From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Could a "magsafe" wireless charger get full spec output with a 5W usb brick (5V at 1 amp)?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:14:34 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 15:14 UTC

sms wrote:

>> Why should anyone care if a cube charger released more than a decade ago
>> can or cannot be used with a much more modern piece of kit?
>
> Not sure since I have those trolls filtered out

As a result...
a. You lose a lot of information, Steve.
b. You lose a lot of facts.
c. Worse, you make incorrect decisions because you don't know those facts.

> but I suspect that
> "nospam" is insisting that no one needs to buy a new charger when they
> buy a new iPhone that doesn't come with a charger because their old 5W
> charger will still work, while "Andy" is insisting that a new charger is
> necessary because MagSafe needs at least a 12W power adapter, and 20W is
> recommended <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829>.

You suspect correctly - where if you can't figure out my posts from the
SUBJECT line alone then you're not as smart as I have given you credit for.

:)

> While you can certainly get by with an old 5W power adapter, on a newer
> iPhone, for wired charging, it isn't a great idea for multiple reasons.

Thanks Steve for answering the question which you correctly ascertained was
asked because nospam repeatedly insisted any old 5V 1A 5W charger charges
at full power using both the Magsafe and Qi chargers we were discussing.

I doubted nospam for two reasons, the first of which is nospam is always
ignorant of what Apple products can do, but the second was that the wattage
just didn't add up to what is needed given the low input & losses involved.

However, since I said from the start I don't know anything about Magsafe, I
asked this question to find out if nospam was lying, ignorant, or correct.

All I care about are the facts.
I don't try to defend Apple to the death like nospam does.

I just wanted to know the truth.

Turns out, based on your answer, nospam was just ignorant about Magsafe.
And it turns out nospam was ignorant about Qi charging also I'm sure.

The amount nospam is ignorant of with Apple products is no longer shocking.

Re: Could a "magsafe" wireless charger get full spec output with a 5W usb brick (5V at 1 amp)?

<tqmh3b$3n6j6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12853&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#12853

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Could a "magsafe" wireless charger get full spec output with a 5W
usb brick (5V at 1 amp)?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:45:15 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:45 UTC

On 2023-01-23 07:14, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>>> Why should anyone care if a cube charger released more than a decade
>>> ago can or cannot be used with a much more modern piece of kit?
>>
>> Not sure since I have those trolls filtered out
>
> As a result... a. You lose a lot of information, Steve.
> b. You lose a lot of facts. c. Worse, you make incorrect decisions
> because you don't know those facts.
>
>> but I suspect that "nospam" is insisting that no one needs to buy a
>> new charger when they buy a new iPhone that doesn't come with a
>> charger because their old 5W charger will still work, while "Andy" is
>> insisting that a new charger is necessary because MagSafe needs at
>> least a 12W power adapter, and 20W is recommended
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829>.
>
> You suspect correctly - where if you can't figure out my posts from the
> SUBJECT line alone then you're not as smart as I have given you credit for.
>
> :)
>
>> While you can certainly get by with an old 5W power adapter, on a
>> newer iPhone, for wired charging, it isn't a great idea for multiple
>> reasons.
>
> Thanks Steve for answering the question which you correctly ascertained was
> asked because nospam repeatedly insisted any old 5V 1A 5W charger charges
> at full power using both the Magsafe and Qi chargers we were discussing.\

No....

I don't ever recall him saying that.

Re: Could a "magsafe" wireless charger get full spec output with a 5W usb brick (5V at 1 amp)?

<tqmh7t$3n6j6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12854&group=comp.sys.mac.advocacy#12854

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
usb brick (5V at 1 amp)?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:47:41 -0800
 by: Alan - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:47 UTC

On 2023-01-23 07:14, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>>> Why should anyone care if a cube charger released more than a decade
>>> ago can or cannot be used with a much more modern piece of kit?
>>
>> Not sure since I have those trolls filtered out
>
> As a result... a. You lose a lot of information, Steve.
> b. You lose a lot of facts. c. Worse, you make incorrect decisions
> because you don't know those facts.
>
>> but I suspect that "nospam" is insisting that no one needs to buy a
>> new charger when they buy a new iPhone that doesn't come with a
>> charger because their old 5W charger will still work, while "Andy" is
>> insisting that a new charger is necessary because MagSafe needs at
>> least a 12W power adapter, and 20W is recommended
>> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211829>.
>
> You suspect correctly - where if you can't figure out my posts from the
> SUBJECT line alone then you're not as smart as I have given you credit for.
>
> :)
>
>> While you can certainly get by with an old 5W power adapter, on a
>> newer iPhone, for wired charging, it isn't a great idea for multiple
>> reasons.
>
> Thanks Steve for answering the question which you correctly ascertained was
> asked because nospam repeatedly insisted any old 5V 1A 5W charger charges
> at full power using both the Magsafe and Qi chargers we were discussing.
>
> I doubted nospam for two reasons, the first of which is nospam is always
> ignorant of what Apple products can do, but the second was that the wattage
> just didn't add up to what is needed given the low input & losses involved.
>
> However, since I said from the start I don't know anything about Magsafe, I
> asked this question to find out if nospam was lying, ignorant, or correct.
>
> All I care about are the facts.
> I don't try to defend Apple to the death like nospam does.
>
> I just wanted to know the truth.

Because you're too stupid to know that 15 is bigger than 5?