"Here comes Mr. Bill's dog." -- Narrator, Saturday Night Live

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

SubjectAuthor
* Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesSnit
+* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesYour Name
|`- Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesSnit
+- Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesDavid Brooks
+* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesLewis
|`* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesTimS
| `- Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesnospam
+* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesSnit
|`* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesYour Name
| `- Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesSnit
`* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiessuper70s
 `* Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiesRocketSurgeon
  `- Re: Apple's new online store: scroll odditiessuper70s

1
Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12609&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12609

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 05:44:02 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 05:44 UTC

Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
cache. No luck.

It works fine in Chrome.

I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.

Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
very odd thing about my system).

Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.

https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<sedegv$j1f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12610&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12610

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 19:10:23 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:10 UTC

On 2021-08-04 05:44:02 +0000, Snit said:

> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

Works fine for me in High Sierra and Safari 13.1.2, using a cheap
Logitech USB mouse (with no extra Logitech / third party drivers).

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<sedf18$j69$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12611&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12611

From: Dav...@no.mail.invalid (David Brooks)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:19:04 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 07:19 UTC

On 04/08/2021 06:44, Snit wrote:
> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

I've been here, Snit https://www.apple.com/uk/store

The scrolling works just fine.

What link to Apple did YOU use?

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<slrnsgkqdj.eo1.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12612&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12612

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:19:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 10:19 UTC

In message <COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.

Scrolling works in Safari, but only if your cursor is in a "scroll"
area. Where this area is is a mystery as there is no visual indicator of
what can and cannot scroll.

> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.

It's not a bug it's a "feature". An idiotic feature, but it is obvious
they intended this abomination.

--
Nothing like grilling a kosher dog over human hair to bring out the
subtle flavors.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<3cwOI.579$6p.428@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12613&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12613

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: Brock.Mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 13:00:47 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 13:00 UTC

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2021-08-04 05:44:02 +0000, Snit said:
>>
>> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>>
>> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
>> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
>> cache. No luck.
>>
>> It works fine in Chrome.
>>
>> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
>> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
>> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>>
>> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
>> very odd thing about my system).
>>
>> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
>> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4
>
> Works fine for me in High Sierra and Safari 13.1.2, using a cheap
> Logitech USB mouse (with no extra Logitech / third party drivers).

Thanks. Odd it does not work for me.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<imvhu9FrfeiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12614&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12614

From: timstrea...@greenbee.net (TimS)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: 4 Aug 2021 13:10:33 GMT
 by: TimS - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 13:10 UTC

On 04 Aug 2021 at 11:19:31 BST, Lewis <g.kreme@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> In message <COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad> Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
>> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
>> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
>> cache. No luck.
>
> Scrolling works in Safari, but only if your cursor is in a "scroll"
> area. Where this area is is a mystery as there is no visual indicator of
> what can and cannot scroll.

Just tried it. You can't scroll at all in the giant "buttons". I set
Scollbars: Always in Prefs->General so one can at least put the mouse in the
scroll bar and scroll there.

>> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
>> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> It's not a bug it's a "feature". An idiotic feature, but it is obvious
> they intended this abomination.

Tog would turn in his grave to see all this modern UI bollocks. Dark Mode is
another PoS.

--
Tim

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<040820211034093205%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12615&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12615

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:34:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 14:34 UTC

In article <imvhu9FrfeiU1@mid.individual.net>, TimS
<timstreater@greenbee.net> wrote:

> > It's not a bug it's a "feature". An idiotic feature, but it is obvious
> > they intended this abomination.
>
> Tog would turn in his grave to see all this modern UI bollocks.

tog is still alive and can see it.

> Dark Mode is
> another PoS.

yep

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<nuDOI.25$wO4.18@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12617&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12617

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 21:18:11 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 21:18 UTC

On Aug 3, 2021 at 10:44:02 PM MST, "Snit" wrote <COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad>:

> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

Update: sorta got it figured out. Order is all wrong here, and likely
forgetting some, but what I tried:

* Took away my custom CSS. No change. Nor would I expect that because does
same in Safari Tech Preview.
* Rebooted into safemode. No change.
* Uninstalled the third party mouse driver. No change.
* Tried a different user account. No change.
* Tried an Apple mouse. WORKS!
* Tried a different third party mouse. Did not work.
* Tried a different system with a third party mouse. DID NOT WORK!

