From: Usernet....@seniejitrakai.net (ejs)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Q: 'pinned' message
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 21:52:33 +0300
 by: ejs - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 18:52 UTC

Dear All,

we are running an Usenet server with local groups only.

Only *.test groups accepts unauthorized posts here. With the advent of
Thunderbird's NNTP implementation in JS we get a some complains that it
is impossible to post to the server.

We have added information to our Web page, but we also want to keep the
message in the *.test group.
We tried posting a message with the date in the future (like year 2023),
but INN is rejecting the post.

Is there any other way to protect the message? We can access the files
and it is possible to alter both the content and file attributes.

--
ejs

Re: Q: 'pinned' message

<8735c4g0wn.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1242&group=news.software.nntp#1242

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Q: 'pinned' message
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 12:30:48 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Mon, 3 Oct 2022 19:30 UTC

ejs <Usernet.eternal-september@seniejitrakai.net> writes:

> we are running an Usenet server with local groups only.

> Only *.test groups accepts unauthorized posts here. With the advent of
> Thunderbird's NNTP implementation in JS we get a some complains that it
> is impossible to post to the server.

> We have added information to our Web page, but we also want to keep the
> message in the *.test group. We tried posting a message with the date
> in the future (like year 2023), but INN is rejecting the post.

> Is there any other way to protect the message? We can access the files and
> it is possible to alter both the content and file attributes.

There have been various proposals for how to do pinned messages, but so
far as I know no one has ever implemented any of them.

Your best bet with existing technology is probably to post a message with
an Expires far into the future and make sure your expiration rules for the
relevant group allow Expires to override the normal expiration period.
That will eventualy make that the first unexpired message in the group.
(You may have to add some rules to protect against users abusing Expires
as well.)

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Q: 'pinned' message

<thjf8p$2uek9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1254&group=news.software.nntp#1254

From: Usernet....@seniejitrakai.net (ejs)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 11:29:12 +0300
 by: ejs - Wed, 5 Oct 2022 08:29 UTC

2022-10-03 22:30, Russ Allbery rašė:
> ejs <Usernet.eternal-september@seniejitrakai.net> writes:

> Your best bet with existing technology is probably to post a message with
> an Expires far into the future and make sure your expiration rules for the
> relevant group allow Expires to override the normal expiration period.
> That will eventualy make that the first unexpired message in the group.
> (You may have to add some rules to protect against users abusing Expires
> as well.)

Thank you for the response.

We are testing this suggestion right now.

One way of dealing with 'Expires' headers is to allow them from
authorized users only, where Perl/Pyhon filtering comes handy.

--
ejs