Between infinite and short there is a big difference. -- G. H. Gonnet

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

SubjectAuthor
* MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Metal Guru
`* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Spalls Hurgenson
 `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Dimensional Traveler
  +- Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Spalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Zaghadka
   `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Dimensional Traveler
    `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Ant
     `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Dimensional Traveler
      `* Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Rin Stowleigh
       `- Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)Dimensional Traveler

1
MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<u89lt1$1dh0f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12662&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12662

From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:35:11 -0400
 by: Metal Guru - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:35 UTC

Wasn't aware of this since I do most of my gaming on the PS5 these days.
But gaming on a laptop makes the idea of using fewer resources very
attractive indeed, so please accept my deepest contrafibularities if
this is old news to most of you :)

https://www.xbitlabs.com/mini-steam/

--
He Who Hath Not a Uterus Should Shut the Fucketh Up - Fallopians 19:73

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<0qoiai1nqm8724d5832cuao1shtpsvp0pu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12670&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12670

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 09:28:36 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 13:28 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:35:11 -0400, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
wrote:

>Wasn't aware of this since I do most of my gaming on the PS5 these days.
>But gaming on a laptop makes the idea of using fewer resources very
>attractive indeed, so please accept my deepest contrafibularities if
>this is old news to most of you :)
>
>https://www.xbitlabs.com/mini-steam/

I'm surprised it's still an option.

You used to be able to access 'mini-steam' directly through the Steam
app itself (I forget how; I think you clicked on the library
somewhere). There was a big kerfuffle when Valve took out that
feature, and fans of the 'mini-steam' launcher were only mollified
when Valve revealed you could get it back by launching it with the
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe” -no-browser +open
steam://open/minigameslist" command. Still, there was some concern
that even this feature would eventually be removed. But I guess that
hasn't happened yet.

Myself, I don't see the need. I've never noticed Steam affecting my
game's performance, and any PCs I have that are so underpowered that
Steam /would/ steal enough CPU cycles for it to matter are running
Operating Systems that Valve no longer supports. Plus, having four
monitors, I don't really need to save screen space by using a
library-only list.

(Anyway, I rarely use Steam to launch my games directly, preferring
the ol' shortcut-on-the-desktop method ;-)

But for those who want it, it's cool that Mini-steam is still an
option.

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<u8c0km$1pidl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12672&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12672

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:50:47 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:50 UTC

On 7/8/2023 6:28 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:35:11 -0400, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Wasn't aware of this since I do most of my gaming on the PS5 these days.
>> But gaming on a laptop makes the idea of using fewer resources very
>> attractive indeed, so please accept my deepest contrafibularities if
>> this is old news to most of you :)
>>
>> https://www.xbitlabs.com/mini-steam/
>
> I'm surprised it's still an option.
>
> You used to be able to access 'mini-steam' directly through the Steam
> app itself (I forget how; I think you clicked on the library
> somewhere). There was a big kerfuffle when Valve took out that
> feature, and fans of the 'mini-steam' launcher were only mollified
> when Valve revealed you could get it back by launching it with the
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe” -no-browser +open
> steam://open/minigameslist" command. Still, there was some concern
> that even this feature would eventually be removed. But I guess that
> hasn't happened yet.
>
> Myself, I don't see the need. I've never noticed Steam affecting my
> game's performance, and any PCs I have that are so underpowered that
> Steam /would/ steal enough CPU cycles for it to matter are running
> Operating Systems that Valve no longer supports. Plus, having four
> monitors, I don't really need to save screen space by using a
> library-only list.
>
> (Anyway, I rarely use Steam to launch my games directly, preferring
> the ol' shortcut-on-the-desktop method ;-)
>
> But for those who want it, it's cool that Mini-steam is still an
> option.

Does it hold its pinkie to the corner of its mouth like full-size Steam?

dirty old man.

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<2v5jaitmf49t09ff37pq29vhcvafv4fe0i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12675&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12675

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 13:10:45 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:10 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:50:47 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 7/8/2023 6:28 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:35:11 -0400, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Wasn't aware of this since I do most of my gaming on the PS5 these days.
>>> But gaming on a laptop makes the idea of using fewer resources very
>>> attractive indeed, so please accept my deepest contrafibularities if
>>> this is old news to most of you :)
>>>
>>> https://www.xbitlabs.com/mini-steam/

>> But for those who want it, it's cool that Mini-steam is still an
>> option.

>Does it hold its pinkie to the corner of its mouth like full-size Steam?

No, but it can display up to One. MEEELLION. Games.

