Knowledge, sir, should be free to all! -- Harry Mudd, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3

devel / comp.sys.acorn.misc / backup glitch help needed

SubjectAuthor
* backup glitch help neededChris Newman
+* Re: backup glitch help neededChris Hughes
|`- Re: backup glitch help neededChris Newman
`* Re: backup glitch help neededdruck
 `- Re: backup glitch help neededChris Newman

1
backup glitch help needed

<59286e5cc9cvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1286&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1286

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Subject: backup glitch help needed
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 16:35:07 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 6 May 2021 15:35 UTC

Hi,

Sending again sans attachments in case the moderator didn't accept the
previous.

I've just used SyncDiscs to back up my SSD hard drive on Raspberry Pi4
RISC OS 5.28. I dismounted the external drive but now every time I try
to access a file or load a programme I get such as .....

14:01:50.77 ** WimpError ** from Pinboard
Error : &00011AD5
Message: Disc not present

14:01:50.75 ** WimpError ** from Message from SCSI
Error : &00000000
Message: Please insert disc 'BackUp'

Initially, the external disc refused to dismount. I eventually, after
many shuttings down & re-tries, got it to dismount but I still get the
errors & can't use the machine unless the ext drive is plugged back in.

When I do anything, the activity light on the external disc flashes so it
appears the Pi is trying to work from the external disc instead of the
internal.

I hadn't changed any of the backup parameters. I have screenshots
from SyncDiscs in case anyone can spot something I've missed.

Catch 22 rules OK!

Any flashes of inspiration gratefully received.

--
Chris Newman

Re: backup glitch help needed

<ef0d722859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1287&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1287

From: new...@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Subject: Re: backup glitch help needed
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 17:15:26 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Thu, 6 May 2021 16:15 UTC

In message <59286e5cc9cvjazz@waitrose.com>
Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> Sending again sans attachments in case the moderator didn't accept the
> previous.

> I've just used SyncDiscs to back up my SSD hard drive on Raspberry Pi4
> RISC OS 5.28. I dismounted the external drive but now every time I try
> to access a file or load a programme I get such as .....

> 14:01:50.77 ** WimpError ** from Pinboard
> Error : &00011AD5
> Message: Disc not present

Its telling you have a pined file/program on you Pinbaord pointing at the
backup drive

> 14:01:50.75 ** WimpError ** from Message from SCSI
> Error : &00000000
> Message: Please insert disc 'BackUp'

Due to the above. Checked your pined icons on the Pin Board

--
Chris Hughes

Re: backup glitch help needed

<592873e26ecvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1288

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 17:35:25 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 6 May 2021 16:35 UTC

In article <ef0d722859.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <59286e5cc9cvjazz@waitrose.com>
> Chris Newman <cvjazz@waitrose.com> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > Sending again sans attachments in case the moderator didn't accept the
> > previous.

> > I've just used SyncDiscs to back up my SSD hard drive on Raspberry Pi4
> > RISC OS 5.28. I dismounted the external drive but now every time I try
> > to access a file or load a programme I get such as .....

> > 14:01:50.77 ** WimpError ** from Pinboard
> > Error : &00011AD5
> > Message: Disc not present

> Its telling you have a pined file/program on you Pinbaord pointing at the
> backup drive

> > 14:01:50.75 ** WimpError ** from Message from SCSI
> > Error : &00000000
> > Message: Please insert disc 'BackUp'

> Due to the above. Checked your pined icons on the Pin Board

Thanks Chris. I eventually sussed out for myself that it was a pinboard
problem. I had to send the help mail via my RiscPC so it things took a
bit of time. The pinboard I was using was the enhanced one from RiscOS
Developments so when I stopped that all was well but I couldntr figure
out exactly why it was glitching but now you've given me the clue so I'll
investigate.

How it happened I know not. C'est la vie.

Thanks again.

