We don't know one millionth of one percent about anything.

computers / comp.sys.mac.system / Re: CUPS Printing

SubjectAuthor
* CUPS Printinggtr
+* Re: CUPS Printingnospam
|`* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
| `* Re: CUPS PrintingYour Name
|  `* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
|   `- Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
+* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
|`* Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
| `* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
|  `* Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
|   `* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
|    `- Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
+* Re: CUPS PrintingLewis
|`* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
| +* Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
| |+* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
| ||+- Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
| ||+- Re: CUPS PrintingLewis
| ||`- Re: CUPS PrintingWolffan
| |`* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
| | +- Re: CUPS Printingnospam
| | +- Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
| | `- Re: CUPS PrintingLewis
| `* Re: CUPS PrintingLewis
|  `- Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
+* Re: CUPS PrintingJF Mezei
|`- Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
+* Re: CUPS PrintingWolffan
|+* Re: CUPS PrintingYour Name
||`* Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
|| `* Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
||  `- Re: CUPS PrintingAlan Baker
|`- Re: CUPS PrintingGerry
`- Re: CUPS PrintingGerry

Pages:12
Re: CUPS Printing

<sjo9ev$1poe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12985&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12985

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: CUPS Printing
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 15:12:47 +1300
 by: Your Name - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 02:12 UTC

On 2021-10-08 01:36:34 +0000, Wolffan said:
> On 2021 Oct 05, gtr wrote
> (in article <sjirqn$upk$1@dont-email.me>):
>>
>> I'm trying to make a Ricoh printer's scanner respond under OS11.6. It keeps
>> returning an error. While rooting through related issues I CUPS
>> complaints--likely wholly unrelated. But it makes me wonder, is CUPS of any
>> use with moder versions of the mac OS?
>
> CUPS has nothing to do with scanning.

Nobody ever said it did ... as it says "wholly unrelated".

Re: CUPS Printing

<sjon6e$bgt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12986&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12986

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 23:07:10 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 06:07 UTC

On 2021-10-07 7:12 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-10-08 01:36:34 +0000, Wolffan said:
>> On 2021 Oct 05, gtr wrote
>> (in article <sjirqn$upk$1@dont-email.me>):
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make a Ricoh printer's scanner respond under OS11.6. It
>>> keeps
>>> returning an error. While rooting through related issues I CUPS
>>> complaints--likely wholly unrelated. But it makes me wonder, is CUPS
>>> of any
>>> use with moder versions of the mac OS?
>>
>> CUPS has nothing to do with scanning.
>
> Nobody ever said it did ... as it says "wholly unrelated".

And then when you were told not only was it of use but essential to
printing on a Mac, your response was essentially "Nuh-uh! I know better
than all of you!"

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk07mo$le8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12995&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12995

From: addr...@domain.com (Gerry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:31:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gerry - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:31 UTC

On Oct 7, 2021 at 2:48:52 PM PDT, "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca>
wrote:

> On 2021-10-05 20:49, gtr wrote:
>> I'm trying to make a Ricoh printer's scanner respond under OS11.6. It keeps
>> returning an error. While rooting through related issues I CUPS
>> complaints--likely wholly unrelated. But it makes me wonder, is CUPS of any
>> use with moder versions of the mac OS?
>

> I am not sure CUPS does "scanning". Its purpose is to take printabel
> output and either send it to printer or use a "plug in" to convert the
> printable stuff into the format needed for that specific printer.

My question was unrelated to scanning. Poking around trying to figure out how
to make the scanning work had me pondering another issue; CUPS.

> For instance, I have CUPS on my server with a plug in that converts the
> postscript to Digital,s SIXEL bitmaps to print onto a dot matrix label
> printer.
>
> Perhaps newer versions handle incoming data, but to me CUPS has always
> been mostly from server to printer in terms of data flow outside of
> protocol (there is some back and forth for protocol and postcript commands).
>

> As an example, my newer Canon printer is set to postscript only, and I
> just put in a .PPD file on moth server and desktop and voila. For
> scanning, the Canon "printer" uses totally separate protocols, such as
> SMB or email to send documents back to a computer and doesn't use any
> printing protocols.

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk07n6$le8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12996&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12996

From: addr...@domain.com (Gerry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:32:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gerry - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:32 UTC

On Oct 7, 2021 at 6:36:34 PM PDT, "Wolffan" <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 2021 Oct 05, gtr wrote
> (in article <sjirqn$upk$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> I'm trying to make a Ricoh printer's scanner respond under OS11.6. It keeps
>> returning an error. While rooting through related issues I CUPS
>> complaints--likely wholly unrelated. But it makes me wonder, is CUPS of any
>> use with moder versions of the mac OS?
>
> CUPS has nothing to do with scanning.

No one said it did.

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk07rb$nvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12997&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12997

From: addr...@domain.com (Gerry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:34:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gerry - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:34 UTC

On Oct 7, 2021 at 11:07:10 PM PDT, "Alan Baker" <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no>
wrote:

> On 2021-10-07 7:12 p.m., Your Name wrote:
>> On 2021-10-08 01:36:34 +0000, Wolffan said:
>>> On 2021 Oct 05, gtr wrote
>>> (in article <sjirqn$upk$1@dont-email.me>):

>>> CUPS has nothing to do with scanning.
>>
>> Nobody ever said it did ... as it says "wholly unrelated".
>>

> And then when you were told not only was it of use but essential to
> printing on a Mac, your response was essentially "Nuh-uh! I know better
> than all of you!"

My "do your homework" homework indicated it di not. I disabled CUPS via
terminal as a result of "do your homework" homework. When checked it continues
to say it is disabled, while I continue to print.

