From: nor...@nowhere.com (Ed Norton)
Subject: Replacing Recovery Partition
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 06:17:54 -0400
 by: Ed Norton - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:17 UTC

Is there any simple way to replace the OS version on the recovery
partition? I have obtained a Mac Mini 2012 that apparently shipped
with Mountain Lion and no matter what version of the OS I update to the
recovery partition remains Mountain Lion.

I want to do an clean, internet restore to at least Mojave. On another
machine running High Sierra I notice that the recovery partition offers
3 options for restoring over the internet: restore latest compatible
system, restore last loaded system, and restore the system originally
shipped. The Mountain Lion version only offers to restore Mountain
Lion over the net.

I am aware that I can download updates from the Apple Store, use USB
sticks, etc, etc. but it's much simpler to just do an internet restore
on a reformatted disk.

--
Ed

Re: Replacing Recovery Partition

<inhqusFkbvsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12656&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12656

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Replacing Recovery Partition
Date: 11 Aug 2021 11:34:52 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 11:34 UTC

On 11-Aug-2021 at 3:17:54AM PDT, "Ed Norton" <norton@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Is there any simple way to replace the OS version on the recovery
> partition? I have obtained a Mac Mini 2012 that apparently shipped
> with Mountain Lion and no matter what version of the OS I update to the
> recovery partition remains Mountain Lion.
>
> I want to do an clean, internet restore to at least Mojave. On another
> machine running High Sierra I notice that the recovery partition offers
> 3 options for restoring over the internet: restore latest compatible
> system, restore last loaded system, and restore the system originally
> shipped. The Mountain Lion version only offers to restore Mountain
> Lion over the net.
>
> I am aware that I can download updates from the Apple Store, use USB
> sticks, etc, etc. but it's much simpler to just do an internet restore
> on a reformatted disk.

When I upgraded from 10.10 to 10.13, I did a new install on a new wiped drive.
Then I migrated from my old drive to the newly installed 10.13 system. That
gave
me a APFS system with a 10.13 recovery volume.

AFAIK, just upgrading a 10.8 system to 10.13 or higher won't upgrade the
filesystem
to APFS on a SSD. Of the three backup solutions I use, Carbon Copy Cloner
won't
upgrade the recovery volume unless you're cloning the old system to a new
drive.
Then it asks for the "Install MacOS" app to extract the recovery partition on
the new
drive. SuperDuper! doesn't do this but it's good for cloning existing drives
to backups
for my daily.

So to do your install, on a blank drive, install a new copy of 10.11 and do a
migration
from your old drive. That should give you a current recovery volume and a APFS
system drive.

Re: Replacing Recovery Partition

<110820211049077951%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12660&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12660

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 10:49:07 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:49 UTC

In article <0001HW.DD391C12029073C8B02919BF@news.astraweb.com>, Ed
Norton <norton@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Is there any simple way to replace the OS version on the recovery
> partition? I have obtained a Mac Mini 2012 that apparently shipped
> with Mountain Lion and no matter what version of the OS I update to the
> recovery partition remains Mountain Lion.

it automatically updates when the main system is updated.

download whatever version you want and install it. done.

Re: Replacing Recovery Partition

<super70s-744502.15544313082021@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12679&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12679

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 15:54:43 -0500
 by: super70s - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 20:54 UTC

In article <0001HW.DD391C12029073C8B02919BF@news.astraweb.com>,
Ed Norton <norton@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Is there any simple way to replace the OS version on the recovery
> partition? I have obtained a Mac Mini 2012 that apparently shipped
> with Mountain Lion and no matter what version of the OS I update to the
> recovery partition remains Mountain Lion.
>
> I want to do an clean, internet restore to at least Mojave. On another
> machine running High Sierra I notice that the recovery partition offers
> 3 options for restoring over the internet: restore latest compatible
> system, restore last loaded system, and restore the system originally
> shipped. The Mountain Lion version only offers to restore Mountain
> Lion over the net.
>
> I am aware that I can download updates from the Apple Store, use USB
> sticks, etc, etc. but it's much simpler to just do an internet restore
> on a reformatted disk.

There's a utility out there called "Recovery Partition Creator." I
probably have two or three recovery partitions on my drive that aren't
functional at all after several Carbon Copy clones but I never used
Recovery Partition Creator out of fear it might screw everything up. I
decided if I needed to do any kind of recovering I can just boot up from
the system on my second external SSD.

Re: Replacing Recovery Partition

<inpottF966qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12680&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12680

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 14 Aug 2021 11:49:18 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 11:49 UTC

On 13-Aug-2021 at 1:54:43PM PDT, "super70s" <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.DD391C12029073C8B02919BF@news.astraweb.com>,
> Ed Norton <norton@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any simple way to replace the OS version on the recovery
>> partition? I have obtained a Mac Mini 2012 that apparently shipped
>> with Mountain Lion and no matter what version of the OS I update to the
>> recovery partition remains Mountain Lion.
>>
>> I want to do an clean, internet restore to at least Mojave. On another
>> machine running High Sierra I notice that the recovery partition offers
>> 3 options for restoring over the internet: restore latest compatible
>> system, restore last loaded system, and restore the system originally
>> shipped. The Mountain Lion version only offers to restore Mountain
>> Lion over the net.
>>
>> I am aware that I can download updates from the Apple Store, use USB
>> sticks, etc, etc. but it's much simpler to just do an internet restore
>> on a reformatted disk.
>
> There's a utility out there called "Recovery Partition Creator." I
> probably have two or three recovery partitions on my drive that aren't
> functional at all after several Carbon Copy clones but I never used
> Recovery Partition Creator out of fear it might screw everything up. I
> decided if I needed to do any kind of recovering I can just boot up from
> the system on my second external SSD.

Note that this tool works for disks that are formatted as HFS+ to create
another partition but don't work for APFS formatted drives. The OP wanted a
way to create a Recovery Partition on High Sierra which, if installed on a
blank SSD drive, will be APFS. If they upgrade an existing system (e.g.
Mountain Lion -> Hight Sierra) I don't know if it will touch the existing
recovery partition. Cloning the old drive running High Sierra to a new one
with Carbon Copy Cloner will also offer to create a Recovery Partition if the
"Install MacOS" application is around.