Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed. -- Neil Armstrong

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

SubjectAuthor
* Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?Robin Goodfellow
+* Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?Alan Baker
|`* Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?RocketSurgeon
| `* Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?Robin Goodfellow
|  `- Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?Alan Baker
`- Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?Robin Goodfellow

1
Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sirl7t$698$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12915&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12915

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 05:36:05 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 05:36 UTC

Can you run full-fledged Linux distros, for free, sans ads, right on your
iOS device without jailbreaking (like you can with Android sans rooting)?
a. Debian Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
b. Ubuntu Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
c. Fedora Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
etc.

How?

Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sirlg8$7hh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12916&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12916

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:40:21 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 05:40 UTC

On 2021-09-26 10:36 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> Can you run full-fledged Linux distros, for free, sans ads, right on your
> iOS device without jailbreaking (like you can with Android sans rooting)?
> a. Debian Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
> b. Ubuntu Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
> c. Fedora Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
> etc.
>
> How?

Who cares?

1. If you install Linux on a device that runs Android... ...it's not a
device running Android anymore.

2. Almost all people want smartphones that just work. iOS does that for
them ust fine.

Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sitv4n$h01$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12920&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12920

From: 48forw...@gmail.com (RocketSurgeon)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:37:11 -0700
 by: RocketSurgeon - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 02:37 UTC

On 9/26/21 10:40 PM, Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2021-09-26 10:36 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> Can you run full-fledged Linux distros, for free, sans ads, right on your
>> iOS device without jailbreaking (like you can with Android sans rooting)?
>> a. Debian Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
>> b. Ubuntu Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
>> c. Fedora Linux (with typical desktop environments & window managers)
>> etc.
>>
>> How?
>>

> Who cares?
>
> 1. If you install Linux on a device that runs Android... ...it's not a
> device running Android anymore.
>
> 2. Almost all people want smartphones that just work. iOS does that for
> them ust fine.

Asking again: Can you please refrain from replying to Arlen?

Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sj1bm1$q6m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12925&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12925

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 09:29:46 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 09:29 UTC

RocketSurgeon <48forward@gmail.com> asked
>> 1. If you install Linux on a device that runs Android... ...it's not a
>> device running Android anymore.

> Asking again: Can you please refrain from replying to Arlen?

Yes please.
Alan Baker is plonked by virtually everyone but you RocketSurgeon.

We wouldn't even _see_ his posts if you didn't keep responding to him.

And, as always, he's wrong about Android & Linux not running together.
Both Android & Linux run concurrently (not separately as Alan thought).

It's no longer shocking how fantastically ignorant apologists prove to be.
--
Every single time you try to do anything on an iPhone, it's crippled.

Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sj1gf8$sjr$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12926&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12926

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 03:51:20 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:51 UTC

On 2021-09-29 2:29 a.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> RocketSurgeon <48forward@gmail.com> asked
>>> 1. If you install Linux on a device that runs Android... ...it's not a
>>> device running Android anymore.
>
>> Asking again: Can you please refrain from replying to Arlen?
>
> Yes please.
> Alan Baker is plonked by virtually everyone but you RocketSurgeon.
>
> We wouldn't even _see_ his posts if you didn't keep responding to him.

You see all my posts.

As is evidenced by the times your socks reply.

> And, as always, he's wrong about Android & Linux not running together.
> Both Android & Linux run concurrently (not separately as Alan thought).

Cite, please!

> It's no longer shocking how fantastically ignorant apologists prove to be.

Re: Can you run full-fledged Linux distros on iOS?

<sj2b88$1e1r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12928&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12928

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:28:33 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 18:28 UTC

> Can you run full-fledged Linux distros, for free, sans ads, right on your
> iOS device without jailbreaking (like you can with Android sans rooting)?

If iOS can't run full-fledged Linux (CLI or desktop) for free, without
jailbreaking, then Steve should add this to his iOS-vs-Android comparisons.

Here's what I did today to test it out to prove how easy it was to do.
<http://andronix.app/>

Download & install "AndroNix - Linux running inside of Android without root"
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=studio.com.techriz.andronix>

My initial five-minute experience proved it's trivial to install.
1. You download AndroNix which asks a few basic "which distro" questions.
2. I chose not to add a GUI (I opted only for the command line interface).
3. And then, you're on the {Debian,Fedora,Ubuntu,etc.} CLI inside Termux.
<https://docs.andronix.app/unmodded-distros/unmodded-os-installation/>

After rebooting, your choices then become:
a. On your Android phone, you can still start Termux (and stay in Termux)
b. Or, start Termux & then start _any_ Linux distro (e.g., Ubuntu 20.04)
c. Type "exit" to return you to Termux (type it again to exit Termux)
<https://dev.to/imprakharshukla/installing-linux-on-your-android-device-25cf>

Note the Linux distro is installed inside Termux using these commands
$ pkg update -y && pkg install wget curl proot tar -y &&
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AndronixOrigin/master/Installer/Ubuntu20/ubuntu20.sh
-O ubuntu20.sh && chmod +x ubuntu20.sh && bash ubuntu20.sh
Which will result in the instruction at the end of that activity.
"You can now launch Ubuntu with the ./start-ubuntu20.sh
script form next time"
This will show all the src back-end scripts that AndroNix uses.
<https://github.com/AndronixApp/AndronixOrigin>

Then, whenever you are in Termux, you can go to Ubuntu using
$ ./start-ubuntu20.sh
Which puts into the Ubuntu 20.04 CLI (or whatever distro you chose).
root@localhost:~# _____

It's clear you can install a bunch of "real" Linux distros
where to start any of them you use their particular start command.

If you want to start the Linux GUI, you need a few more steps.
<https://www.fosslicious.com/2019/10/install-and-run-ubuntu-on-termux.html>

All necessary software is available on the Google Play Store.
<https://androidarcitect.com/2020/09/15/andronix-get-linux-on-android/>

It would be nice to know how these "real" official Linux distros
compare to Termux in terms of getting things done in Android using Linux.

But also it would be nice to know if this choice is available on iOS.
--
Never use the Google Play Termux; use F-Droid Termux instead.