From: brian.jo...@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Convert Template files to Res?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 22:58:49 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 21:58 UTC

All
I have a feeling that it is possible to convert Template(fec) files to
Resource(fae). Is this the case?
Thanks

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 on Raspberry Pi

Re: Convert Template files to Res?

<mpro.qrsut701qpxj8029r.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1277&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1277

From: new...@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: Convert Template files to Res?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:15:07 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:15 UTC

On 17 Apr, Brian Jordan wrote in message
<591ec89bfdbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>:

> All I have a feeling that it is possible to convert Template(fec) files to
> Resource(fae). Is this the case?

I'm not sure how that would work, because as far as I know Res files contain
toolbox gadgets whilst Template files contain basic windows and icons. You
would need to be able to combine the icons into gadgets, which might be
tricky without additional information.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: Convert Template files to Res?

<591f8546b4brian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1278&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1278

From: brian.jo...@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:19:34 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:19 UTC

In article <mpro.qrsut701qpxj8029r.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 17 Apr, Brian Jordan wrote in message
> <591ec89bfdbrian.jordan9@btinternet.com>:

> > All I have a feeling that it is possible to convert Template(fec)
> > files to Resource(fae). Is this the case?

> I'm not sure how that would work, because as far as I know Res files
> contain toolbox gadgets whilst Template files contain basic windows and
> icons. You would need to be able to combine the icons into gadgets,
> which might be tricky without additional information.

Thank you. A bit of research over the weekend has confirmed that my
feeling was wrong. I was mis-remembering the purpose of a utility lurking
on my computer which converts template files to BASIC.
I have a couple of programs I wrote, using Dr Wimp, some years ago which
I am re-writing using the toolbox via AppBasic. I has hoping the old
templates could be used but maybe a re- design to something more style
guide compliant would be a good thing.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 on Raspberry Pi

Re: Convert Template files to Res?

<1467941f59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1279&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1279

From: harr...@bazleyfamily.co.uk (Harriet Bazley)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:04:47 +0100
 by: Harriet Bazley - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 11:04 UTC

On 19 Apr 2021 as I do recall,
Brian Jordan wrote:

[snip]

> I was mis-remembering the purpose of a utility lurking on my computer
> which converts template files to BASIC. I have a couple of programs I
> wrote, using Dr Wimp, some years ago which I am re-writing using the
> toolbox via AppBasic. I has hoping the old templates could be used but
> maybe a re- design to something more style guide compliant would be a
> good thing.

CCRes (converts templates/Resource files to text and back again) might
be of some help, at least for icon size/location comparisons?
http://www.bass-software.com/ccres/

I'm actually surprised that ResEd was never given the option to import
standard Template files and/or that nobody ever wrote an importer when
the Toolbox first came out, as it seems an obvious step in converting
programs.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

Re: Convert Template files to Res?

<591f9b3ff5brian.jordan9@btinternet.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1280&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1280

From: brian.jo...@btinternet.com (Brian Jordan)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 13:19:34 +0100
 by: Brian Jordan - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:19 UTC

In article <1467941f59.harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk>,
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazleyfamily.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]

> CCRes (converts templates/Resource files to text and back again) might
> be of some help, at least for icon size/location comparisons?
> http://www.bass-software.com/ccres/

Thank you, I have downloaded CCRes and had a quick play. The desktop
version terminates after a partial conversion with an abort on data
transfer whether dealing with template or resource files. I'll try the
command line version later; when I have been out for my annual haircut.

> I'm actually surprised that ResEd was never given the option to import
> standard Template files and/or that nobody ever wrote an importer when
> the Toolbox first came out, as it seems an obvious step in converting
> programs.
Me too! I think it was in part this 'obviousness' that made me think that
it must already exist.

Brian Jordan
RISC OS 5.28 on Raspberry Pi

Re: Convert Template files to Res?

<s5m4m1$1h1p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1282&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1282

From: ste...@kappa.me.uk (Steve Drain)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 09:51:35 +0100
 by: Steve Drain - Tue, 20 Apr 2021 08:51 UTC

Brian Jordan wrote:
> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>> I'm actually surprised that ResEd was never given the option to import
>> standard Template files and/or that nobody ever wrote an importer when
>> the Toolbox first came out, as it seems an obvious step in converting
>> programs.
> Me too! I think it was in part this 'obviousness' that made me think that
> it must already exist.
A Res file is for objects, a Template file is for windows. These are
only related in defining things that appear on the desktop.

It is no surprise that a Template file just does not contain the
information needed for a Res file. The layout alone is not sufficient.