"What I've done, of course, is total garbage." -- R. Willard, Pure Math 430a

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

SubjectAuthor
* Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
+* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
| `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|  +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Ian Whitmore
|  |`- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
|  +- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
|  `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|   +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Hughes
|   |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|   | +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|   | |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|   | | +- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Hughes
|   | | `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Richard Ashbery
|   | `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Adrian Crafer
|   `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
|    +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Hughes
|    |+* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Paul Stewart
|    ||`- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
|    |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
|    | `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Steve Fryatt
|    |  `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|    |   +- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Hughes
|    |   `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Steve Fryatt
|    |    `* Printing from RISC OS 5Dave
|    |     `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5charles
|    |      +- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Alan Dawes
|    |      `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Dave
|    |       +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5charles
|    |       |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Newman
|    |       | `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5charles
|    |       `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Chris Hughes
|    |        `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Dave
|    |         `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Alan Dawes
|    |          `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5druck
|    `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Richard Darby (news)
 +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
 |+- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
 | `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |  `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
 |   `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5David Higton
 |    `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |     +* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |     |+* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |     ||`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5David Higton
 |     || `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |     |`* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5druck
 |     | `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 |     `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5David Higton
 |      `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Theo
 +- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5stephen.hull
 `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Steve Fryatt
  `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
   `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Doug Webb
    `* Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Harriet Bazley
     `- Re: Printing from RISC OS 5Steve Fryatt

Pages:123
Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<dae396a759.Steve@btopenworld.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1228

From: stephen....@btinternet.com
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: Printing from RISC OS 5
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 13:35:31 GMT
 by: stephen....@btinternet.com - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:35 UTC

In message <1fe613a559.Paul@outlook.com>
Paul Stewart <narrowboat-paul@outlook.com> wrote:

>In message <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Problem with all-in-one inkjet printers for RISC OS is you will probably
>> only get the printing side working directly.
>
>In the past I have found that if the all in one device has a slot for a
>memory card, the card itself was accessible from RISC OS, assuming printer
>is connected via USB. You can then just scan to the memory card and then
>pickup from RISC OS.

There isn't a slot on mine though.

--

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<mpro.r5eabp02sr5lj03cy.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1229&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1229

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 14:16:43 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 14:16 UTC

On 3 Jan, "Richard Darby (news)" wrote in message
<59a527ac4dnews@rjdarby.co.uk>:

> About 15 years ago I needed a Printer definition for an HP DeskJet 920c
> and found that Jonathan Briggs had produced a number of Definition files
> for the 900 series printers and some others in around 2002. He was
> initially charging a nominal amount for these but I think he left the RISC
> OS scene around 2008 and made these printer definitions freely available.
>
> Unfortunately I have not been able to find them on the web, so if anyone
> knows where they can be obtained perhaps they could let us know.

The last link that I have for them is http://www.riscos-connect.org, which
is well and truly dead. They were announced on csa.announce in Mar 2008 as
being freely available to download.

The Wayback Machine gets to the page where they were listed for download,
but it doesn't seem to have archived the actual Zip files. So I suspect
that, unless they were included in another collection, they're lost forever.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<eb48cda759.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1232&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1232

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 23:29:39 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 23:29 UTC

In message <mpro.r5eabp02sr5lj03cy.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Jan, "Richard Darby (news)" wrote in message
> <59a527ac4dnews@rjdarby.co.uk>:

>> About 15 years ago I needed a Printer definition for an HP DeskJet 920c
>> and found that Jonathan Briggs had produced a number of Definition files
>> for the 900 series printers and some others in around 2002.

[snip]

> So I suspect
> that, unless they were included in another collection, they're lost forever.

Hi Steve,

You may not of seen that I do have a download of Jonathan's collection
drivers and Theo has indicated that as it is stated that Jonathan has
released them in to the public domain then we may be able to resurrect
availability but I am still nervous of making them available.

I have also said that he could install your excellent PrintPDF program and
make a PDf file of any document /photo and then email that file to the
Printers HP ePrint email address if it supports HP Web services/ePrint
etc.

I have tested this on a HP3637 all in one inkjet and also a HP 254DW laser
printer and both work.

It will also work with Jpeg's and Word documents as well.

