From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:21:19 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:21 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
> That cite doesn't support your assertion. Without access to Apple's iOS
> testing framework no-one knows.

Read it again Chris.

Specifically look for the Project Zero's rather plaintive explanation of how
they are absolutely positive the stated problematic sections of Apple iOS
code could _never_ even possibly have been tested by Apple before iOS shipped.

*The fact remains, Apple has _never_ sufficiently tested iOS even _once_ Chris.*
Why do you think iOS is the buggiest operating system on the planet, Chris?

HINT: Compare Apple's puny R&D expenditure to Apple's MARKETING budget, Chris.
Then read what even Craig Federighi said of why Apple misses so many bugs, Chris.

HINT: Federighi's internal memo was published and discussed here at length, Chris.
(Like a Trumpist, you, Chris, are simply immune to any facts you don't like.)

>> Given Apple has never tested huge portions of their existing code, can you
>> even begin to imagine how unfathomably untested their brand new iOS code is?
>>
>> No wonder Apple operating systems have more security holes than the others.
>
> Another baseless assertion. You've been given plenty opportunity to back it
> up with hard data, yet haven't done so. All that be surmised is that you
> can't.

The fact remains Apple hasn't tested entire huge sections of iOS code in
years (and, as a result, Apple _repeats_ the same zero-day bugs!).

[As a nomenclature aside, are those previously fixed zero-day bugs that
Apple breaks exactly the same way a second time, still called "zero day?]
The fact you're ignorant doesn't mean those aren't well known facts, Chris.

>> That's why, for my devices, I leave them on the version they were born with.
>
> That makes no sense.

Since you ignorant apologists are completely clueless that Apple has never tested
_any_ iOS release sufficiently, you do exactly what Apple tells you to do.

None of you apologists have any control of your own independent thoughts.

>> Even then, the facts prove Apple has _never_ tested iOS sufficiently.
>> Not even once.
>
> You've provided no facts.

I provided a list of something like thirty separate holes in iOS 13 alone that
Apple didn't find - and yet all you fantastically ignorant apologists are immune
to all facts that go against your entirely fabricated beliefs.

Not only have I read & understood all those articles, but I have read and
understood ten times that many which I simply didn't list for you to read.

And yet... you apologists are blissfully uninformed & unaware of facts.
--
*iOS 13 Bugs Cause Apple to Overhaul Software Testing*
<https://tidbits.com/2019/11/25/ios-13-bugs-cause-apple-to-overhaul-software-testing/>

*Apple updates iOS 13 yet again, hopefully squashing the remaining bugs*
<https://me.mashable.com/tech/7267/apple-updates-ios-13-yet-again-hopefully-squashing-the-remaining-bugs>

*iOS 13 woes have forced Apple to rethink how it tests iPhone updates*
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21/20975651/apple-ios-14-testing-update-features-changes-rumors>

*iOS 14: Apple Changing How It Develops Its Software After Buggy iOS 13 Debut*
<https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/ios-14-development-overhaul-13-bugs-apple-process-2136708>

*iOS 13.4 is loaded with bugs - why you should wait to upgrade*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ios-134-is-loaded-with-bugs-why-you-should-wait-to-upgrade>

*Apple iOS 13 Is Full Of Bugs*
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/09/19/apple-ios13-upgrade-problems-iphone-11-pro-max-xs-max-xr-update/>

*Apple's big new iPhone iOS 13 update is filled with bugs*
<https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-ios-13-update-release-with-bugs-019-9>

*Why iOS 13 is buggy - and how to fix it*
<https://www.imore.com/why-ios-13-buggy-and-how-fix-it-ios-14>

*iOS 13 is Apple's buggiest release yet*
<https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/apples-buggiest-ios-release-yet-introduces-more-bugs-in-ios-13-2-users-report-that-multitasking-is-now-dead-7608061.html>

*iOS 13 marks the record for the number of bugs*
<https://geektech.me/ios-13-marks-the-record-for-the-number-of-bugs-but-apple-has-already-fixed-the-bugs/>

*iOS 13.5 issues wreaking havoc on iPhones and iPads*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/news/ios-135-issues-wreaking-havoc-on-iphones-and-ipads>

*Apple issues third iOS 13 update in just two weeks as more bugs strike*
<https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ios-13-1-2-bug-fixes-improvements-3942784>

*Apple reportedly focusing on its buggy iOS problems again with iOS 14*
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/21/20975651/apple-ios-14-testing-update-features-changes-rumors>

