From: Dav...@nomail.invalid (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: The Right to Repair
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:33:04 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:33 UTC

Hi folks! :-D

Have a listen to Steve Wozniak on the subject of repairs!
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN1djPMooVY&t=0

I've opened up a 24 inch iMac and replaced the hard drive. Not a job for
the faint-hearted! 😅

What do YOU fix?

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: The Right to Repair

<eVHII.7032$qL.2583@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12514&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12514

Subject: Re: The Right to Repair
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.system
From: jfmezei....@vaxination.ca (JF Mezei)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:25:29 -0400
 by: JF Mezei - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 21:25 UTC

On 2021-07-17 06:33, David Brooks wrote:

> What do YOU fix?

Changed home button on my 4 (and I think Camera)
Changed home button and some of the ribbon cables at the deepest level
(requiring total disassembly like iFixit) on my 5s, changed camera and
screen on 6s (but kept home button).

Changed power supply on 2009 mac pro ( required fair amoujt of
diassembly due to position of connectors).

Changed the CPU on my 2013 trash can. Required almost total disassembly
to reach the cpu nestled behind motherboard against heat sink).

Changed battery and disk on my laptop.

The one aspect about right to repair is the TouchID system. Encrypting
o data by the button itself means the CPU can't use the data and only
pass it onto secure enclave which is the only thing that has the keys to
decrypt. When you have a need to protect citizens from their
government, such measures are needed. Sad, but that is the case with
power-hungry police/intel agencies who want power to peek into anyone
iPhoen.

The downsize of this is that you need to pair each individual button
with each indiidual secure enclave. If you let anyone do this, then the
protection is moot since anymore can introduce a modified button that
allows "man in middle" attacks. So when only Apple can do the pairing,
this does add some security. (but that assumes the 2 letter agencies
like CIA, NSA, NSO don't have the ability to pair a button to secure
enclave).

The other aspect, and this is diue to Samsung,s BBQ starter phones, is
that the manufacturers have become very weary of liability that their
phones can cause if the batteries start a fire, so I can understand (but
not agree) on ensuring battery are only touched by experienced people.

On the other hand, if you design the phone poperly in first place, it
become easy to replace battery in a safe way.

Re: The Right to Repair

<scvpeh$gig$2@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12515&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12515

From: Dav...@nomail.invalid (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 00:34:41 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 23:34 UTC

On 17/07/2021 22:25, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2021-07-17 06:33, David Brooks wrote:
>
>> What do YOU fix?
>
> Changed home button on my 4 (and I think Camera)
> Changed home button and some of the ribbon cables at the deepest level
> (requiring total disassembly like iFixit) on my 5s, changed camera and
> screen on 6s (but kept home button).
>
> Changed power supply on 2009 mac pro ( required fair amoujt of
> diassembly due to position of connectors).
>
> Changed the CPU on my 2013 trash can. Required almost total disassembly
> to reach the cpu nestled behind motherboard against heat sink).
>
> Changed battery and disk on my laptop.

WOW! I've never worked on an iPhone. You must have nimble fingers!

> The one aspect about right to repair is the TouchID system. Encrypting
> o data by the button itself means the CPU can't use the data and only
> pass it onto secure enclave which is the only thing that has the keys to
> decrypt. When you have a need to protect citizens from their
> government, such measures are needed. Sad, but that is the case with
> power-hungry police/intel agencies who want power to peek into anyone
> iPhoen.
>
> The downsize of this is that you need to pair each individual button
> with each indiidual secure enclave. If you let anyone do this, then the
> protection is moot since anymore can introduce a modified button that
> allows "man in middle" attacks. So when only Apple can do the pairing,
> this does add some security. (but that assumes the 2 letter agencies
> like CIA, NSA, NSO don't have the ability to pair a button to secure
> enclave).
>
> The other aspect, and this is diue to Samsung,s BBQ starter phones, is
> that the manufacturers have become very weary of liability that their
> phones can cause if the batteries start a fire, so I can understand (but
> not agree) on ensuring battery are only touched by experienced people.
>
> On the other hand, if you design the phone poperly in first place, it
> become easy to replace battery in a safe way.

Thank you for sharing with us, John! :-D

Re: The Right to Repair

<c3cf361d-909b-4d10-91d7-b2ef02e85786n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12620&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12620

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 20:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: santos.p...@gmail.com (Alex Santos)
 by: Alex Santos - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 03:33 UTC

Baked the GPU card. iMac 27 2011

Works again.

One hell of a job. Apple had no more parts.