Taking another angle that may help Stephen then I have tested out Rick
Murray's excellent SammyPrint inconjunction with David Pillings SPrinter
and got a result for the HP3637 inkjet which is IPP capable.

I think the HP Envy 4500 may also be IPP cable but Stephen will have to
confirm that if so he could:

Download SammyPrint from Rick Murray's HeyRick site and install it in
!Boot.Library

He should then download David Pillings SPrinter and install that as per
the instructions.

He can then print the document to the SPrinter and save the resultant jpeg
and then he can send it directly to the printer using something similar to
the commands below:

Start a task window:
*SammyPrint -colour -file "File location i.e "RAM::RamDisc0.$.myjepg/jpg"
NB the location needs to be enclosed in speech marks" -ip <printers Ip
address> -verbose

So whilst a bit more circumvent that just printing there are options.

RComp's Hermes also does DirectMail and it would be nice if there was a
application that looked at a predetermined directory and was able to use
DirectMail then to sedn the email to a HP ePrint or indeed any ePrint
device.

I hope this gives Stephen some options to be able to print out using only
RISC OS to his HP 4500 printer.

Doug

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<d72e03a859.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1233&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1233

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 09:18:22 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:18 UTC

In message <eb48cda759.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

[snip]

> He should then download David Pillings SPrinter and install that as per
> the instructions.

> He can then print the document to the SPrinter and save the resultant jpeg

Sorry forgot to say SPrinter produces a Sprite and you drop that Sprite on
to ChangeFSI , which is set up to convert to JPEG, and save that resultant
jpeg.

I have tried this printing out a document using Ovation.

> and then he can send it directly to the printer using something similar to
> the commands below:

> Start a task window:
> *SammyPrint -colour -file "File location i.e "RAM::RamDisc0.$.myjepg/jpg"
> NB the location needs to be enclosed in speech marks" -ip <printers Ip
> address> -verbose

If you start Edit and Create an Obey file then you could semi automate the
process.

i.e type the following in Edit:

*ChangeFSI RAM::RamDisc0.$.Sprite RAM::RamDisc0.Jpeg/jpg JPEG 100
*SammyPrint -colour -file "Ram::RamDisc0.$.Jpeg/jpg" -ip "xxx.xxx.x.xxx
where this is the printers Ip address" -verbose

Save the file as say "SammyPrint" to your harddisc and pin it to your
Pinboard.

You now have a means to automate the sending of a file to the printer and
this is a one off step.

Make sure ChangeFSI has been seen by the filer.

To print you make sure you have select sprinter in !Printers and then
print out from your application, in my case Ovation.

Save the Sprite file to RAMDisc.

Double click on the Obey File or it's Pinboard shortcut and then press
space when finished.

I am sure other will make better suggestions but it is merely an example
of what to do.

For the record the best output I have got is by using PrintPDF and saving
the resultant PDF and then emailing it to the printers email address as
previoulsy highlighted.

Hope that this helps.

Doug
--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1234&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1234

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:25:54 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 10:25 UTC

On 8 Jan, stephen.hull@btinternet.com wrote in message
<0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com>:

[Please snip your quoted text appropriately!]

> I think Andrew from Rcomp is back from his Christmas holidays on Monday so
> I'll ask him if he is aware of a solution for me on my setup. I was hoping
> to use the Raspberry Pi to print from but looks like I'll have to stick
> with VirtualAcorn on the lapop for main printing,

Why? As others have said, UniPrint will work fine on modern RISC OS 5
systems, so long as you have a current version of it.

> I've no idea how to get Uniprint to work from the Pi perhaps Andrew can
> help with that but I didn't purchase the Pi from him so he might be
> reluctant to help.

It would be a little disturbing if a software supplier were to base support
for their software on the source of the hardware that you were using.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<62e10ca859.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1235&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1235

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 11:04:17 GMT
 by: Harriet Bazley - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 11:04 UTC

On 9 Jan 2022 as I do recall,
Doug Webb wrote:

> In message <eb48cda759.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
> Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> > He can then print the document to the SPrinter and save the resultant jpeg
>
> Sorry forgot to say SPrinter produces a Sprite and you drop that Sprite on
> to ChangeFSI , which is set up to convert to JPEG, and save that resultant
> jpeg.

