From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: FREE GAMES: "Europa Universalis IV" and "Orwell"
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:13:14 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:13 UTC

Gosh, Thursday, are you back already? It seems like just a week since
you've come around. Don't ya have a home of your own to go to?
Hahahah, but no; it's great to see you. What's that? You've brought us
more free games again? You're too kind. So, whatcha got?

This week Epic Games brings us:

* Europa Universalis IV
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/europa-universalis-iv
EU4 probably doesn't need much of an introduction; it's another
Paradox interactive strategy/RPG game in the same vein as "Crusader
Kings" and "Hearts of Iron". Incredibly detailed, with lots of
historical details, it lets you take on the role of world leaders and
rewrite hundreds of years of history. It's also a tremendous sump for
DLC, because Paradox likes to nickel and dime its customers (that
said, there are several free DLC packs, so be sure to grab those while
you're nabbing the main game). Still, the core product is
full-featured and offers solid - if somewhat niche - gameplay, so
there's no reason not to snatch this one up while its free. Unless,
that is, you already have it: this is a repeat freebie, first offered
free on Epic two years ago.

* Orwell: Keeping An Eye On You
https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/orwell-keeping-an-eye-on-you
At it's heart, games like "Orwell" are basically "Papers, Please" with
better production values and reskinned to match a new theme. But the
gameplay is pretty much the same: you're given a bunch of tools to
analyze the data - and too little time to do the analysis - with an
overarching story warning about how these tools can be corrupting. The
game itself is fine, but it's fairly shallow and not all novel. If
you've never played "Papers Please" (or any of its other imitators),
"Orwell" may seem a unique and exciting new type of game. If you loved
"Papers Please", "Orwell" will happily give you more of the same. But
as for myself, luke-warm to the genre, I found little to get excited
about this game.

Well, there's two new games. Worth getting? I suppose that's up to you
to decide. Hopefully seven days will be enough time for you to make
your choice.

Re: FREE GAMES: "Europa Universalis IV" and "Orwell"

<472dnUDwXrD--0v5nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12985&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#12985

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: FREE GAMES: "Europa Universalis IV" and "Orwell"
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 16:48:35 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 16:48 UTC

Meh to both. Passed. :)

--
[Jesus taught his disciples:] "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." --Matthew 7:12. A slammy week so far with QuakeCon and DefCon!
| |o o| |