Linux: the choice of a GNU generation -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

SubjectAuthor
* FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Dimensional Traveler
|`- Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Justisaur
+- Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Ant
`* Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Ross Ridge
 `- Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"Spalls Hurgenson

1
FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<umm89iddmt6iipbeaqbhb7qm62tlfp9gpt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12488&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12488

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:00:08 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:00 UTC

I gotta say; I'm feelin' the pressure here, people. It used to be that
- when it came to announcing the free games - I only had to worry
about Ant, but now it seems everyone's throwing their hat into the
ring. So when it comes to announcing the Epic freebies, I know I gotta
be top of my game. You all ain't takin' down the champ that easy! ;-)

This week we get:

* The Hunter: Call of the Wild
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thehunter-call-of-the-wild
This is a duplicate (first offered free by Epic back in November
2021). Not a bad game, "TheHunter" is really showing its age these
days and the developers have become too enamored with the lure of DLC.
Still, it offers some nice landscapes and the hunting mechanics aren't
too bad (or, just do like I do and ignore the hunting and take a nice
virtual nature walk ;-). Note: there's a free cosmetic DLC pack too
under the add-ons tab

* Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms
Another dupe (first offered April 2021); Epic's cheaping out on us
again. Hopefully this is a sign that there is a major free release in
the new future. The game itself isn't worth acquiring; buggy, boring,
butt-ugly, it is a vehicle designed to push DLC sales. What a waste of
the license.

Oh yeah, you see that? Bing-bang-boom! I still got it! Tossin'
freebies like they're nothing. I could do this all day... but I'm
gonna have to wait seven days before the next Epic give-away.

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<u71pv9$3benv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12491&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12491

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:39:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:39 UTC

On 6/22/2023 8:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> I gotta say; I'm feelin' the pressure here, people. It used to be that
> - when it came to announcing the free games - I only had to worry
> about Ant, but now it seems everyone's throwing their hat into the
> ring.

If it makes you feel any better you don't need to worry about me doing
that. My hat costs too much and I like it too much to just throw it
away at strangers.

dirty old man.

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<qrq89ipjalg7jhuo41684ntdvadn486l5s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12492&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12492

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:42:27 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 15:42 UTC

On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 08:39:23 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 6/22/2023 8:00 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> I gotta say; I'm feelin' the pressure here, people. It used to be that
>> - when it came to announcing the free games - I only had to worry
>> about Ant, but now it seems everyone's throwing their hat into the
>> ring.

>If it makes you feel any better you don't need to worry about me doing
>that. My hat costs too much and I like it too much to just throw it
>away at strangers.

I salute your frugality and sloth. Were more people to take after you,
I'd not have to rush out these announcements. ;-)

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<51a6285d-56f9-48fd-ad0c-b5be4857df4dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12496&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12496

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:02:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 20:02 UTC

On Thursday, June 22, 2023 at 8:00:20 AM UTC-7, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> I gotta say; I'm feelin' the pressure here, people. It used to be that
> - when it came to announcing the free games - I only had to worry
> about Ant, but now it seems everyone's throwing their hat into the
> ring. So when it comes to announcing the Epic freebies, I know I gotta
> be top of my game. You all ain't takin' down the champ that easy! ;-)
>
> This week we get:
>
> * The Hunter: Call of the Wild
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/thehunter-call-of-the-wild
> This is a duplicate (first offered free by Epic back in November
> 2021). Not a bad game, "TheHunter" is really showing its age these
> days and the developers have become too enamored with the lure of DLC.
> Still, it offers some nice landscapes and the hunting mechanics aren't
> too bad (or, just do like I do and ignore the hunting and take a nice
> virtual nature walk ;-). Note: there's a free cosmetic DLC pack too
> under the add-ons tab
>
> * Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
> https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms
> Another dupe (first offered April 2021); Epic's cheaping out on us
> again. Hopefully this is a sign that there is a major free release in
> the new future. The game itself isn't worth acquiring; buggy, boring,
> butt-ugly, it is a vehicle designed to push DLC sales. What a waste of
> the license.

You left out microtransactions to progress much. Horrible excuse for a
game with the D&D label, I might actually label it the worst of all D&D
video games. Avoid at all costs.

I already had both of course.

- Justisaur

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<7dadnWKTBcvxpQj5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12499&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12499

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 06:15:08 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 06:15 UTC

I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too busy with life these days! :( Like I said, don't
wait for me! Just post. See who can post first! ;) Anyways, these games.
Meh. I already have The Hunter even though I didn't like it. Idle
Champions of the Forgotten Realms didn't get good ratings so I skipped
it.

--
"Ill-gotten treasures are of no value, but righteousness delivers from death." --Proverbs 10:2. RIP 2 Titanic's & Titan submersible's peep.
| |o o| |

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<u74s2g$3qchm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12514&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12514

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:33:36 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:33 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>* Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms
>Another dupe (first offered April 2021); Epic's cheaping out on us
>again. Hopefully this is a sign that there is a major free release in
>the new future. The game itself isn't worth acquiring; buggy, boring,
>butt-ugly, it is a vehicle designed to push DLC sales. What a waste of
>the license.

Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is free-to-play all the time,
so they're not giving away the game itself for free this week, but a
DLC bundle. To get the bundle you need to launch the game once this
week and the stuff will be added to your account.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: FREE GAME: "TheHunter" & "Idle Champions"

<2q0e9ip9np0dqssgrbvec85pjsmjbm8b3e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12521&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12521

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 10:56:03 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:33:36 -0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:
>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>* Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms
>>https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/idle-champions-of-the-forgotten-realms

>Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is free-to-play all the time,
>so they're not giving away the game itself for free this week, but a
>DLC bundle. To get the bundle you need to launch the game once this
>week and the stuff will be added to your account.

Well, I don't see that happening. ;-)

Anyway, regardless of its usual status, it's the core game that is
advertised by Epic as being the freebie on offer this week.

There's also a free DLC - which may or may not be the same as the one
mentionedabove - called "Bardic Inspirations v1.5" that you can add
through the add-ons tab on the game's store page on the Epic Game
Client.

But even that is too much effort for such a crappy game..