From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Subject: QSL and OMNIMIX
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:56:52 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 13:56 UTC

QSL had a very useful feature: the "Secure" mode.
"For those with stringent security requirements, QS provides a strong
encryption Secure Mode. When in secure Mode, the QS database is
encrypted between sessions. At the start of a session the database is
decrypted into memory and never saved to disk in unencrypted format.
Also, notable, the method QS uses to place the database in memory locks
the db there so it won't be swapped to the windows pagefile."

There is something similar in OMNIMIX?

Re: QSL and OMNIMIX

<28f9ae950a5c7869a159291bfeb0b628@msgid.frell.theremailer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12952&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12952

From: fri...@spamexpire-202210.rodent.frell.theremailer.net (Fritz Wuehler)
Subject: Re: QSL and OMNIMIX
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 00:48:46 +0200
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Fritz Wuehler - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 22:48 UTC

That is really a great question. I recall in the early days of QSL when Richard implemented Secure Mode. It’s an awesome feature.

There is a difference, however,in the way QSL and Omnimix handles messages.

QSL will store messages. Thus, there is a persistent record of your messages on your hard disk. That database would need to protected, and it is protected
by Secure Mode.

By contrast, Omnimix does not store messages anywhere. Once a message is sent, it is gone. No records.

>From the Omnimix page:

https://www.danner-net.de/om.htm

“OmniMix doesn't store any messages for a longer period of time..”

Thus with Omnimix, there is no database to protect as there is no persistent record on your system's hard disk.

Re: QSL and OMNIMIX

<0a561bb17ba21f9f3755feb95a1f5ebb@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12961&group=alt.privacy.anon-server#12961

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 11:30:38 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: alt.privacy.anon-server
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 23 Oct 2022 09:30 UTC

Fritz Wuehler wrote:

>That is really a great question. I recall in the early days of QSL when Richard implemented Secure Mode. It’s an awesome feature.
>
>There is a difference, however,in the way QSL and Omnimix handles messages.
>
>QSL will store messages. Thus, there is a persistent record of your messages on your hard disk. That database would need to protected, and it is protected
>by Secure Mode.
>
>By contrast, Omnimix does not store messages anywhere. Once a message is sent, it is gone. No records.
>
>>From the Omnimix page:
>
>https://www.danner-net.de/om.htm
>
>“OmniMix doesn't store any messages for a longer period of time.”
>
>Thus with Omnimix, there is no database to protect as there is no persistent record on your system's hard disk.

Sure, there's no long-term storage of messages within the OM proxy
server system, at least as long as you have logging deactivated. But
there are privacy related data held within OM's .ini files like nym
access parameters. And beyond that temporary files are written to disk,
for example for Mixmaster and GnuPG interaction. So, as we all know,
that there's no 100% reliable secure delete / block overwrite method,
depending on your threat level you might consider storing your OmniMix
system on an encrypted disk volume, which unfortunately otoh renders an
autostart of the proxy server while booting Windows undoable.