*Apple angry at Google for bursting iPhone security myth bubble*
<https://cnnews9.com/2019/09/08/apple-angry-at-google-for-bursting-iphone-security-myth-bubble-mspoweruser/>

*Apple angry at Google for bursting iPhone security myth bubble*
<https://cnnews9.com/2019/09/08/apple-angry-at-google-for-bursting-iphone-security-myth-bubble-mspoweruser/>

*iPhone: Many zero-day vulnerabilities are found which spy on your activity*
<https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/06/iphone-a-zero-day-vulnerability-allows-spying-on-your-personal-data/>

*Google discovered a further five major vulnerabilities in Apple code*
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/30/20746827/apple-ios-security-flaw-imessage-google-project-zero>

*Six serious 'zero interaction' vulnerabilities found in iOS*
<https://9to5mac.com/guides/security/>

*Google researchers discovered serious iOS security flaws*
<https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/30/google-project-zero-ios-interactionless-vulnerabilities-apple/>

*Google finds more Apple watch app zero-day vulnerabilities*
<https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/11/apple-walkie-talkie-feature-disabled-vulnerability/>

*Google reveals fistful of flaws in Apple's iMessage app*
<https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49165946>

*Anyone can hack into MacOS High Sierra simply by typing "root"*
<https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/>

*Making sense of the many ongoing repetitive Apple security flaws*
<https://www.wired.com/story/apples-security-macos-high-sierra-ios-11/>

*Apple Was Slow to Act on FaceTime Bug That Allows Spying on iPhones*
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/technology/facetime-glitch-apple.html>

*Apple needs to stop promising new products and start delivering them*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/WYjTtnTs-XQ/YyhGkrNXAAAJ>

*Apple just now BLOCKED Live Photos in FaceTime for alliOS & macOS users*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/fQ3Kb96gedA>

*An astounding list of security vulnerabilities found in Apple software*
<https://www.zerodayinitiative.com/blog/2017/5/15/the-may-2017-apple-security-update-review>

*New Mac Malware steals iPhone text messages from iTunes backups*
<https://www.hackread.com/mac-malware-steals-iphone-text-messages-from-itunes-backups/>

*Easter Attack Affects Half a Billion Apple iOS Users via Chrome Bug*
<https://threatpost.com/easter-attack-apple-ios/143901/>

*A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild
<https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html>

*Google Says Malicious Websites Have Been Quietly Hacking iPhones for Years
<https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjwne5/malicious-websites-hacked-iphones-for-years>

*Massive iPhone Hack Uncovered by Google: What You Need to Know*
<https://www.tomsguide.com/news/thousands-of-iphones-secretly-hacked-for-years-google-reveals>

*These malicious website exploits targeted iPhone users for years*
<https://macdailynews.com/2019/08/30/these-malicious-website-exploits-targeted-iphone-users-for-years/>

*Google reported many exploits which Apple was too slow to fix*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Zero>

*Malicious Websites Have Been Quietly Hacking iPhones for Years*
<https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bjwne5/malicious-websites-hacked-iphones-for-years>

*Apple's release notes hide the immensity of Apple's huge lack of QA*
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209520>

*Apple quality control problem stems from lack of resources on testing*
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2019/02/07/ios-12-1-4-features/>

*Please stop sending us Apple bugs, we have too many already*
<https://www.cyberscoop.com/ios-zero-day-zerodium-high-supply/>

*Google Reveals BuggyCow, a new MacOS Zero-Day Vulnerability*
<https://www.wired.com/story/google-project-zero-buggycow-macos-zero-day/>

*No, Your iPhone Is Not More Secure Than Android*
<https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2021/03/16/iphone-12-pro-max-and-iphone-13-not-more-secure-than-google-and-samsung-android-warns-cyber-billionaire/>

*What the market for zero-day exploits tells us about our phones*
<https://onezero.medium.com/is-android-getting-safer-than-ios-4a2ca6f359d3>

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?

<sjij2k$gnm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12939&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12939

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all
installed apps (e.g., VLC)?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:20:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nmwpFvJ4gxyLofCvwEieEW50SUE=
 by: Chris - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:20 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>> That cite doesn't support your assertion. Without access to Apple's iOS
>> testing framework no-one knows.
>
> Read it again Chris.
>
> Specifically look for the Project Zero's rather plaintive explanation of how
> they are absolutely positive the stated problematic sections of Apple iOS
> code could _never_ even possibly have been tested by Apple before iOS shipped.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda aren't facts. They're suppositions. They don't know
anymore than you do.

