From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Quake II Rerelease Game Source
Newsgroups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.mac.games.action
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:45:39 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:45 UTC

https://github.com/id-Software/quake2-rerelease-dll :D
--
"By God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed." --Romans 15:32. Are DC & QC over yet & hopefully a quiet weekend?
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Quake II Rerelease Game Source

<tckidi5ac7in3l696irtsv8dmpu0j3bta1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13015&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13015

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Quake II Rerelease Game Source
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:07:42 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 22:07 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 21:45:39 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>https://github.com/id-Software/quake2-rerelease-dll :D

Of course, this is just the code and not any of the new cotnent that
comes with the newest version of Quake 2. It's mostly so
source-porters can update their mods to the new version. But you'll
still need to buy the game if you want all the latest lighting
effects, textures, etc.

Unless you already own the game on GOG or Steam; then the update is
free

(although if history is anything to go by, it'll be close to a year
before we see the update show up on GOG.)

I can't say I'm /too/ excited about the new Quake 2 version. I mean, I
quite enjoyed Quake 2 when it was new - visually, it was amazing, it
had pretty good gameplay, and actually had story and atmosphere! I
know a lot of Quake-diehards think it the weakest of the franchise but
I much preferred the second game over the first.

Nonetheless, I'm lukewarm on this re-release. Firstly, because it /is/
just an update to the existing game, and you all probably now my
opinons on companies constantly rehashing and remaking their exisitng
IPs. Secondly, there are a number of behavorial changes to the AI that
I don't think look all that much fun (Beserkers, for instance, have
gained this weird leaping ability), and the new maps don't really look
all that exciting. But mostly, I just can't get excited about adding
ray-tracing to old engines. While the improved lighting effects are
neat, the visuals still suffer from low-res, low-variety textures,
blocky models, and clunky animation. RTX lighting is lipstick on a
pig; it only makes all the other visuals - the stuff that hasn't been
updated - stand out all the more and remind you how OLD the game is.

Because of that, in many ways I find classic "Quake 2" the better
looking game.

Still, I'll get the re-release free (eventually) so I guess I'll give
it a try one of these days. But I wouldn't pay for the privilege.