From: nospam.J...@f664.n229.z1.fidonet.org (Jay Harris)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs.mystic
Subject: Netmail Base Unread Messages
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:52:36 +1200
 by: Jay Harris - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 20:52 UTC

Hi g00r00,

Something I've noticed lately I will log in in the morning to find that every
message in my netmail base has been marked unread, not every morning, just
every now & then.

I logged in this morning and all of my messages were marked as read, as they
should be.

I then did some Areafix'ing and wanted to clean up those messages so packed my
message bases, and when I logged back in every message in my Netmail bases was
marked unread. Here are the relevant lines from mutil.log:

----------------- MUTIL v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 Fri, Apr 15 2022 (loglevel 2)
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Startup using mutil.ini
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Process: Purging Message Bases
[...]
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Netmail
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Purge private messages
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Purge by age: 365 days
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Purge by max msgs: 500 (205 current)
+ Apr 15 08:08:59 Purged 0
[...]

----------------- MUTIL v1.12 A48 2022/04/03 Fri, Apr 15 2022 (loglevel 2)
+ Apr 15 08:09:30 Startup using mutil.ini
+ Apr 15 08:09:30 Process: Packing Message Bases
[...]
+ Apr 15 08:09:30 Netmail
+ Apr 15 08:09:30 Removed 8 msgs
[...]

So it would appear that if mutil is able to remove some messages in the netmail
base all messages become marked as unread. This doesn't appear to be the case
in any echomail bases (that I've noticed), though I don't delete messages from
echomail bases very often.

Jay

.... It was such a lovely day, I thought it was a pity to get up.