Surely printing a document as a JPEG would result in pixelation and
inevitable loss of quality? (Like those text adverts you see in
magazines which have clearly been produced from a very lossy image
indeed.)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Anything can happen in the next half-hour....

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<mpro.r5g2qi02gkhj002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1236&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1236

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:27:59 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:27 UTC

On 9 Jan, Harriet Bazley wrote in message
<62e10ca859.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>:

> Surely printing a document as a JPEG would result in pixelation and
> inevitable loss of quality? (Like those text adverts you see in
> magazines which have clearly been produced from a very lossy image
> indeed.)

Only if you print to a lower resolution than the printer can handle. I
routinely use JPEGs, at 300dpi to match the final process, as a base source
for professional printing -- with no visible quality issues.

Using a lossless format might be nice, but ArtWorks doesn't handle that idea
well: there's a limitation to the size of sprites, which quickly bites at
300dpi, and it doesn't import other formats.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1237&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1237

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 17:53:11 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Chris Newman - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 17:53 UTC

In article <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
<news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 8 Jan, stephen.hull@btinternet.com wrote in message
> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com>:

> [Please snip your quoted text appropriately!]

> > I think Andrew from Rcomp is back from his Christmas holidays on
> > Monday so I'll ask him if he is aware of a solution for me on my
> > setup. I was hoping to use the Raspberry Pi to print from but looks
> > like I'll have to stick with VirtualAcorn on the lapop for main
> > printing,

> Why? As others have said, UniPrint will work fine on modern RISC OS 5
> systems, so long as you have a current version of it.

Tat is not entirely true. There are several people who have reported on
various RISCOS fora that they cannot get UniPrint to work on W10 (Me
being one of them) and there seems to be no logic to whether it works for
you or not.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<049747a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1239&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1239

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 21:45:33 GMT
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:45 UTC

In message <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>, Steve Fryatt
> <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 8 Jan, stephen.hull@btinternet.com wrote in message
>> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com>:

>> [Please snip your quoted text appropriately!]

>>> I think Andrew from Rcomp is back from his Christmas holidays on
>>> Monday so I'll ask him if he is aware of a solution for me on my
>>> setup. I was hoping to use the Raspberry Pi to print from but looks
>>> like I'll have to stick with VirtualAcorn on the lapop for main
>>> printing,

>> Why? As others have said, UniPrint will work fine on modern RISC OS 5
>> systems, so long as you have a current version of it.

> Tat is not entirely true. There are several people who have reported on
> various RISCOS fora that they cannot get UniPrint to work on W10 (Me
> being one of them) and there seems to be no logic to whether it works for
> you or not.

I repeat it has always worked for me on RISC OS 5 and Win10.
If I can help resolve your issue I will be happy to assist.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1240&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1240

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:38:19 +0000
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:38 UTC

On 9 Jan, Chris Newman wrote in message
<59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> Tat is not entirely true. There are several people who have reported on
> various RISCOS fora that they cannot get UniPrint to work on W10 (Me being
> one of them) and there seems to be no logic to whether it works for you or
> not.

But that's not a RISC OS 5 problem, though. The OP was concerned that
UniPrint would stop working on the Pi, not that it would stop working with
Win 10.

If UniPrint works with the OP's Windows set-up, I'm not aware of any reason
why it would be any different on that same setup with a RISC OS 5 box
compared to a RISC OS 3, 4 or Six box?

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1241&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1241

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Printing from RISC OS 5
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:18:56 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
 by: Dave - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 08:18 UTC

In article <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 9 Jan, Chris Newman wrote in message
> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> > Tat is not entirely true. There are several people who have reported
> > on various RISCOS fora that they cannot get UniPrint to work on W10
> > (Me being one of them) and there seems to be no logic to whether it
> > works for you or not.

> But that's not a RISC OS 5 problem, though. The OP was concerned that
> UniPrint would stop working on the Pi, not that it would stop working
> with Win 10.

> If UniPrint works with the OP's Windows set-up, I'm not aware of any
> reason why it would be any different on that same setup with a RISC OS 5
> box compared to a RISC OS 3, 4 or Six box?