Aha. Seems there is something odd with this combo:

* https://www.apple.com/store (and https://www.apple.com/uk/store, likely
others)
* using a third party mouse
* using Safari

Weird.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<sef1tr$17dn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12618&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12618

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:47:39 +1200
 by: Your Name - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 21:47 UTC

On 2021-08-04 21:18:11 +0000, Snit said:
> On Aug 3, 2021 at 10:44:02 PM MST, "Snit" wrote <COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad>:
>>
>> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>>
>> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
>> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
>> cache. No luck.
>>
>> It works fine in Chrome.
>>
>> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
>> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
>> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>>
>> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
>> very odd thing about my system).
>>
>> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
>> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4
>
> Update: sorta got it figured out. Order is all wrong here, and likely
> forgetting some, but what I tried:
>
> * Took away my custom CSS. No change. Nor would I expect that because does
> same in Safari Tech Preview.
> * Rebooted into safemode. No change.
> * Uninstalled the third party mouse driver. No change.
> * Tried a different user account. No change.
> * Tried an Apple mouse. WORKS!
> * Tried a different third party mouse. Did not work.
> * Tried a different system with a third party mouse. DID NOT WORK!
>
> Aha. Seems there is something odd with this combo:
>
> * https://www.apple.com/store (and https://www.apple.com/uk/store, likely
> others)
> * using a third party mouse
> * using Safari
>
> Weird.

As posted prevously, my cheap Logitech works fine on the Apple Store's
new website design, but I am using an aging version of MacOS and
Safari, so possibly it gets sent a slightly different version of the
website in some way (less pointless fancy effects?).

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<MeFOI.1450$A6.1304@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12619&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12619

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 23:18:04 GMT
 by: Snit - Wed, 4 Aug 2021 23:18 UTC

On Aug 4, 2021 at 2:47:39 PM MST, "Your Name" wrote
<sef1tr$17dn$1@gioia.aioe.org>:

> On 2021-08-04 21:18:11 +0000, Snit said:
>> On Aug 3, 2021 at 10:44:02 PM MST, "Snit" wrote <COpOI.1065$Fx8.906@fx45.iad>:
>>>
>>> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>>>
>>> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
>>> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
>>> cache. No luck.
>>>
>>> It works fine in Chrome.
>>>
>>> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
>>> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
>>> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>>>
>>> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
>>> very odd thing about my system).
>>>
>>> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
>>> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4
>>
>> Update: sorta got it figured out. Order is all wrong here, and likely
>> forgetting some, but what I tried:
>>
>> * Took away my custom CSS. No change. Nor would I expect that because does
>> same in Safari Tech Preview.
>> * Rebooted into safemode. No change.
>> * Uninstalled the third party mouse driver. No change.
>> * Tried a different user account. No change.
>> * Tried an Apple mouse. WORKS!
>> * Tried a different third party mouse. Did not work.
>> * Tried a different system with a third party mouse. DID NOT WORK!
>>
>> Aha. Seems there is something odd with this combo:
>>
>> * https://www.apple.com/store (and https://www.apple.com/uk/store, likely
>> others)
>> * using a third party mouse
>> * using Safari
>>
>> Weird.
>
> As posted prevously, my cheap Logitech works fine on the Apple Store's
> new website design, but I am using an aging version of MacOS and
> Safari, so possibly it gets sent a slightly different version of the
> website in some way (less pointless fancy effects?).

Odd. My system is a 2017 iMac, the other is a new M1. Both are fully updated.

But seems it is only some mice, or some versions of Safari.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<super70s-1010D6.10593006082021@reader02.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12623&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12623

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 10:59:30 -0500
 by: super70s - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 15:59 UTC

I can't get my hometown newspaper's site to scroll properly in Chrome,
Firefox, Safari, or any other Mac browser. It makes these "jumps" and
you have to fiddle with it to get it to the right place for a new story
as you scroll down. Maybe it works fine in the PC version of Chrome,
I'll never know I guess.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<sek126$ajq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12624&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12624

From: 48forw...@gmail.com (RocketSurgeon)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 12:03:34 -0700
 by: RocketSurgeon - Fri, 6 Aug 2021 19:03 UTC

On 8/6/21 8:59 AM, super70s wrote:
> I can't get my hometown newspaper's site to scroll properly in Chrome,
> Firefox, Safari, or any other Mac browser. It makes these "jumps" and
> you have to fiddle with it to get it to the right place for a new story
> as you scroll down. Maybe it works fine in the PC version of Chrome,
> I'll never know I guess.

Post the link so others can test.

Re: Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

<sent2n$ulb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12633&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12633

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 01:20:07 -0500
 by: super70s - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 06:20 UTC

On 2021-08-06 19:03:34 +0000, RocketSurgeon said:

> On 8/6/21 8:59 AM, super70s wrote:
>> I can't get my hometown newspaper's site to scroll properly in Chrome,
>> Firefox, Safari, or any other Mac browser. It makes these "jumps" and
>> you have to fiddle with it to get it to the right place for a new story
>> as you scroll down. Maybe it works fine in the PC version of Chrome,
>> I'll never know I guess.
>>
> Post the link so others can test.

I think the problem is they have this crazy shit going on with
alternating ads in the
same space as you scroll along, trying to get as much "bang for the
buck" as possible.
Maybe it works smoothly for some sites but not for them.