From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Discobolus
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:41:09 +0100
 by: Richard Ashbery - Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:41 UTC

I've copied Steve Drain's rather excellent little module into my
Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks and it seems to function correctly (so far). I
can edit the Read/Write colours in a TaskWindow without issues but
what's the best way to save these new colours over a reboot?

Re: Discobolus

<5914e2e1f4UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1244&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1244

From: UCE...@tiscali.co.uk (John Williams (News))
Subject: Re: Discobolus
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:43:46 +0100
 by: John Williams (News) - Mon, 29 Mar 2021 16:43 UTC

In article <5914e2a4a2basura@invalid.addr.uk>,
Richard Ashbery <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> I've copied Steve Drain's rather excellent little module into my
> Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks and it seems to function correctly (so far). I
> can edit the Read/Write colours in a TaskWindow without issues but
> what's the best way to save these new colours over a reboot?

How about a little ObeyFile appearing after the module to implement the
changes just like you did by hand. Then put it in tasks to be actioned
after the module is loaded!

Untested!

John

Re: Discobolus

<5914eb77febasura@invalid.addr.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1245&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1245

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:17:33 +0100
 by: Richard Ashbery - Mon, 29 Mar 2021 18:17 UTC

In article <5914e2e1f4UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams (News)
<UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5914e2a4a2basura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
> <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> > I've copied Steve Drain's rather excellent little module into my
> > Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks and it seems to function correctly (so
> > far). I can edit the Read/Write colours in a TaskWindow without
> > issues but what's the best way to save these new colours over a
> > reboot?

> How about a little ObeyFile appearing after the module to implement
> the changes just like you did by hand. Then put it in tasks to be
> actioned after the module is loaded!

I'll look into that John - probably need to put the Obeyfile into
Run-at-startup.

Richard

Re: Discobolus

<5914ed1302basura@invalid.addr.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1246&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1246

From: bas...@invalid.addr.uk (Richard Ashbery)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 19:35:05 +0100
 by: Richard Ashbery - Mon, 29 Mar 2021 18:35 UTC

In article <5914eb77febasura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
<basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:
> In article <5914e2e1f4UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk>, John Williams (News)
> <UCEbin@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <5914e2a4a2basura@invalid.addr.uk>, Richard Ashbery
> > <basura@invalid.addr.uk> wrote:

> > > I've copied Steve Drain's rather excellent little module into
> > > my Boot.Choices.Boot.Tasks and it seems to function correctly
> > > (so far). I can edit the Read/Write colours in a TaskWindow
> > > without issues but what's the best way to save these new
> > > colours over a reboot?

> > How about a little ObeyFile appearing after the module to
> > implement the changes just like you did by hand. Then put it in
> > tasks to be actioned after the module is loaded!

> I'll look into that John - probably need to put the Obeyfile into
> Run-at-startup.

That works bearing in mind that the default hourglass colours are
still seen on Boot-up until the Obeyfile gets called.

Richard

Re: Discobolus

<s3us7d$rbt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1247&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1247

From: ste...@kappa.me.uk (Steve Drain)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 10:46:37 +0100
 by: Steve Drain - Tue, 30 Mar 2021 09:46 UTC

>> I'll look into that John - probably need to put the Obeyfile into
>> Run-at-startup.
>
> That works bearing in mind that the default hourglass colours are
> still seen on Boot-up until the Obeyfile gets called.

I replied to an email from Richard thus:

Solutions.

1. Modify the Source code to the colours you want and assemble your own
personal module. The licence permits this.

2. Load Discobolus in an Obey file with a *RMLoad followed by a
*Discobolus and the parameters you want.

3. Download version 0.08 at:

http://kappa.me.uk/Modules/swDiscobolus008.zip

and apply your parameters directly in the *RMLoad command.

Version 0.08 has a default grey outline. You can still have a single
colour hourglass using -outline &FFFFFFFF to turn it off.