Mmnn.. The problem I found in the past and still do with Uniprint is the
unreliability of service.

Yesterday RPCemu and RISC OS 5.28, no problem printing over the LAN to the
Epson Expression XP-760.

Today not one print will pass from RISC OS to the Epson.
I've not changed anything...

LAN is active.
IP scanner shows it is the correct address for the printer
UniPrint driver is active... As it was yesterday.
The Epson Printer can be pinged.
The Epson is selected in the UniPrint Hosts config window.
Win side, The Epson is selected in the UniServer.exe Properties, Printer
tab.

RISC OS will not print to it.

Same with the RPCEmu RISC OS 6.20 install.
Uniserver will not Print to the Epson.

Go Windows side and send a document to the Epson over the LAN and it, as
per usual prints okay.

Rebooting either the RISC OS installs or even the Win computer doesn't
sort the problem.

This unreliability causes one to say (Some expletive) and just forget
about UniPrint as a printing tool and just take everything Win side for
printing.

Dave

UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
another day it moans and fails all the time.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1242&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1242

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:32:35 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>
 by: charles - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:32 UTC

In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
> Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 9 Jan, Chris Newman wrote in message
> > <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>:

> > > Tat is not entirely true. There are several people who have reported
> > > on various RISCOS fora that they cannot get UniPrint to work on W10
> > > (Me being one of them) and there seems to be no logic to whether it
> > > works for you or not.

> > But that's not a RISC OS 5 problem, though. The OP was concerned that
> > UniPrint would stop working on the Pi, not that it would stop working
> > with Win 10.

> > If UniPrint works with the OP's Windows set-up, I'm not aware of any
> > reason why it would be any different on that same setup with a RISC OS 5
> > box compared to a RISC OS 3, 4 or Six box?

> Mmnn.. The problem I found in the past and still do with Uniprint is the
> unreliability of service.

> Yesterday RPCemu and RISC OS 5.28, no problem printing over the LAN to the
> Epson Expression XP-760.

> Today not one print will pass from RISC OS to the Epson.
> I've not changed anything...

> LAN is active.
> IP scanner shows it is the correct address for the printer
> UniPrint driver is active... As it was yesterday.
> The Epson Printer can be pinged.
> The Epson is selected in the UniPrint Hosts config window.
> Win side, The Epson is selected in the UniServer.exe Properties, Printer
> tab.

> RISC OS will not print to it.

> Same with the RPCEmu RISC OS 6.20 install.
> Uniserver will not Print to the Epson.

> Go Windows side and send a document to the Epson over the LAN and it, as
> per usual prints okay.

> Rebooting either the RISC OS installs or even the Win computer doesn't
> sort the problem.

> This unreliability causes one to say (Some expletive) and just forget
> about UniPrint as a printing tool and just take everything Win side for
> printing.

> Dave

> UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
> another day it moans and fails all the time.

> D.

Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows machine?
If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not be allocated the
same address as before. That has certainly happened to me.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8902d58alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1243&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1243

From: alan.da...@argonet.co.uk (Alan Dawes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:58:27 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>
 by: Alan Dawes - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:58 UTC

In article <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>,
charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> > In article <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
> > Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> > > But that's not a RISC OS 5 problem, though. The OP was concerned
> > > that UniPrint would stop working on the Pi, not that it would stop
> > > working with Win 10.

> > > If UniPrint works with the OP's Windows set-up, I'm not aware of any
> > > reason why it would be any different on that same setup with a RISC
> > > OS 5 box compared to a RISC OS 3, 4 or Six box?

> > Mmnn.. The problem I found in the past and still do with Uniprint is
> > the unreliability of service.

> > Yesterday RPCemu and RISC OS 5.28, no problem printing over the LAN to
> > the Epson Expression XP-760.

> > Today not one print will pass from RISC OS to the Epson. I've not
> > changed anything...

> > LAN is active. IP scanner shows it is the correct address for the
> > printer UniPrint driver is active... As it was yesterday. The Epson
> > Printer can be pinged. The Epson is selected in the UniPrint Hosts
> > config window. Win side, The Epson is selected in the UniServer.exe
> > Properties, Printer tab.

> > RISC OS will not print to it.

> > Same with the RPCEmu RISC OS 6.20 install.
> > Uniserver will not Print to the Epson.