--
Chris Newman

Re: backup glitch help needed

<s71f3j$9a2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1289

From: new...@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 20:12:44 +0100
 by: druck - Thu, 6 May 2021 19:12 UTC

On 06/05/2021 16:35, Chris Newman wrote:
> Sending again sans attachments in case the moderator didn't accept
> the previous.

There is no moderator, but these are text only newsgroup, attachments of
any type are prohibited.

> I've just used SyncDiscs to back up my SSD hard drive on Raspberry
> Pi4 RISC OS 5.28. I dismounted the external drive but now every time
> I try to access a file or load a programme I get such as .....
>

> 14:01:50.77 ** WimpError ** from Pinboard Error : &00011AD5 Message:
> Disc not present
>

> 14:01:50.75 ** WimpError ** from Message from SCSI Error :
> &00000000 Message: Please insert disc 'BackUp'
>
> Initially, the external disc refused to dismount. I eventually,
> after many shuttings down & re-tries, got it to dismount but I still
> get the errors & can't use the machine unless the ext drive is
> plugged back in.
>
> When I do anything, the activity light on the external disc flashes
> so it appears the Pi is trying to work from the external disc instead
> of the internal.

What is likely is that you have run things from the backup drive rather
than the main drive, so applications are looking for their files there,
and the pin board has files from the backup drive pinned to it.

It is a good idea not to look at the backup drive, as even opening
directories on it, if the haven't been open on the main drive first,
could cause applications to think that it their home.

> I hadn't changed any of the backup parameters. I have screenshots
> from SyncDiscs in case anyone can spot something I've missed.
>
> Catch 22 rules OK!
>
> Any flashes of inspiration gratefully received.

Disconnect the backup drive, and reboot.

---druck

Re: backup glitch help needed

<592887d26fcvjazz@waitrose.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=comp.sys.acorn.misc#1290

From: cvj...@waitrose.com (Chris Newman)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.misc
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 21:13:13 +0100
 by: Chris Newman - Thu, 6 May 2021 20:13 UTC

In article <s71f3j$9a2$1@dont-email.me>,
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> On 06/05/2021 16:35, Chris Newman wrote:
> > Sending again sans attachments in case the moderator didn't accept
> > the previous.

> There is no moderator, but these are text only newsgroup, attachments of
> any type are prohibited.

> > I've just used SyncDiscs to back up my SSD hard drive on Raspberry
> > Pi4 RISC OS 5.28. I dismounted the external drive but now every time
> > I try to access a file or load a programme I get such as .....
> >

> > 14:01:50.77 ** WimpError ** from Pinboard Error : &00011AD5 Message:
> > Disc not present
> >

> > 14:01:50.75 ** WimpError ** from Message from SCSI Error :
> > &00000000 Message: Please insert disc 'BackUp'
> >
> > Initially, the external disc refused to dismount. I eventually,
> > after many shuttings down & re-tries, got it to dismount but I still
> > get the errors & can't use the machine unless the ext drive is
> > plugged back in.
> >
> > When I do anything, the activity light on the external disc flashes
> > so it appears the Pi is trying to work from the external disc instead
> > of the internal.

> What is likely is that you have run things from the backup drive rather
> than the main drive, so applications are looking for their files there,
> and the pin board has files from the backup drive pinned to it.

Hadn't done that as far as I was aware.

> It is a good idea not to look at the backup drive, as even opening
> directories on it, if the haven't been open on the main drive first,
> could cause applications to think that it their home.

> > I hadn't changed any of the backup parameters. I have screenshots
> > from SyncDiscs in case anyone can spot something I've missed.
> >
> > Catch 22 rules OK!
> >
> > Any flashes of inspiration gratefully received.

> Disconnect the backup drive, and reboot.

Did that. No joy.

I've cured it by opening the back up drive & using the get out of jail
file that came with it to stop the pinboard from the backup side. Then
did that again from the internal disc. That stopped the problem except
that I had to re-populate the pinboard. All done now. Thanks for
everybody's help.

I still cannot see what I did to cause the problem. I'll see what happens
at the next backup.

--
Chris Newman