From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Denuvo
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 10:45:05 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:45 UTC

You may have seen this link; it's been the making the rounds.
Irdeto, manufacturer of the much 'beloved' DRM scheme, Denuvo, posted
an 'interview' (PR puff-piece) about how they're really the good guys
in gaming who have an undeserved reputation. Oh, and rumors of Denuvo
causing slow-downs are totally inaccurate, dude.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/07/denuvo-wants-to-convince-you-its-drm-isnt-evil

There are so many things wrong with that interview - starting with how
it assumes the only people complaining about the problems with Denuvo
are the pirates and moving on from there - but, honestly, I don't
really care to go over any of that. We've had discussions on that
topic dozens of times in this newsgroup over the years, and I doubt
there's much new we'd have to add to the argument.

(Still, feel free to chime in with your comments. I'll surely pipe up
if somebody else starts the discussion. ;-)

Mostly, I wanted to point to THIS web page, which is a useful tool if
you dislike Denuvo: it tracks which games on Steam use that DRM. It's
not always obvious if a game is 'protected' by Denuvo. It's sometimes
- but not always - mentioned on the store page, but even when it is,
that info is tucked away and hard to see unless you know where to
look. And sometimes it's not mentioned at all.

(And sometimes its added after the fact, so even if you perform due
diligence, you might still get fucked).

So use this page to see if that game uses Denuvo... and if its worth
reconsidering the purchase.

I mean, eventually it's gonna end up on GOG anyway. ;-)

Denuvo Game Tracker
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/26095454-Denuvo-Games/

Re: Denuvo

<bdeoail8462veblkbcrfsraj08vrksa7f8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12695&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12695

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Denuvo
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:03:55 -0500
 by: Zaghadka - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 17:03 UTC

On Sun, 09 Jul 2023 10:45:05 -0400, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>You may have seen this link; it's been the making the rounds.
>Irdeto, manufacturer of the much 'beloved' DRM scheme, Denuvo, posted
>an 'interview' (PR puff-piece) about how they're really the good guys
>in gaming who have an undeserved reputation. Oh, and rumors of Denuvo
>causing slow-downs are totally inaccurate, dude.
>https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/07/denuvo-wants-to-convince-you-its-drm-isnt-evil
>
>There are so many things wrong with that interview - starting with how
>it assumes the only people complaining about the problems with Denuvo
>are the pirates and moving on from there - but, honestly, I don't
>really care to go over any of that. We've had discussions on that
>topic dozens of times in this newsgroup over the years, and I doubt
>there's much new we'd have to add to the argument.
>
>(Still, feel free to chime in with your comments. I'll surely pipe up
>if somebody else starts the discussion. ;-)
>
>Mostly, I wanted to point to THIS web page, which is a useful tool if
>you dislike Denuvo: it tracks which games on Steam use that DRM. It's
>not always obvious if a game is 'protected' by Denuvo. It's sometimes
>- but not always - mentioned on the store page, but even when it is,
>that info is tucked away and hard to see unless you know where to
>look. And sometimes it's not mentioned at all.
>
>(And sometimes its added after the fact, so even if you perform due
>diligence, you might still get fucked).
>
>So use this page to see if that game uses Denuvo... and if its worth
>reconsidering the purchase.
>
>I mean, eventually it's gonna end up on GOG anyway. ;-)
>
>Denuvo Game Tracker
>https://store.steampowered.com/curator/26095454-Denuvo-Games/

Well, apparently my machine has Denuvo on it. Does it go away when you
uninstall the game, or is it one of those "I'm a permanent kernel module
now" things?

IIRC, SafeDisc was bloody well built into the OS for a while.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: Denuvo

<5ujoai1hkcigqbb7bua7nvl007f3845m11@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12697&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12697

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:43:08 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 18:43 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:03:55 -0500, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Well, apparently my machine has Denuvo on it. Does it go away when you
>uninstall the game, or is it one of those "I'm a permanent kernel module
>now" things?

AFAIK, the answer is a very definitive "maybe". Different games vary.
Still, in general most games won't do a complete delete. After all, if
you had two Denuvo-protected games and uninstalled one, and that one
totally wiped out the Denuvo backend, the second game would become
nonfunctional. So most games leave some lingering traces. But this is
a common problem with almost all Windows applications; there's always
some cruft - system DLL files, config files, registry settings - that
hang around after uninstalling.

Generally though, once all Denuvo games are removed there aren't any
active bits running. AFAIK.

Re: Denuvo

<u8lg6e$37910$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12704&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12704

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:11:26 +0200
 by: Werner P. - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 06:11 UTC

Am 09.07.23 um 16:45 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> There are so many things wrong with that interview - starting with how
> it assumes the only people complaining about the problems with Denuvo
> are the pirates and moving on from there - but, honestly, I don't
> really care to go over any of that. We've had discussions on that
> topic dozens of times in this newsgroup over the years, and I doubt
> there's much new we'd have to add to the argument.
What do you think would come out of the mouth of a PR guy in such a
situation. PR guys are by definition professional liars!
Their entire job revolves around twisting the truth!