> > Go Windows side and send a document to the Epson over the LAN and it,
> > as per usual prints okay.

> > Rebooting either the RISC OS installs or even the Win computer doesn't
> > sort the problem.

> > This unreliability causes one to say (Some expletive) and just forget
> > about UniPrint as a printing tool and just take everything Win side for
> > printing.

> > Dave

> > UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
> > another day it moans and fails all the time.

> > D.

> Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows machine?
> If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not be allocated
> the same address as before. That has certainly happened to me.

SNAP! Years ago I had the same problem which was solved by configuring the
router to give fixed addresses to all our computers.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1245&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1245

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:46:55 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>
 by: Dave - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:46 UTC

In article <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>,
charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> > UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
> > another day it moans and fails all the time.

> > D.

> Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows machine?
> If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not be allocated
> the same address as before. That has certainly happened to me.

All the computers in this house are connected to the LAN and all have
reserved/fixed addresses in the router.

While today Uniprint won't connect, there's no problem with UniLaunch
sending things Windows side.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8a27bbccharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1246&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1246

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:18:21 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>
 by: charles - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:18 UTC

In article <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>,
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>,
> > Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > > UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
> > > another day it moans and fails all the time.

> > > D.

> > Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows machine?
> > If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not be allocated
> > the same address as before. That has certainly happened to me.

> All the computers in this house are connected to the LAN and all have
> reserved/fixed addresses in the router.

> While today Uniprint won't connect, there's no problem with UniLaunch
> sending things Windows side.

That happened to me in October - but it had cured itself by December.

A workround: Print to pdf on RISC OS, and view the pdf on Windows - then
print. (but, you've probably worked that out for yourself)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8a8d165cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1247&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1247

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:27:32 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a8a27bbccharles@candehope.me.uk>
 by: Chris Newman - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:27 UTC

In article <59a8a27bbccharles@candehope.me.uk>, charles
<charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> In article <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > In article <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>, charles
> > <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > > In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave
> > > <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > [Snip]

> > > Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows
> > > machine? If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not
> > > be allocated the same address as before. That has certainly
> > > happened to me.

> > All the computers in this house are connected to the LAN and all have
> > reserved/fixed addresses in the router.

> > While today Uniprint won't connect, there's no problem with UniLaunch
> > sending things Windows side.

> That happened to me in October - but it had cured itself by December.

To be fair, Microsoft has many, many software engineers who can keep
changing (messing up) Windows ad infinitum while we have one (Alan
Wrigley, I think) to try and play catch up.

--
Chris Newman

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8aa9cf3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1248&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1248

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:47:10 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a8a27bbccharles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8a8d165cvjazz@waitrose.com>
 by: charles - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 15:47 UTC

In article <59a8a8d165cvjazz@waitrose.com>,
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:
> In article <59a8a27bbccharles@candehope.me.uk>, charles
> <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
> > In article <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>, Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> > > [Snip]

> > > All the computers in this house are connected to the LAN and all have
> > > reserved/fixed addresses in the router.

> > > While today Uniprint won't connect, there's no problem with UniLaunch
> > > sending things Windows side.

> > That happened to me in October - but it had cured itself by December.

> To be fair, Microsoft has many, many software engineers who can keep
> changing (messing up) Windows ad infinitum while we have one (Alan
> Wrigley, I think) to try and play catch up.

My feelings entirely

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1249&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1249

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:09:37 GMT
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>
 by: Chris Hughes - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:09 UTC

In message <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk>
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>,
> charles <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote:
>> In article <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk>,
>> Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> [Snip]

>>> UniLaunch has the same bad manners, one day it'll work perfectly okay,
>>> another day it moans and fails all the time.

>>> D.

>> Has UniPrint/UniControl got the correct address for the Windows machine?
>> If you turn the Windows machine off at night, it might not be allocated
>> the same address as before. That has certainly happened to me.

> All the computers in this house are connected to the LAN and all have
> reserved/fixed addresses in the router.

yes if your PC or RISC OS machine changed IP address you could have
issues.

> While today Uniprint won't connect, there's no problem with UniLaunch
> sending things Windows side.

