From: arl_123...@hotmail.com (J.B. Wood)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Mac protonmail and .onion
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 20:07:44 -0500
 by: J.B. Wood - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 01:07 UTC

[https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10078359/U-S-Navy-engineer-wife-charged-selling-submarine-secrets-smuggling-sandwich.html]

Please look at this sentence: "I will continue to use public WiFi and the
TOR .onion connection to Proton to prevent an adversary from watching TOR
entrance/exit nodes."

Do you know what a "proton" is in that context?
"I suggest a simple code sent through Proton: email me the number of
packages you want at the next drop."

That's from a spy, who used what he called "Proton" on a Mac to establish
communications with what he assumed was an agent of an unnamed country (in
actuality, an FBI agent).

He keeps talking about a "Proton" as in: "My new Proton is actually an old
one I established quietly with a cash only burner phone while on vacation
several years ago. My original contact plan was to give the login details to
you, but I abandoned it as needlessly complicated. So it has been unused
ever since for any purpose except to sign up for a few innocent, randomly
chosen mailing lists to generate regular uninteresting traffic."

Obviously, if this is proton mail (further information in that news report
indicates it probably was) then they are using the onion address for a
reason that seemed good to them.

But what is that reason for the .onion address to proton mail?
What did the .onion address to proton mail gain this spy?
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com