From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: trn Cmd: prompt
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 18:38:11 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 18:38 UTC

I'm using trn version 4.something.

I accidentally hit backslash (\) while in the thread selector. This
brought me to a prompt of "Cmd:". I have no idea what sort of commands it
is looking for at this point. What is?

I couldn't find anything in "man trn" about this.

Note: Hitting ^G at this prompt makes it go away (with some kind of err msg).

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Security

Re: trn Cmd: prompt

<u298j9$vvpg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=news.software.readers#1296

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: trn Cmd: prompt
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:10:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Tue, 25 Apr 2023 19:10 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

>I'm using trn version 4.something.

>I accidentally hit backslash (\) while in the thread selector. This
>brought me to a prompt of "Cmd:". I have no idea what sort of commands it
>is looking for at this point. What is?

It allows the user to call an outside program or the output of the current
function can be redirected to other than standard output.

>I couldn't find anything in "man trn" about this.

>Note: Hitting ^G at this prompt makes it go away (with some kind of err msg).

Just hit the Enter key to make it go away.

Re: trn Cmd: prompt

<u29v8f$2s4gp$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=news.software.readers#1297

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 01:37:19 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 01:37 UTC

In article <u298j9$vvpg$2@dont-email.me>,
Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm using trn version 4.something.
>
>>I accidentally hit backslash (\) while in the thread selector. This
>>brought me to a prompt of "Cmd:". I have no idea what sort of commands it
>>is looking for at this point. What is?
>
>It allows the user to call an outside program or the output of the current
>function can be redirected to other than standard output.

Could you explain further what this means?

Can you give a sample use?

--
"The party of Lincoln has become the party of John Wilkes Booth."

- Carlos Alazraqui -

Re: trn Cmd: prompt

<u2a3c3$17jft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1298&group=news.software.readers#1298

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 02:47:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 26 Apr 2023 02:47 UTC

Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Kenny McCormack <gazelle@shell.xmission.com> wrote:

>>>I'm using trn version 4.something.

>>>I accidentally hit backslash (\) while in the thread selector. This
>>>brought me to a prompt of "Cmd:". I have no idea what sort of commands it
>>>is looking for at this point. What is?

>>It allows the user to call an outside program or the output of the current
>>function can be redirected to other than standard output.

>Could you explain further what this means?

>Can you give a sample use?

I apologize. It's for INTERNAL commands. Most of the commands conflict
otherwise with the letters and numbers in use for articles.

g means go to or subscribe to a newsgroup. But the letter "g" is already
in use to select something in the selector.

If I'm in the newsgroup selector and I wish to subscribe to a group (or
go to a newsgroup I've already subscribed to)

\gcomp.misc

then I can get to it. Normally I don't have a use for it at the article
or thread selector.