Do check your Windows Firewall or Internet security suite firewall is
actually configure to let Uniprint through.

Oh do remember that Microsoft have been spending the last few months
trying to fix the windows printing system patches they messed up, don't
think its fully fixed yet! IIRC if it printed to the printer using
Postscript it was fine but using say a PCL driver, it was not always
working. I think that put of issue now fixed.

The printing subsystem on Windows is a mess and has been for quite a few
years.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a8bc0e71dave@triffid.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1250&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1250

From: dav...@triffid.co.uk (Dave)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:57:40 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk> <ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
 by: Dave - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 18:57 UTC

In article <ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]

> Do check your Windows Firewall or Internet security suite firewall is
> actually configure to let Uniprint through.

> Oh do remember that Microsoft have been spending the last few months
> trying to fix the windows printing system patches they messed up, don't
> think its fully fixed yet! IIRC if it printed to the printer using
> Postscript it was fine but using say a PCL driver, it was not always
> working. I think that put of issue now fixed.

> The printing subsystem on Windows is a mess and has been for quite a few
> years.

Yesterday it worked okay, so obviously the firewall was allowing it.

Early today, and later in the morning when I tried again it did not work...

This evening I've just printed out of RISC OS 5.28 through Uniprint to the
Epson okay. (Exactly the same file I was using earlier).

And Unilaunch is also working.

I have not changed anything.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<ABe*xI1Dy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1251&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1251

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: 11 Jan 2022 10:56:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 10:56 UTC

Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> It is a pity that we have no modern updates.
>
> Some of the higher priced HP inkjets all in ones going back 3 or 4 years
> ago, like the HP 5520/B110, had the ability to use PCL6/Postscript like
> the Laserjets but they seem to have dropped that from their range and even
> some laserjets they sell have dropped it.
>
> I guess it comes back to costs.

I think a modern approach would be to implement something like Apple
AirPrint. Because printing from an iPhone or iPad is such a big thing, a
lot of modern printers support it. Since the printer just accepts a bitmap
('Apple Raster' or 'PWG raster' formats) there's no need for drivers,
although printers can optionally support PDF or Postscript in the usual way.
It also does plug and play detection using multicast DNS aka Bonjour
(which also meshes nicely with the lack of drivers) - when printing you just
select which printer from a list of what's on your network, and printing
starts - nothing to configure or install.

It won't help with legacy Winprinters like the Dell in the other thread, but
many printers from the last 10 years should support it.

Theo

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<42c615a959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1252&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1252

From: doug.j.w...@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:17:38 GMT
 by: Doug Webb - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:17 UTC

In message <ABe*xI1Dy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I think a modern approach would be to implement something like Apple
> AirPrint. Because printing from an iPhone or iPad is such a big thing, a
> lot of modern printers support it. Since the printer just accepts a bitmap
> ('Apple Raster' or 'PWG raster' formats) there's no need for drivers,
> although printers can optionally support PDF or Postscript in the usual way.

Agree and thats why Rick Murray's SammyPrint and the work that Dave Higton
is doing on IPP plus the work on Ghostscript/IPPTool/MuTool etc that Chris
Gransden amongst others is doing really is the way to go and makes sure
most printers will then be available again.

There really does seem to be a lot of things coming forward to make using
RISC OS even easier to use.
--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<59a91605cfalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1253&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1253

From: alan.da...@argonet.co.uk (Alan Dawes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:20:21 +0000 (GMT)
References: <7ae827a459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a477991acvjazz@waitrose.com> <55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com> <59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com> <d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com> <mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com> <mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk> <59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk> <59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk> <ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <59a8bc0e71dave@triffid.co.uk>
 by: Alan Dawes - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 11:20 UTC

In article <59a8bc0e71dave@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <dave@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> [Snippy]

> > Do check your Windows Firewall or Internet security suite firewall is
> > actually configure to let Uniprint through.

> > Oh do remember that Microsoft have been spending the last few months
> > trying to fix the windows printing system patches they messed up,
> > don't think its fully fixed yet! IIRC if it printed to the printer
> > using Postscript it was fine but using say a PCL driver, it was not
> > always working. I think that put of issue now fixed.

> > The printing subsystem on Windows is a mess and has been for quite a
> > few years.