> *The fact remains, Apple has _never_ sufficiently tested iOS even _once_ Chris.*
> Why do you think iOS is the buggiest operating system on the planet, Chris?

I don't think that. You do. And it's based on nothing other than your
imagination.

> HINT: Compare Apple's puny R&D expenditure to Apple's MARKETING budget, Chris.
> Then read what even Craig Federighi said of why Apple misses so many bugs, Chris.
>
> HINT: Federighi's internal memo was published and discussed here at length, Chris.
> (Like a Trumpist, you, Chris, are simply immune to any facts you don't like.)
>
>>> Given Apple has never tested huge portions of their existing code, can you
>>> even begin to imagine how unfathomably untested their brand new iOS code is?
>>>
>>> No wonder Apple operating systems have more security holes than the others.
>>
>> Another baseless assertion. You've been given plenty opportunity to back it
>> up with hard data, yet haven't done so. All that be surmised is that you
>> can't.
>
> The fact remains Apple hasn't tested entire huge sections of iOS code in
> years (and, as a result, Apple _repeats_ the same zero-day bugs!).

So you admit you can't even pretend to have a source for "more security
holes than the others." Just more made up "facts".

> [As a nomenclature aside, are those previously fixed zero-day bugs that
> Apple breaks exactly the same way a second time, still called "zero day?]
>
> The fact you're ignorant doesn't mean those aren't well known facts, Chris.

They aren't facts.

>>> That's why, for my devices, I leave them on the version they were born with.
>>
>> That makes no sense.
>
> Since you ignorant apologists are completely clueless that Apple has never tested
> _any_ iOS release sufficiently, you do exactly what Apple tells you to do.
>
> None of you apologists have any control of your own independent thoughts.
>
>>> Even then, the facts prove Apple has _never_ tested iOS sufficiently.
>>> Not even once.
>>
>> You've provided no facts.
>
> I provided a list of something like thirty separate holes in iOS 13 alone that
> Apple didn't find - and yet all you fantastically ignorant apologists are immune
> to all facts that go against your entirely fabricated beliefs.

We're getting dangerously close to some numbers. Which holes are these
specifically? Now find the numbers for Android, Windows and Linux.

> Not only have I read & understood all those articles, but I have read and
> understood ten times that many which I simply didn't list for you to read.

Because they don't exist.

> And yet... you apologists are blissfully uninformed & unaware of facts.

When I see a fact, I'll let you know. In the meantime your "facts" aren't.

Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?

<sjik0h$1aib$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12941&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12941

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:36:11 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 22:36 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
> Coulda, shoulda, woulda aren't facts. They're suppositions. They don't know
> anymore than you do.

Chris,

Read this _before_ you claim all facts about Apple you hate aren't facts.
*A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild*
<https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html>

You apologists are almost exactly like Trumpists in your denial of facts
everyone else knows (hell, *even Apple didn't dispute what Google said*,
Chris).

Given you dispute what even Apple couldn't dispute, that tells us all that
the chance of an adult conversation with apologists is literally zero.

If Apple didn't dispute that Google proved beyond any doubt whatsoever that
huge swaths of critical iOS code had _never_ and could never (not even
once!) have _ever_ been tested, on what grounds can you deny that fact?
--
Apologists are no different from Trumpists in almost every way possible.

Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?

<sjjm3p$902$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12947&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12947

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
installed apps (e.g., VLC)?
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 08:18:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kchC7FD2hHn7JnulvTdXey6prko=
 by: Chris - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 08:18 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>> Coulda, shoulda, woulda aren't facts. They're suppositions. They don't know
>> anymore than you do.
>
> Chris,
>
> Read this _before_ you claim all facts about Apple you hate aren't facts.

I *love* facts. Problem is you don't know what a fact is. What you are
spewing aren't facts. Not even close.

> *A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild*
> <https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html>

I have. Now point me to the exact place where they state that Apple does no
testing and that vast parts of iOS have never been tested.

> You apologists are almost exactly like Trumpists in your denial of facts
> everyone else knows (hell, *even Apple didn't dispute what Google said*,
> Chris).
>
> Given you dispute what even Apple couldn't dispute, that tells us all that
> the chance of an adult conversation with apologists is literally zero.

