From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: pc-alpine
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 22:14:30 +0100
 by: mechanic - Thu, 27 May 2021 21:14 UTC

For sometime there has been a problem on my install of PC-Alpine
2.24 on Windows10 here. It seems to be a credentials or ssl/tls
problem. The local A. client can log onto posteo.de and display the
inbox ok, but trying to open a folder other than 'inbox' provokes
warning messages like 'Acquire credentials handle failed' and 'There
was an SSL/TLS failure for the server'.

The Inbox Path line is:
{posteo.de:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<myName>@posteo.de}inbox
I've tried various tls/ssl variations and other flags but the
problem remains.

The pinerc settings file I use works ok in various Linux systems so
I think settings are otherwise ok.

Any thoughts or advice?

Re: pc-alpine

<ihberbFtkr3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=127&group=comp.mail.pine#127

From: use...@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: pc-alpine
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 07:53:46 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Fri, 28 May 2021 05:53 UTC

On 27/05/2021 23.14, mechanic wrote:
> For sometime there has been a problem on my install of PC-Alpine
> 2.24 on Windows10 here. It seems to be a credentials or ssl/tls
> problem. The local A. client can log onto posteo.de and display the
> inbox ok, but trying to open a folder other than 'inbox' provokes
> warning messages like 'Acquire credentials handle failed' and 'There
> was an SSL/TLS failure for the server'.
>
> The Inbox Path line is:
> {posteo.de:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<myName>@posteo.de}inbox
> I've tried various tls/ssl variations and other flags but the
> problem remains.
>
> The pinerc settings file I use works ok in various Linux systems so
> I think settings are otherwise ok.
>
> Any thoughts or advice?

For me ms-windows is a black box where you don't know what will happen,
but you would try out WSL/Ubuntu and see if works there, if not then it
may be network issues. If it works then it would indicate that there is
something wrong with the pc-alpine or missing dependency.

--

//Aho

Re: pc-alpine

<1gkrag4v2ko5o$.dlg@example1357.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=128&group=comp.mail.pine#128

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:09:49 +0100
 by: mechanic - Fri, 28 May 2021 10:09 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:53:46 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

> On 27/05/2021 23.14, mechanic wrote:
>> For sometime there has been a problem on my install of PC-Alpine
>> 2.24 on Windows10 here. It seems to be a credentials or ssl/tls
>> problem. The local A. client can log onto posteo.de and display the
>> inbox ok, but trying to open a folder other than 'inbox' provokes
>> warning messages like 'Acquire credentials handle failed' and 'There
>> was an SSL/TLS failure for the server'.
>>
>> The Inbox Path line is:
>> {posteo.de:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<myName>@posteo.de}inbox
>> I've tried various tls/ssl variations and other flags but the
>> problem remains.
>>
>> The pinerc settings file I use works ok in various Linux systems so
>> I think settings are otherwise ok.
>>
>> Any thoughts or advice?
>>

> For me ms-windows is a black box where you don't know what will happen,
> but you would try out WSL/Ubuntu and see if works there, if not then it
> may be network issues. If it works then it would indicate that there is
> something wrong with the pc-alpine or missing dependency.

I think the basic networking is ok. Using Cygwin I can run Alpine
more or less as advertised. The issue I have with Cygwin is one of
setting up the url-viewers list, I am still working on that. For the
most straightforward way of running Alpine here, I use a virtualbox
session with Debian. Still, it makes more sense to try to get
pc-alpine working as a Windows application, given that I have
Windows10 happy to run many other applications.

Re: pc-alpine

<ihct6qF7vimU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=129&group=comp.mail.pine#129

From: use...@example.net (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 21:04:58 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Fri, 28 May 2021 19:04 UTC

On 28/05/2021 12.09, mechanic wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 07:53:46 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> On 27/05/2021 23.14, mechanic wrote:
>>> For sometime there has been a problem on my install of PC-Alpine
>>> 2.24 on Windows10 here. It seems to be a credentials or ssl/tls
>>> problem. The local A. client can log onto posteo.de and display the
>>> inbox ok, but trying to open a folder other than 'inbox' provokes
>>> warning messages like 'Acquire credentials handle failed' and 'There
>>> was an SSL/TLS failure for the server'.
>>>
>>> The Inbox Path line is:
>>> {posteo.de:993/imap/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=<myName>@posteo.de}inbox
>>> I've tried various tls/ssl variations and other flags but the
>>> problem remains.
>>>
>>> The pinerc settings file I use works ok in various Linux systems so
>>> I think settings are otherwise ok.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts or advice?
>>>

