From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Recent Bunch of Panics
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:41:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 10:41 UTC

I'm running a 2017 iMac; macOS 11.6; 1TB external Crucial SSD plugged
into a Thunderbolt 3 port. Recently I've been getting an automatic
Restart every several days, while I'm out of the room and unable to
watch it happen. Here is a link to the report returned from the latest
event:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1U8cL9lk8vbihEf2FWjljJojxzEQLbk/view?usp=sharing

I can't get enough from that report to give me a clue what is going
awry. Can someone out there more knowledgable than I am make some sense
of this? Thank you.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

Re: Recent Bunch of Panics

<isgrfdFeqo1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12991&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12991

From: pjh...@nanoworks.com (Percival John Hackworth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: Recent Bunch of Panics
Date: 10 Oct 2021 18:58:53 GMT
 by: Percival John Hackwo - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:58 UTC

On 10-Oct-2021 at 3:41:20AM PDT, "Chris Schram" <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:

> I'm running a 2017 iMac; macOS 11.6; 1TB external Crucial SSD plugged
> into a Thunderbolt 3 port. Recently I've been getting an automatic
> Restart every several days, while I'm out of the room and unable to
> watch it happen. Here is a link to the report returned from the latest
> event:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1U8cL9lk8vbihEf2FWjljJojxzEQLbk/view?usp=sharing
>
> I can't get enough from that report to give me a clue what is going
> awry. Can someone out there more knowledgable than I am make some sense
> of this? Thank you.

In my experience, MacOS usually only crashes when there's an unexpected
hardware event. I'm sure it will crash in other circumstances, but most of the
crashes I've seen on my machines have been because of a hard drive or other
device not behaving properly.

Try switching the Crucial to a USB3.
Or get another drive from another vendor, copy the OS onto the new drive. See
if that gives you problems.

Just a SWAG, but it'll be a pain to diagnose and mitigate.

Re: Recent Bunch of Panics

<sjvn0b$1b0o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12993&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12993

From: chrisp...@me.com (Chris Schram)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:46:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Chris Schram - Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:46 UTC

On 2021-10-10, Percival John Hackworth <pjh@nanoworks.com> wrote:
> On 10-Oct-2021 at 3:41:20AM PDT, "Chris Schram" <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm running a 2017 iMac; macOS 11.6; 1TB external Crucial SSD plugged
>> into a Thunderbolt 3 port. Recently I've been getting an automatic
>> Restart every several days, while I'm out of the room and unable to
>> watch it happen. Here is a link to the report returned from the latest
>> event:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-1U8cL9lk8vbihEf2FWjljJojxzEQLbk/view?usp=sharing
>>
>> I can't get enough from that report to give me a clue what is going
>> awry. Can someone out there more knowledgable than I am make some sense
>> of this? Thank you.
>
> In my experience, MacOS usually only crashes when there's an unexpected
> hardware event. I'm sure it will crash in other circumstances, but most of the
> crashes I've seen on my machines have been because of a hard drive or other
> device not behaving properly.
>
> Try switching the Crucial to a USB3.
> Or get another drive from another vendor, copy the OS onto the new drive. See
> if that gives you problems.
>
> Just a SWAG, but it'll be a pain to diagnose and mitigate.

You gave me a few things to think about. Ignoring for now your advice about the Crucial, besides the old internal drive, which I have repurposed for specific storage categories, I have two external spinning rust drives attached. One is for Time Machine, and seems to be OK (?). The other is a 3 TB FrankenDisk I cobbled together from a WD drive and an OWC enclosure. It's been intermittently noisy recently. Uh OH!

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

Re: Recent Bunch of Panics

<slrnsm8t05.2m1i.g.kreme@m1mini.local>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13001&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13001

From: g.kr...@kreme.dont-email.me (Lewis)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:27:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lewis - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:27 UTC

In message <isgrfdFeqo1U1@mid.individual.net> Percival John Hackworth <pjh@nanoworks.com> wrote:
> On 10-Oct-2021 at 3:41:20AM PDT, "Chris Schram" <chrispam1@me.com> wrote:

>> I'm running a 2017 iMac; macOS 11.6; 1TB external Crucial SSD plugged
>> into a Thunderbolt 3 port. Recently I've been getting an automatic
>> Restart every several days, while I'm out of the room and unable to
>> watch it happen. Here is a link to the report returned from the latest
>> event:

The first think to do is disconnect every external device from the
computer.

If you do not have a wireless keyboard and mouse, then make sure you are
using a Apple keyboard and mouse or trackpad.

If you added RAM to the computer, take it out and run with only the
original RAM provided with the machines.

When you find you no longer have kernel panics, plug devices in one at a
time. If you find you are STILL not having panics, try the RAM. When
the machine crashes, get the 3rd party RAM replaced.

> In my experience, MacOS usually only crashes when there's an unexpected
> hardware event.

Yep.

--
When the stars threw down their spears And watered heaven with their
tears, Did He smile his work to see? Did He who made the Lamb