From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Contact for top1000 list?
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:50:02 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:50 UTC

For a long time, I've been unable to submit to the top 1000 list due to
the owners mail server not accepting my IP address.

I've tried to email him from other accounts but it seems like he cannot
be bothered to respond to me. Does he talk to anyone else? I need to
get my ip whitelisted otherwise I cannot submit.

<top1000@anthologeek.net>: connect to
mail1.anthologeek.net[195.154.56.177]:25:
Connection timed out

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Contact for top1000 list?

<20220925213841.6996a5ce@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=news.software.nntp#1226

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Contact for top1000 list?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 21:38:41 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 02:38 UTC

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:50:02 -0500
Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

> For a long time, I've been unable to submit to the top 1000 list due
> to the owners mail server not accepting my IP address.
>
> I've tried to email him from other accounts but it seems like he
> cannot be bothered to respond to me. Does he talk to anyone else? I
> need to get my ip whitelisted otherwise I cannot submit.
>
> <top1000@anthologeek.net>: connect to
> mail1.anthologeek.net[195.154.56.177]:25:
> Connection timed out

Since there is a resounding silence, I am reluctant to say that I can
no longer provide stats to the Top 100 list.

If that means some peers are going to drop me, that's fine.
Unfortunately, it's out of my hands if Sameh Ghane refuses to talk to
me.

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Contact for top1000 list?

<tgv1ro$n6m$1@remote6hme0.ripco.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1233&group=news.software.nntp#1233

From: bje...@ripco.com
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:37:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bje...@ripco.com - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:37 UTC

Nigel Reed <sysop@endofthelinebbs.com> wrote:

> Since there is a resounding silence, I am reluctant to say that I can
> no longer provide stats to the Top 100 list.
>
> If that means some peers are going to drop me, that's fine.
> Unfortunately, it's out of my hands if Sameh Ghane refuses to talk to
> me.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

There is only around 80 systems that contribute monthly and I checked my
feeds, out of the 10 inbound, only 5 seem to bother.

I really doubt anyone would refuse to peer if you don't contribute.

That whole thing was like a penis competition for speed on how fast you can
toss articles around and really doesn't have much meaning anymore. If they
from the start would of separated systems that carry alt.binaries.* and ones
that don't, it might of been a good road map on who to peer with.

Right now I doubt anyone cares an article shows up 10 seconds later than
somewhere else.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com

Re: Contact for top1000 list?

<20220928125804.0244c37c@wibble.sysadmininc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1235&group=news.software.nntp#1235

From: sys...@endofthelinebbs.com (Nigel Reed)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:58:04 -0500
 by: Nigel Reed - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 17:58 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:37:44 -0000 (UTC)
bje@ripco.com wrote:

> Right now I doubt anyone cares an article shows up 10 seconds later
> than somewhere else.

That's probably a true observation.

Thanks,
Nigel

--
End Of The Line BBS - Plano, TX
telnet endofthelinebbs.com 23

Re: Contact for top1000 list?

<th3smr$30ho$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1236&group=news.software.nntp#1236

From: jesse.re...@blueworldhosting.com (Jesse Rehmer)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 10:40:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jesse Rehmer - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 10:40 UTC

On Sep 27, 2022 at 9:37:44 AM CDT, "bje@ripco.com" <bje@ripco.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
>
> There is only around 80 systems that contribute monthly and I checked my
> feeds, out of the 10 inbound, only 5 seem to bother.
>
> I really doubt anyone would refuse to peer if you don't contribute.
>
> That whole thing was like a penis competition for speed on how fast you can
> toss articles around and really doesn't have much meaning anymore. If they
> from the start would of separated systems that carry alt.binaries.* and ones
> that don't, it might of been a good road map on who to peer with.
>
> Right now I doubt anyone cares an article shows up 10 seconds later than
> somewhere else.
>
> -bruce
> bje@ripco.com

I agree, there isn't a useful metric with the current state of top1000. My
server is generally in the top 10 and I'm basically just a transit peer, very
few articles originate here. I have ranked higher than GigaNews, but I don't
see anywhere near the same number of articles, and GigaNews is still a large
injection point (yes for non-binary articles, too).

It might be useful in some way if, like Bruce said, you separate out
commercial/binary/full-feed entities from the rest, but still only if a larger
sample of servers submit in both categories. If the commercial providers, or
more than the single one that does (uzoreto.com), would submit there might be
a better picture of distrubution or origin since they truly "see" more of
Usenet than everyone else.

Cheers,
Jesse