>> For me ms-windows is a black box where you don't know what will happen,
>> but you would try out WSL/Ubuntu and see if works there, if not then it
>> may be network issues. If it works then it would indicate that there is
>> something wrong with the pc-alpine or missing dependency.
>
> I think the basic networking is ok. Using Cygwin I can run Alpine
> more or less as advertised. The issue I have with Cygwin is one of
> setting up the url-viewers list, I am still working on that. For the
> most straightforward way of running Alpine here, I use a virtualbox
> session with Debian. Still, it makes more sense to try to get
> pc-alpine working as a Windows application, given that I have
> Windows10 happy to run many other applications.

I do agree that it's better to get it run native, unless you have other
things running on that debian, I would recommend you to look at wsl,
then you don't have to hassle with the vbox drivers in the debian and
the startup of the wsl session is far faster than the virtualbox and at
the same time you have full access to the windows file system from the
wsl and it don't reserve a fixed amount of memory or relay on a disk
image. The thing I'm looking forward for is the wslgl which will allow
you to run GUI based Linux applications, then my work machine will be a
bit more like my home computer, but sure it had been nice to run all the
stuff I'm used to native instead in a wsl.

After that rant, have you tried an older version and seen if it works
better for you? Also tested the 32bit version? From what I see the 32bit
version comes with more libraries and tools. The crypto libraryy seems
to also be newer than the one that comes with the 64bit version.

--

//Aho

Re: pc-alpine

<ecee46c9-b681-d945-8fa4-ab21b884657@washington.edu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=130&group=comp.mail.pine#130

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 18:37:42 -0600
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Sat, 29 May 2021 00:37 UTC

On Thu, 27 May 2021, mechanic wrote:

> For sometime there has been a problem on my install of PC-Alpine
> 2.24 on Windows10 here. It seems to be a credentials or ssl/tls
> problem. The local A. client can log onto posteo.de and display the
> inbox ok, but trying to open a folder other than 'inbox' provokes
> warning messages like 'Acquire credentials handle failed' and 'There
> was an SSL/TLS failure for the server'.

Dear Mechanic,

I built a special version of Alpine for a friend, please try that and
let me know how it behaves for you. The link is

http://alpine.x10host.com/Ulf/Windows_Ulf.zip

Thank you!

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: pc-alpine

<krn55h25j02s.dlg@example1357.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=131&group=comp.mail.pine#131

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:55:04 +0100
 by: mechanic - Sat, 29 May 2021 15:55 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 21:04:58 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

> After that rant, have you tried an older version and seen if it works
> better for you? Also tested the 32bit version? From what I see the 32bit
> version comes with more libraries and tools. The crypto libraryy seems
> to also be newer than the one that comes with the 64bit version.

Yes the 32 bit version does seem to work, apart from an issue with a
certificate. Thanks for the idea!

Re: pc-alpine

<6k86hqbrz01l$.dlg@example1357.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=132&group=comp.mail.pine#132

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:56:13 +0100
 by: mechanic - Sat, 29 May 2021 15:56 UTC

On Fri, 28 May 2021 18:37:42 -0600, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> I built a special version of Alpine for a friend, please try that and
> let me know how it behaves for you. The link is
>
> http://alpine.x10host.com/Ulf/Windows_Ulf.zip
>
> Thank you!

Yes, that seems to work! Thanks as ever, Eduardo.

Re: pc-alpine

<51dd0fe8-177d-4b86-9386-0c6c9d84fd3an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=133&group=comp.mail.pine#133

Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 11:40:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: dsk...@gmail.com (David Kirk)
 by: David Kirk - Sat, 29 May 2021 18:40 UTC

On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 11:56:14 AM UTC-4, mechanic wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2021 18:37:42 -0600, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
>
> > I built a special version of Alpine for a friend, please try that and
> > let me know how it behaves for you. The link is
> >
> > http://alpine.x10host.com/Ulf/Windows_Ulf.zip
> >
> > Thank you!
> Yes, that seems to work! Thanks as ever, Eduardo.

Eduardo,
I had same problem as Mechanic. I had been using setup of domain-name:143/tls and it suddenly stopped working. I tried many settings and nothing worked. I downloaed the windows_Ulf version and it solved my problem. Thank you for making this available.
david