From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Archive a TM backup to a different but in-use USB drive
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 10:29:40 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:29 UTC

I have a year’s Time Machine backups on USB hard drive “A”.

Is there a way to archive the Backups.backupdb folder for storage onto
USB drive “B” which is in use and has data on it that I need to keep there?

Maybe create another partition on drive B?

Re: Archive a TM backup to a different but in-use USB drive

<010920211053096992%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12789&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12789

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 10:53:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 14:53 UTC

In article <sgo2ol$env$1@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
wrote:

> I have a year¹s Time Machine backups on USB hard drive ³A².
>
> Is there a way to archive the Backups.backupdb folder for storage onto
> USB drive ³B² which is in use and has data on it that I need to keep there?
>
> Maybe create another partition on drive B?

do not mix the two.

you will need to create a new partition and clone it with superduper,
which is designed to clone time machine drives. the free version will
suffice if you don't already own it.

finder is suppose to be able to copy time machine drives, but it's not
reliable. you could try that first but it's probably not worth the
trouble, as it will likely fail.

Re: Archive a TM backup to a different but in-use USB drive

<sgo6pu$d4p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12790&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12790

From: wad...@cooler.net (Wade Garrett)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:38:36 -0400
 by: Wade Garrett - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:38 UTC

On 9/1/21 10:53 AM, nospam wrote:
> In article <sgo2ol$env$1@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a year¹s Time Machine backups on USB hard drive ³A².
>>
>> Is there a way to archive the Backups.backupdb folder for storage onto
>> USB drive ³B² which is in use and has data on it that I need to keep there?
>>
>> Maybe create another partition on drive B?
>
> do not mix the two.
>
> you will need to create a new partition and clone it with superduper,
> which is designed to clone time machine drives. the free version will
> suffice if you don't already own it.
>
> finder is suppose to be able to copy time machine drives, but it's not
> reliable. you could try that first but it's probably not worth the
> trouble, as it will likely fail.

Yeah, the more I think about, your first sentence is probably the best
advice.

I think I'll abandon the project and pop for an additional external USB
drive- they're cheap enough...

--
What use is wisdom when folly reigns?
- Yiddish proverb