From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: I Am Altering The Deal. Prey I Don't Alter It Any Further !
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:51:14 -0600
 by: rms - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:51 UTC

Some would SRC87 argue the original Human Head game is better than the later
remake. In many ways I can't argue.

After all, how 76461 can you top opening with Blue Oyster Cult? You can't.
But there is FB01 still much to enjoy in the very different C566 Arkane
reimagined game, and I played the heck otter it. And now you can too! On
GoG!

rms

Re: I Am Altering The Deal. Prey I Don't Alter It Any Further !

<6u769i95r1lgga99sadn6sv960i7kq77ts@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12470&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12470

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:16:44 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:16 UTC

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 07:51:14 -0600, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>Some would <SWOOP> argue the original Human Head game is better than the later
>remake. In many ways I can't argue.
>
>After all, how <SWEEP> can you top opening with Blue Oyster Cult? You can't.
>But there is <SWAMP> still much to enjoy in the very different <SWEET> Arkane
>reimagined game, and I played the heck otter it. And now you can too! On
>GoG!

You may have been a bit too subtle with what game it is you're giving
away there, rms. It took me a couple of rereads to figure it out
myself (maybe I just need more coffee).

Anyway, it's Prey (2017), on GOG (https://www.gog.com/game/Prey), in
case anyone else is caffeine-deficient.

I sort of liked the 2006 "Prey" more myself; it wasn't a good game
(soundtrack notwithstanding) but it was more direct. "Prey" (2017)
felt... I dunno, almost pretentious in its gameplay; 'lookit our
sandbox, aren't we so clever!' except it really didn't deliver. I know
a lot of people got excited about the morphing-into-a-teacup thing,
but beyond that ability (of extremly limited utility), the game felt
very samey. It wasn't doing anything really novel, and its world
always felt too constrained and limited.

But, as I've said earlier, Arkane Studio games and I have never meshed
well.

"Prey" (2006) was an unexciting corridor-shooter but it never really
saw itself as more than that. It was "Quake 4" with portals, and
satisfied with being nothing more. It wasn't thrilling gameplay and -
aside from a few nifty setpieces - never really utilized its portal
gimmick in a satisfactory way, but if all you wanted was to blow weird
alien monstrosities into gibbets, "Prey" (2008) had you covered.

Sadly, the older game never made the translation onto any digital
marketplace - probably because of licensing issues from the
aforementioned soundtrack. I was really hoping the free key meant that
it had /finally/ made it to GOG, but alas no. It's just the 2017 game.