I never saied I new better than all of you, because I don't. That's why I'm
here. But most of you find some petty jihad to keep your fire burning usually
on a secondary topic or an incidental phrase having to do with the question.
Again.

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk083k$s9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12998&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12998

From: addr...@domain.com (Gerry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:38:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gerry - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:38 UTC

On Oct 5, 2021 at 5:49:28 PM PDT, "gtr" <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> I'm trying to make a Ricoh printer's scanner respond under OS11.6. It keeps
> returning an error. While rooting through related issues I CUPS
> complaints--likely wholly unrelated. But it makes me wonder, is CUPS of any
> use with moder versions of the mac OS?

In answer to your question, yes CUPs remains important to printing as it
handles much of the traffic regardless of which printers you have and what
variety.

You may think you've disabled it but when it gets a request to print, in
enables itself anew or something like that.

In addition you're a liar, need to do your homework and are the reason all of
mankind has ills of one kind or another. Damn you to hell!!

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk0gif$g7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12999&group=comp.sys.mac.system#12999

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:03:11 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:03 UTC

On 2021-10-10 7:34 p.m., Gerry wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2021 at 11:07:10 PM PDT, "Alan Baker" <notonyourlife@no.no.no.no>
> wrote:

>>> Nobody ever said it did ... as it says "wholly unrelated".
>>>

>> And then when you were told not only was it of use but essential to
>> printing on a Mac, your response was essentially "Nuh-uh! I know better
>> than all of you!"
>
> My "do your homework" homework indicated it di not. I disabled CUPS via
> terminal as a result of "do your homework" homework. When checked it continues
> to say it is disabled, while I continue to print.

Then I'm less than impressed with your effort.

It is NOT disabled if you can continue to print.

How exactly does it "say it is disabled"?

> I never saied I new better than all of you, because I don't. That's why I'm
> here. But most of you find some petty jihad to keep your fire burning usually
> on a secondary topic or an incidental phrase having to do with the question.
> Again.

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk4mou$ajv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13006&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13006

From: addr...@domain.com (Gerry)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:13:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gerry - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:13 UTC

On Oct 6, 2021 at 10:43:34 PM PDT, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2021-10-06 05:35:41 +0000, Gerry said:

>>> which model ricoh, what error did it give and did you use the correct
>>> driver, which should install automatically?
>>
>> Ricoh Aficio SP C242SF.
>> "Scanner reported and error. An error occured while communicating with the
>> scanner."
>> Nothing related to Ricoh ever installed automatically when I bought it some
>> 10+ years ago, but I've updated drivers as systems changed. Currently driver
>> 2.03 PS driver and ICA 1.02 for the scanner.
>> Printer works find and always has. Scanner won't respond.
>
> I know you've found a solution now, but this sounds the same to the
> problem many of us HP users had a little while back - same problem and
> error message.
>
> In that case the problem wasn't with the devices nor the driver
> software itself. It was reportedly caused by Apple (possibly at HP's
> request) expiring the valdiation certificates for the old versions of
> the drivers. Suddenly everything just stopped working. Installing
> updated drivers helped some people either fully or partially (printing,
> but still no scanning). For those of us with mainly older "outdated"
> devices that HP couldn't be bothered updating drivers for, we had to
> wait for Apple / HP to fix the problem at their end and re-establish
> the validation. From memory it took a few days, but just as suddenly
> started working again.

I'm not sure if you've heard my solution regarding the scanner problem, though
this thread at least *intended* to be about something else.

After talking to Ricoh a couple of times--and getting uncommonly attendant
service where they have always sucked--I eventually abandoned doing scanning
through the TCP/IP driver. I hooked up a previously unused USB line to the
printer and all my ills were cured. My wife continues to print, as do I
through the TCP/IP pipe and scan comm goes through the USB.

Re: CUPS Printing

<sk4ntf$v7r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13009&group=comp.sys.mac.system#13009

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:33:02 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 19:33 UTC

On 2021-10-12 12:13 p.m., Gerry wrote:
> On Oct 6, 2021 at 10:43:34 PM PDT, "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> Ricoh Aficio SP C242SF.
>>> "Scanner reported and error. An error occured while communicating with the
>>> scanner."
>>> Nothing related to Ricoh ever installed automatically when I bought it some
>>> 10+ years ago, but I've updated drivers as systems changed. Currently driver
>>> 2.03 PS driver and ICA 1.02 for the scanner.
>>> Printer works find and always has. Scanner won't respond.
>>
>> I know you've found a solution now, but this sounds the same to the
>> problem many of us HP users had a little while back - same problem and
>> error message.
>>
>> In that case the problem wasn't with the devices nor the driver
>> software itself. It was reportedly caused by Apple (possibly at HP's
>> request) expiring the valdiation certificates for the old versions of
>> the drivers. Suddenly everything just stopped working. Installing
>> updated drivers helped some people either fully or partially (printing,
>> but still no scanning). For those of us with mainly older "outdated"
>> devices that HP couldn't be bothered updating drivers for, we had to
>> wait for Apple / HP to fix the problem at their end and re-establish
>> the validation. From memory it took a few days, but just as suddenly
>> started working again.
>
> I'm not sure if you've heard my solution regarding the scanner problem, though
> this thread at least *intended* to be about something else.
>
> After talking to Ricoh a couple of times--and getting uncommonly attendant
> service where they have always sucked--I eventually abandoned doing scanning
> through the TCP/IP driver. I hooked up a previously unused USB line to the
> printer and all my ills were cured. My wife continues to print, as do I
> through the TCP/IP pipe and scan comm goes through the USB.

And CUPS continues to be an essential part of your printing.