand it had been
just 3 sec). Also I tried to unplug / replug.
Nothing worked

> and the human interface devices connected to it to
> initialize. Having other
> usb devices connected would slow down the usb controller
> initializing.

well, I have quite a lot of them (an USB modem and a drawing
surface). The fact remains that ALL of this have been
working perfectly since the beginning of the time.
It is only recently that sth broke, some way

> Try unplugging all usb devices that you don't need to have
> present during boot.

I'll try to unplug the drawing surface
TNX

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhos8r$ir3k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12275&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12275

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:22:17 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

On 30/10/23 19:00, Andy Burns wrote:
> David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
>> All that leaves is hardware and firmware.
>
> To the O/P ...
>
> Does it make a difference if you fully power off before
> entering grub, or reboot without powering off to enter grub
> (the latter may leave USB initialised from previous boot).

yes, no difference when rebooting, resuming from
hibernation, shutting down, CRASHING the system due to power
loss.

> Are you sure there isn't a legacy USB option in BIOS/UEFI?

can't remember. It's a long time I haven't entered the bios.
I'm wary because nothing there may have changed, and it
worked before. Putting the hands there, hence, recalls me of
the lady that lost car's keys in a lawn and looked for them
below a light, because there it was easier to search :D

> (regardless of whether or not you may have used it before).

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<uhol7l$5nk$1@dj6ux.ampr.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12276&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12276

From: dj6...@posteo.de (Edmund H. Ramm)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:22:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Edmund H. Ramm - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 16:22 UTC

In <uhmi08$3ut59$3@dont-email.me> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> writes:

> [...]
>>> [...]
> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question

yes, of course.
--
Zu Leute blickten aufeinander, in der endgültigen Verwunderung flüchtig.
-babelfish e-mail: dj6ux AT posteo DOT de

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<65401b1a@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12277&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12277

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 31 Oct 2023 07:07:38 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:07 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>> You didn't answer the question: PS/2 or USB? It matters.
>
> Does anyone use a PS/2 keyboard anymore? Honest question

PS/2? Ha! The keyboard I'm typing this on has a DIN connector.

I only bought my first USB keyboard (actually a wireless
keyboard/mouse) when I started messing about with Raspberry Pi
Zeros, because my PS/2 -> USB adapter was proving unreliable with
them.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<65401c8b@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12278&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12278

From: not...@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
References: <uggatc$dud1$1@dont-email.me> <ugql5j$7334$1@dont-email.me> <uhg07c$26ovk$2@dont-email.me> <kq1humFqdf1U1@mid.individual.net> <uhli91$3rlpv$3@dont-email.me> <uhmb53$1bj7$1@dont-email.me> <uhmi08$3ut59$3@dont-email.me> <op.2dljvlpba3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net> <uho6qh$en3v$1@dont-email.me> <op.2dm1bddja3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net> <uhos3d$ir3k$1@dont-email.me> <op.2dm7zl13a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>
Date: 31 Oct 2023 07:13:47 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> It may also depend on which usb port the dongle is plugged into, assuming
> that is what decides the order usb devices are initialized.

Also make sure the USB port that the keyboard is connected to is
one that's built into the motherboard, not a PCI (etc.) USB card
which the BIOS might not have a driver for. Remove all USB hubs as
well.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _# | Note: I won't see posts made from Google Groups |

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<ui0cic$27ut9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12282&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12282

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:43:24 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 14:43 UTC

On 15/10/23 11:20, MarioCCCP wrote:

> since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
> correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
> disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
> config file.
> The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
> only loads the default preselected entry
>
> What could be happening ? Where do I need to look for to
> debug this problem ?
> After boot the keyboard works normally w/o any action ...
> tnx

reply to all those (Mr Hodgin ? Other ?) who recommended to
disconnect inessential USB devices.

I disconnected the modem and the drawing surface and
SUCCESS, the Keyboard had been detected.

Tnx a lot, it was a simple fix, but never ever dreamed about
it !
Grazie !

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
MarioCPPP

Re: keyboard inert during grub menu

<ui55i3$3al75$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12284&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12284

From: NoliMihi...@libero.it (MarioCCCP)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 11:14:26 +0100
 by: MarioCCCP - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:14 UTC

On 02/11/23 17:57, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2023 10:43:24 -0400, MarioCCCP
> <NoliMihiFrangereMentulam@libero.it> wrote:
>
>> On 15/10/23 11:20, MarioCCCP wrote:
>>>
>>> since some weeks ago, Debian's grub either does not detect
>>> correctly the keyboard or some "hidden" option which
>>> disables menu entries selections has ended in some grub
>>> config file.
>>> The result is grub menu does not respond to user input and
>>> only loads the default preselected entry
>>>
>>> What could be happening ? Where do I need to look for to
>>> debug this problem ?
>>> After boot the keyboard works normally w/o any action ...
>>> tnx
>>>

>> reply to all those (Mr Hodgin ? Other ?) who recommended to
>> disconnect inessential USB devices.
>>
>> I disconnected the modem and the drawing surface and
>> SUCCESS, the Keyboard had been detected.
>>
>> Tnx a lot, it was a simple fix, but never ever dreamed about
>> it !
>> Grazie !
>
> You're welcome. Next step is to reconnect everything,
> reboot, check the journal
> to see which usb device is detected first, and then swap the
> usb dongle with
> that device, so that hopefully it's detected first and grub
> sees it without
> having to disconnect everything else. I haven't tested that
> yet as I'm fine
> with not having the unused hardware connected. I'm not sure
> if grub will see
> it, or if grub only sees usb devices after all connected usb
> devices have been
> detected.
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins.

since the problem has arisen again ... what should I look
for in the journal ?

Is it possible that the particolar port selected might be
relevant ?
To try, I'll shuffle mouse and keyboard, since mouse is
never seen at all at grub menu level.
I'm discouraged a bit :(