If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. -- Albert Einstein

computers / news.admin.hierarchies / Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)

SubjectAuthor
* Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Russ Allbery
+* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Adam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Russ Allbery
| +- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Thomas Hochstein
| `* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Adam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Russ Allbery
|   `* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Thomas Hochstein
|    `* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Russ Allbery
|     `- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Richard Kettlewell
+* Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Julien ÉLIE
|+- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Russ Allbery
|`- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Adam H. Kerman
+- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)Thomas Hochstein
`* Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigD. Stussy
 `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uRuss Allbery
  `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uD. Stussy
   `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uRuss Allbery
    +* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uAdam H. Kerman
    |+* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: StopJulien ÉLIE
    ||`- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messagesAdam H. Kerman
    |`* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uRuss Allbery
    | `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uAdam H. Kerman
    |  `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uRuss Allbery
    |   `- Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messagesAdam H. Kerman
    `* Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uD. Stussy
     `- Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring uRuss Allbery

Pages:12
Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)

<87r1esdrp3.fsf@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=129&group=news.admin.hierarchies#129

From: eag...@eyrie.org (Russ Allbery)
Newsgroups: news.admin.hierarchies
Subject: Re: Invalid from mailbox in control messages - was Re: Proposal: Stop honoring unsigned control messages (*)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:19:36 -0700
 by: Russ Allbery - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:19 UTC

"D. Stussy" <spam@spam.org> writes:

> Preventing a (malicious) flood of these is the point.

I think this is the root of our disagreement. The way I would phrase the
differing perspectives is that you feel we should block invalid email
addresses because they were used in the past in floods of malicious
control messages. I feel that anyone who is trying to be malicious will
look at how the software is widely configured and pick a syntactically
valid email address to avoid that check (and it's trivial to do so and
there's no good way of stopping this).

Does that sound like a fair characterization?

> I did receive one e-mailed newgroup message for the "rtfm" hierarchy
> this month, a hierarchy not in the control.ctl file. The greenend.*
> hierarchy checkgroups message was also emailed because there is
> something wrong with its signature. I don't think that's in the control
> file either, but I have seen it before so it's in my control.ctl.local
> file.

Oh, good point, I forgot that we include a default action of mail for
newgroup and rmgroup. Adding a valid email address filter there makes a
lot of sense to me, given that those messages are essentially useless
unless a news administrator can contact the sender and ask what the
intention was.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>