Power corrupts. And atomic power corrupts atomically.

computers / news.software.nntp / Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

SubjectAuthor
* Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP KeyJason Evans
+* Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP KeyJulien ÉLIE
|`- Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP KeyJason Evans
`* Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP KeyRuss Allbery
 `- Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP KeyAdam H. Kerman

1
Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

<s73ke0$emv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=128&group=news.software.nntp#128

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 14:56:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Fri, 7 May 2021 14:56 UTC

This article is really for Russ and Julien, but I figured others might be
interested as well.

Do you have an update on the experiments with signing control files with
the old and new key? Is that currently working and how will the new
public key be disseminated?

Thanks!

Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

<s7499d$kj8$1@news.trigofacile.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=129&group=news.software.nntp#129

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 22:51:57 +0200
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 7 May 2021 20:51 UTC

Hi Jason,

> Do you have an update on the experiments with signing control files with
> the old and new key? Is that currently working and how will the new
> public key be disseminated?

You may have a look at the news.admin.hierarchies where Russ published
on March 14th an article to mention the beginning of the experiments.

I think it contains the responses to your questions.
Next step is the official confirmation of the new key (announcement,
update in the Big-8 site...) and hope we're done for 10+ years :-)
And then maybe other hierarchies will also update their key (it.*, de.*,
uk.*...).

%%
I have finally done the work to create a new modern GnuPG signing key for
control messages for the Big Eight hierarchies and wired it into the
machinery that sends those control messages. I have sent one experimental
checkgroups message signed with that key:

<cmsg-20210314174844$1888@isc.org>

To test the automation, tomorrow the normal monthly checkgroups will be
issued, which should result in two control messages, one signed with the
new key and one with the old key.

I've used the same key ID for the new key as the old key so that updating
will be as simple as importing the new key.

This key is currently EXPERIMENTAL and I reserve the right to reissue the
key if anyone uncovers any problems. If you are in a position to do so,
please try verifying the control messages with the new key and check that
the work properly. I plan on making this new key official some time next
month and will post a more general announcement to news.announce.newgroups
and news.admin.announce at that time.

To avoid binary filters dropping this message, I haven't included the new
signing key in this post. You can get it from:

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/big-8/key.asc
%%

--
Julien ÉLIE

« La vraie paresse, c'est de se lever à 6 heures du matin pour avoir
plus longtemps à ne rien faire. » (Tristan Bernard)

Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

<s7bkek$jrp$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=130&group=news.software.nntp#130

From: jsev...@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 15:45:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Mon, 10 May 2021 15:45 UTC

On Fri, 7 May 2021 22:51:57 +0200, Julien ÉLIE wrote:

> You may have a look at the news.admin.hierarchies where Russ published
> on March 14th an article to mention the beginning of the experiments.

Thanks, I will review this thread.

> I think it contains the responses to your questions.
> Next step is the official confirmation of the new key (announcement,
> update in the Big-8 site...) and hope we're done for 10+ years :-)
> And then maybe other hierarchies will also update their key (it.*, de.*,
> uk.*...).

Just email us at board@big-8.org and we'll make any changes that you need
to the Big-8 website.

Jason

Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

<87v95yr8jm.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=157&group=news.software.nntp#157

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 20:07:41 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:07 UTC

Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> writes:

> This article is really for Russ and Julien, but I figured others might
> be interested as well.

> Do you have an update on the experiments with signing control files with
> the old and new key? Is that currently working and how will the new
> public key be disseminated?

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry to have gone radio-silent on this and to take so long to finish
the changes I was making. The last few months were very hectic for a lot
of (largely good, thankfully) personal reasons and my time for Usenet
temporarily dropped to zero.

I've now finished switching things over, and for the next round on the
15th of next month, the new key should be more clearly marked as the
official one, and I think I also fixed various issues with the
enws.announce.newgroups group list post.

I put up a simple web site at:

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/big-8/

just to collect the stuff that I'm currently responsible in some canonical
location.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Please post questions rather than mailing me directly.
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

Re: Looking for Status of Big-8 PGP Key

<sbbfp7$id3$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=158&group=news.software.nntp#158

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:30:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:30 UTC

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> wrote:

>I'm sorry to have gone radio-silent on this and to take so long to finish
>the changes I was making. The last few months were very hectic for a lot
>of (largely good, thankfully) personal reasons and my time for Usenet
>temporarily dropped to zero.

Congratulations on good things in real life, and I'm willing to look at
the cute pictures of grandkids.