(alternate take:
No, but it has a frickin' laser beam attached to its menubar. )

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<i27jai5aiuhg8judhp2m8str1lrnvgmp7v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12676&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12676

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 12:26:50 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:26 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:50:47 -0700, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>On 7/8/2023 6:28 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 14:35:11 -0400, Metal Guru <MetalGuru@IsItYou.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Wasn't aware of this since I do most of my gaming on the PS5 these days.
>>> But gaming on a laptop makes the idea of using fewer resources very
>>> attractive indeed, so please accept my deepest contrafibularities if
>>> this is old news to most of you :)
>>>
>>> https://www.xbitlabs.com/mini-steam/
>>
>> I'm surprised it's still an option.
>>
>> You used to be able to access 'mini-steam' directly through the Steam
>> app itself (I forget how; I think you clicked on the library
>> somewhere). There was a big kerfuffle when Valve took out that
>> feature, and fans of the 'mini-steam' launcher were only mollified
>> when Valve revealed you could get it back by launching it with the
>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe” -no-browser +open
>> steam://open/minigameslist" command. Still, there was some concern
>> that even this feature would eventually be removed. But I guess that
>> hasn't happened yet.
>>
>> Myself, I don't see the need. I've never noticed Steam affecting my
>> game's performance, and any PCs I have that are so underpowered that
>> Steam /would/ steal enough CPU cycles for it to matter are running
>> Operating Systems that Valve no longer supports. Plus, having four
>> monitors, I don't really need to save screen space by using a
>> library-only list.
>>
>> (Anyway, I rarely use Steam to launch my games directly, preferring
>> the ol' shortcut-on-the-desktop method ;-)
>>
>> But for those who want it, it's cool that Mini-steam is still an
>> option.
>>
>Does it hold its pinkie to the corner of its mouth like full-size Steam?

You get a cracker.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<u8cete$1r7rc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12677&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12677

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:54:23 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:54 UTC

On 7/8/2023 10:26 AM, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:50:47 -0700, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2023 6:28 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>>> I'm surprised it's still an option.
>>>
>>> You used to be able to access 'mini-steam' directly through the Steam
>>> app itself (I forget how; I think you clicked on the library
>>> somewhere). There was a big kerfuffle when Valve took out that
>>> feature, and fans of the 'mini-steam' launcher were only mollified
>>> when Valve revealed you could get it back by launching it with the
>>> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe” -no-browser +open
>>> steam://open/minigameslist" command. Still, there was some concern
>>> that even this feature would eventually be removed. But I guess that
>>> hasn't happened yet.
>>>
>>> Myself, I don't see the need. I've never noticed Steam affecting my
>>> game's performance, and any PCs I have that are so underpowered that
>>> Steam /would/ steal enough CPU cycles for it to matter are running
>>> Operating Systems that Valve no longer supports. Plus, having four
>>> monitors, I don't really need to save screen space by using a
>>> library-only list.
>>>
>>> (Anyway, I rarely use Steam to launch my games directly, preferring
>>> the ol' shortcut-on-the-desktop method ;-)
>>>
>>> But for those who want it, it's cool that Mini-steam is still an
>>> option.
>>>
>> Does it hold its pinkie to the corner of its mouth like full-size Steam?
>
> You get a cracker.

o_O

dirty old man.

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<9RmdnUH2JcENmDf5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12680&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12680

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 00:55:44 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 00:55 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> > You get a cracker.
> >
> o_O

Polly wants a cracker.
--
"'Woe to me!' [Isaiah] cried. 'I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.'" --Isaiah 6:5. Quieter days after crazy days, but 2 much Z & pooping! :/
| |o o| |

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<u8d1ua$1t7vd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12681&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12681

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:19:09 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 01:19 UTC

On 7/8/2023 5:55 PM, Ant wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> You get a cracker.
>>>
>> o_O
>
> Polly wants a cracker.

Polly can have mine.

dirty old man.

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<k87kait7hoq4jid0q0rrchomd87a7bp1to@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12682&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12682

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 22:37:06 -0400
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 02:37 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:19:09 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> o_O
>>
>> Polly wants a cracker.
>
>Polly can have mine.

Searches on "polly wants a crackwhore" can sometimes turn up the
oddest results.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/10lnxwv/polly_wants_a_working_girl/#

Re: MIni-Steam (didn't know this was a thing)

<u8d7qs$21gm0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12683&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12683

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:59:43 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 02:59 UTC

On 7/8/2023 7:37 PM, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:19:09 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Polly wants a cracker.
>>
>> Polly can have mine.
>
> Searches on "polly wants a crackwhore" can sometimes turn up the
> oddest results.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/10lnxwv/polly_wants_a_working_girl/#

For some reason I am not surprised....

dirty old man.