From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Purest Evil
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 10:08:05 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:08 UTC

"May you live in interesting times" is a traditional curse. It doesn't
sound like one, at first, until you start thinking about it. And even
if you just focus on tech issues - ignoring all the political,
economic and social changes - there is a lot of 'interesting' stuff
going on. And too often, these changes are just purest evil.

Case in point: https://www.fciv.net/

Do you know what this malefic website is? It's "Civilization"... in a
browser. Have you ever heard of anything so hideous and cruel? No
longer can you escape the lure of "just one more" turn by not
installing the game, or turning off your computer, or by leaving the
house. No, "Civilization" (well, technically, the open-source
re-implementation "FreeCiv") is online now. It can follow you wherever
you go.

Sleep? Work? Human interaction? None of that for you; not anymore.
Whether it's on your PC, your console, your phone, your automobile
entertainment system, your refrigerator... Civilization will be there,
waiting for you. Taunting you. Tempting you. There's no escaping it.

Don't believe me? Visit the website. But I don't recommend it. The
dire threat of "just one more turn" is real. Don't say I didn't warn
you.

Re: Purest Evil

<u8qfpe$3u8su$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12712&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12712

From: MetalG...@IsItYou.com (Metal Guru)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Purest Evil
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:35:07 -0400
 by: Metal Guru - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 03:35 UTC

On 7/11/2023 10:08 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> "May you live in interesting times" is a traditional curse. It doesn't
> sound like one, at first, until you start thinking about it. And even
> if you just focus on tech issues - ignoring all the political,
> economic and social changes - there is a lot of 'interesting' stuff
> going on. And too often, these changes are just purest evil.
>
> Case in point: https://www.fciv.net/

This is really neat but it's very choppy on Chrome for some reason, Edge
worked far better for me (I have 600Mbps cable). But I think I've had my
fill of that genre - must have played the Civ's, SMAC and Colonization
more than all other games combined, easily.

--
I distrust people who know so well what God wants them to do because it
always coincides with their own desires.

Re: Purest Evil

<u90afg$nllr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12719&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12719

From: now...@nochance.com (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:41:17 +0100
 by: JAB - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 08:41 UTC

On 11/07/2023 15:08, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> "May you live in interesting times" is a traditional curse. It doesn't
> sound like one, at first, until you start thinking about it. And even
> if you just focus on tech issues - ignoring all the political,
> economic and social changes - there is a lot of 'interesting' stuff
> going on. And too often, these changes are just purest evil.
>
> Case in point: https://www.fciv.net/
>
> Do you know what this malefic website is? It's "Civilization"... in a
> browser. Have you ever heard of anything so hideous and cruel? No
> longer can you escape the lure of "just one more" turn by not
> installing the game, or turning off your computer, or by leaving the
> house. No, "Civilization" (well, technically, the open-source
> re-implementation "FreeCiv") is online now. It can follow you wherever
> you go.
>
> Sleep? Work? Human interaction? None of that for you; not anymore.
> Whether it's on your PC, your console, your phone, your automobile
> entertainment system, your refrigerator... Civilization will be there,
> waiting for you. Taunting you. Tempting you. There's no escaping it.
>
> Don't believe me? Visit the website. But I don't recommend it. The
> dire threat of "just one more turn" is real. Don't say I didn't warn
> you.

I played a lot of Civ 2/3 and although I enjoyed 4 for me it had lost
that ability to make me have to force myself to go to bed at midnight
and not just have one more turn. I did get 5 but I never even managed to
finish a complete game. 6 I passed on.

Part of the problem is the same one I have with most franchises, after a
while I think I'm basically just playing the same game aren't I.

Re: Purest Evil

<5bq7bilriqea8biu194e7hf652etr1g12r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12720&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12720

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:09:25 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 13:09 UTC

On Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:41:17 +0100, JAB <noway@nochance.com> wrote:

>On 11/07/2023 15:08, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>
>> "May you live in interesting times" is a traditional curse. It doesn't
>> sound like one, at first, until you start thinking about it. And even
>> if you just focus on tech issues - ignoring all the political,
>> economic and social changes - there is a lot of 'interesting' stuff
>> going on. And too often, these changes are just purest evil.
>>
>> Case in point: https://www.fciv.net/
>>
>> Do you know what this malefic website is? It's "Civilization"... in a
>> browser. Have you ever heard of anything so hideous and cruel? No
>> longer can you escape the lure of "just one more" turn by not
>> installing the game, or turning off your computer, or by leaving the
>> house. No, "Civilization" (well, technically, the open-source
>> re-implementation "FreeCiv") is online now. It can follow you wherever
>> you go.
>>
>> Sleep? Work? Human interaction? None of that for you; not anymore.
>> Whether it's on your PC, your console, your phone, your automobile
>> entertainment system, your refrigerator... Civilization will be there,
>> waiting for you. Taunting you. Tempting you. There's no escaping it.
>>
>> Don't believe me? Visit the website. But I don't recommend it. The
>> dire threat of "just one more turn" is real. Don't say I didn't warn
>> you.
>>

>I played a lot of Civ 2/3 and although I enjoyed 4 for me it had lost
>that ability to make me have to force myself to go to bed at midnight
>and not just have one more turn. I did get 5 but I never even managed to
>finish a complete game. 6 I passed on.
>
>Part of the problem is the same one I have with most franchises, after a
>while I think I'm basically just playing the same game aren't I.

Yes. It's been a problem that Civilization has been battling since...
well, the Civilization II.

(Maybe even before, since "Civilization for Windows" and "CivNet"
preceded even that game)

It's an issue all games face, but is particularly notable in strategy
titles: after creating a game with a solid game-play loop, how do you
convince the rubes to buy a sequel? Sure, you /could/ completely
revamp the game, but then you're making a sequel-in-name-only, that
runs the risk of all new IPs. Instead, most games just make a few
minor tweaks to the gameplay and update the graphics. But after a
while all these tweaks start becoming top-heavy and you need to do a
radical re-adjustment anyway. And past a certain point, you're either
just remaking the same game for the nth time, or have become something
entirely new: either way, you've likely lost what made the original so
appealing in the first place.

For me, the original "Civilization" remains the quintessential
Civ-experience. "Civilization 2" gets a lot of fanfare, but I felt a
lot of its changes were made simply for the sake of change; more
units, more actions, more nations. It all distracted from the core
game-loop. "Civilization 3" just added more, even as it tried to
correct some of the excesses, and its new additions didn't gel well
with the overall strategy. "Civilization 4" was all about polish; it
took the ideas from the past two games and reworked them into a more
unified whole; it's why it's my second favorite of the series. #5 and
#6 are just repeating the cycle, essentially the modern versions of #2
and #3.

Hopefully "Civilization VII" - if there's ever such a beast - will
bring back some sanity to the franchise. But even if it does, why
should I bother playing it when all its really doing is returning the
game back to the balance found in #1 and #4, both of which I already
own?

I'd rather they just let the franchise rest, and move on to new ideas.