From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: EFF_Flies_Plane_Over_Cupertino_With_Banner_“Apple
: Don't Scan Our Phones!”
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:09:15 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:09 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
> At my neighbor's son's school, which is adjacent to the Apple Infinite
> Loop campus, they saw an airplane towing a banner �Apple: Don't Scan Our
> Phones!� yesterday.
>
> See <https://www.eff.org/files/2021/09/14/apple_plane_photo-small.jpg>
> and
> <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/09/protestors-nationwide-rally-tell-apple-dont-break-encryption-dont-break-your>.
>
> The reality is that the ill-advised scanning plan, which was decried by
> privacy and human rights groups, has now been "delayed" but that "delay"
> is almost certainly to turn into forever

Let's hope Apple is just saving face by calling it a "delay" in the news.

What's obvious is that _all_ intelligent people have decried these backdoors
and yet, Apple isn't stupid...

In fact, Apple is one of the smartest companies on this planet at garnering
a profit out of low R&D expenses and astronomically high advertising costs.

Knowing that fact... the question is WHAT was Apple _really_ up to?
I don't know.

Do you?
--
Apple marketing knows that high advertising & low R&D means huge profits.

Re: EFF Flies Plane Over Cupertino With Banner “Apple: Don't Scan Our Phones!”

<shtouu$j6f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12811&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12811

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re:_EFF_Flies_Plane_Over_Cupertino_With_Banner_
“Apple: Don't Scan Our Phones!”
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:35:24 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:35 UTC

On 2021-09-15 1:09 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> asked
>> At my neighbor's son's school, which is adjacent to the Apple Infinite
>> Loop campus, they saw an airplane towing a banner ´Apple: Don't Scan Our
>> Phones!¡ yesterday.
>>
>> See <https://www.eff.org/files/2021/09/14/apple_plane_photo-small.jpg>
>> and
>> <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/09/protestors-nationwide-rally-tell-apple-dont-break-encryption-dont-break-your>.
>>
>> The reality is that the ill-advised scanning plan, which was decried by
>> privacy and human rights groups, has now been "delayed" but that "delay"
>> is almost certainly to turn into forever
>
> Let's hope Apple is just saving face by calling it a "delay" in the news.
>
> What's obvious is that _all_ intelligent people have decried these backdoors
> and yet, Apple isn't stupid...
>
> In fact, Apple is one of the smartest companies on this planet at garnering
> a profit out of low R&D expenses and astronomically high advertising costs.

Apple's R&D expense is only low as a ratio of their revenues.

In absolute terms, it is in the top 5 R&D spenders in the world.

> Knowing that fact... the question is WHAT was Apple _really_ up to?
> I don't know.
>
> Do you?

They were attempting to catch people who collect and trade in child
pornography.