Not responding to a claim is not the same as agreeing with it. Apple very
rarely respond to any claims so keeping quiet on this is nothing special.

FTR I agree that Apple has zero-day vulnerabilities some of which have been
exploited for a long time. Apple probably should have done better. You can
be sure that they will be.

Does all this damn Apple as being the worst tech company in the world? No.
By a mile.

Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?

<sjjq5i$1o3t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12948&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12948

From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 09:27:24 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 09:27 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>> *A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild*
>> <https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html>
>
> I have. Now point me to the exact place where they state that Apple does no
> testing and that vast parts of iOS have never been tested.

Jesus Christ Chris,

You are so ignorant you _missed_ the openeing sentences for God's sake!
"The root causes I highlight here are not novel and are often overlooked.
*We'll see cases of iOS code which seems to have never worked*,
*iOS code that likely skipped QA or likely had little testing*
*or no code review before the iOS release was shipped to users*."

This was for _many_ iOS releases, Chris... that Apple didn't test even once.
The fact Apple doesn't sufficiently test iOS releases is clear, Chris.

All iPhones are compromised the instant Apple installs an iOS release.
The proof is _overwhelming_ Apple doesn't even _test_ much of iOS code!

You're dense. You're shockingly dense. I've never met people like you are.
You're like Trumpists. You can't see what everyone else _easily_ sees.

The proof is not only from Project Zero - it's everywhere.
*Even Apple didn't refute the fact they never tested their iOS code.*

What's shocking is that an intelligent _adult_ conversation is impossible
with all you apologists... I don't even know how you function in society.

*None of you apologists own even the most basic of adult cognitive skills*.

Here's just a few verbatim quotes from the very article you supposedly read:
"The more important takeaway, however, is what the vulnerability was.
In 2014, Apple added an unfinished implementation of a new feature named
"vouchers" and part of this new code was a new syscall (technically, a
task port MIG method) which, from what I can tell, never worked. To be
clear, if there had been a test which called the syscall with the
expected arguments, it would have caused a kernel panic. If any Apple
developer had attempted to use this feature during those four years,
their phone would have immediately crashed."

Besides the fact Google clearly said the code couldn't possibly ever have
been tested many times, there were plenty of indicators iOS is never tested.

These are all complete, verbatim quotes from what you supposedly read,
Chris. (Again, it's shocking how fantastically _stupid_ you appear to be).

"It's difficult to understand how this error could be introduced into a
core IPC library that shipped to end users. While errors are common in
software development, a serious one like this should have quickly been
found by a unit test, code review or even fuzzing. It's especially
unfortunate as this location would naturally be one of the first ones
an attacker would look, as I detail below."

Here's another:
"It's the kernel bug used here which is, unfortunately, easy to find and
exploit (if you don't believe me, feel free to seek a second opinion!).
An IOKit device driver with an external method which in the very first
statement performs an unbounded memmove with a length argument directly
controlled by the attacker"

The amazing thing is I've never met people as ignorant as you apologists,
who, given a spoon fed easy article to read, you can't see _any_ facts in
that article if those facts tell the truth about Apple products.
--
You're like Trumpists - all of you apologists own imaginary belief systems.

Re: Is anyone noticing iOS v15.0's storage not showing all installed apps (e.g., VLC)?

<sjmk0s$u5u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12975&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12975

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.apps
installed apps (e.g., VLC)?
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 11:00:44 -0000 (UTC)
<sjjm3p$902$1@dont-email.me>
<sjjq5i$1o3t$1@gioia.aioe.org>
sha1:d/XvnAkrjUSRAf6OdOoIQe/y/sA=
 by: Chris - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 11:00 UTC

Robin Goodfellow <Ancient-of-Days@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> asked
>>> *A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild*
>>> <https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html>
>>
>> I have. Now point me to the exact place where they state that Apple does no
>> testing and that vast parts of iOS have never been tested.
>
> Jesus Christ Chris,
>
> You are so ignorant you _missed_ the openeing sentences for God's sake!
> "The root causes I highlight here are not novel and are often overlooked.
> *We'll see cases of iOS code which seems to have never worked*,
> *iOS code that likely skipped QA or likely had little testing*
> *or no code review before the iOS release was shipped to users*."

Well done!! I think that's the first time I've seen you actually be able to
support your claim.

You need work in your hyperbole, though. That isn't saying that huge
swathes of iOS are untested and that iOS is the least tested OS in history
or whatever it is you claim on a regular basis.