> Yesterday it worked okay, so obviously the firewall was allowing it.

> Early today, and later in the morning when I tried again it did not
> work...

> This evening I've just printed out of RISC OS 5.28 through Uniprint to
> the Epson okay. (Exactly the same file I was using earlier).

> And Unilaunch is also working.

> I have not changed anything.

> Dave

Is your antivirus software set to automatically update itself? Some years
ago I stupidly installed a free trial of Mcafee on my PC which coincided
with intermittant problems connecting to my RiscPC. Removing Mcafee (it
was difficult to remove it completely!) solved the problem - I concluded
that there were bugs in the regular virus updates which were then
corrected with the next one! I've not had the same problem with AVG.

Alan

--
alan.dawes@argonet.co.uk
alan.dawes@riscos.org

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<d33249a959.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1254&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1254

From: dav...@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:39:19 GMT
 by: David Higton - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 20:39 UTC

In message <42c615a959.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <ABe*xI1Dy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > I think a modern approach would be to implement something like Apple
> > AirPrint. Because printing from an iPhone or iPad is such a big thing, a
> > lot of modern printers support it. Since the printer just accepts a
> > bitmap ('Apple Raster' or 'PWG raster' formats) there's no need for
> > drivers, although printers can optionally support PDF or Postscript in
> > the usual way.

Can you confirm that AirPrint does indeed use UniRaster; print to file
would have "UNIRAST\0" inthe first 8 bytes?

> Agree and thats why Rick Murray's SammyPrint and the work that Dave Higton
> is doing on IPP plus the work on Ghostscript/IPPTool/MuTool etc that Chris
> Gransden amongst others is doing really is the way to go and makes sure
> most printers will then be available again.

I've just rendered a sprite from a Uniraster file too.

> There really does seem to be a lot of things coming forward to make using
> RISC OS even easier to use.

Let's hope :-)

David

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<srksd9$3vb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1255&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1255

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:21:42 +0000
<55538aa459.Steve@btopenworld.com> <59a48c4502cvjazz@waitrose.com>
<59a5002dcccvjazz@waitrose.com> <603d05a559.Steve@btopenworld.com>
<d8b406a559.chris@mytarbis.plus.com> <0ea896a759.Steve@btopenworld.com>
<mpro.r5fub100rr1hg02ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
<59a83250c0cvjazz@waitrose.com>
<mpro.r5gs7p05sn32002ro.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
<59a8819418dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a888518echarles@candehope.me.uk>
<59a8949ea3dave@triffid.co.uk> <ab29b2a859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
<59a8bc0e71dave@triffid.co.uk> <59a91605cfalan.dawes@argonet.co.uk>
 by: druck - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 21:21 UTC

On 11/01/2022 11:20, Alan Dawes wrote:
> Is your antivirus software set to automatically update itself? Some years
> ago I stupidly installed a free trial of Mcafee on my PC which coincided
> with intermittant problems connecting to my RiscPC. Removing Mcafee (it
> was difficult to remove it completely!) solved the problem - I concluded
> that there were bugs in the regular virus updates which were then
> corrected with the next one! I've not had the same problem with AVG.

Just a word of caution, AVG which was bought by Avast which was bought
by Norton, who along with another of their purchases Avira have recently
introduced cypto mining software into their anti-virus products, and
Avast & AVG will probably be next.

Yes, I would not believe it if I read that here either, but apparently
this insanity is real.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/10/avira_ethereum/?td=keepreading-top

---druck

Re: Printing from RISC OS 5

<zBe*tt8Dy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1257&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#1257

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: 12 Jan 2022 17:43:41 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 17:43 UTC

David Higton <dave@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:
> Can you confirm that AirPrint does indeed use UniRaster; print to file
> would have "UNIRAST\0" inthe first 8 bytes?

I'm not sure how I find out - my iPhone won't print to file, only to
something that advertises itself as a printer (the only thing I have being
an actual printer). On MacOS there's CUPS in the way - you can print to
PDF, which is presumably the input format to CUPS, but I'm not sure how to
print to file of the output destined for a specific printer. The spool file
(/var/spool/cups/dNNNNNN-NNN) is a PDF.

Have you tried sending a Unirast file to an Airprint printer?

Theo