Old programmers never die, they just branch to a new address.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?

SubjectAuthor
* What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?rms
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Dimensional Traveler
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Justisaur
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Ant
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?PW
| +* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Shinnokxz
| |`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Justisaur
| `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
|  `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Ross Ridge
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Metal Guru
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Metal Guru
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Anssi Saari
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Justisaur
| +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Anssi Saari
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
+- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?JAB
|+* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?rms
||`- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?JAB
|`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
| +- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Dimensional Traveler
| `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?JAB
`* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Antonio Huerta
 `* Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Spalls Hurgenson
  `- Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?Ant

Pages:12
Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?

<6c9e2227-348d-4269-a1aa-8377db7ac605n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13022&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13022

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?
From: ahue...@inbox.com (Antonio Huerta)
 by: Antonio Huerta - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:46 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 11:00:04 PM UTC+9:30, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> [...]
>

> * Ghostwire: Tokyo (new)
> I'm still in the early stages of this one, so I haven't come to a real
> conclusion about this game yet. But I'm fairly certain it was a
> mistake to play it right after "Cyberpunk 2077"; even though in terms
> of gameplay and theme the two games are quite different, the fact that
> they both are single-player games that take place in a near-future
> open-world means that I was tired of "Ghostwire: Tokyo" even before I
> started it.
>
> Which is unfortunate, because "Ghost Tokyo" has some obvious
> strengths. It's visuals are quite nice, to start with. It's not quite
> as detailed as "Cyberpunk 2077" and the special effects and lighting
> aren't nearly as sophisticated... but it's pretty close and the game
> is very pretty. But - like "Cyberpunk", its world suffers from a lack
> of real interactivity and - thanks to the eponymous ghosts - there's
> no wandering AI to add the necessary verisimilitude. There's no real
> reason - at least not so far - to hang around in one neighborhood,
> other than to maybe scrounge for hidden goodies and supplies. For all
> its size, the city serves little purpose beyond being a static
> backdrop.
>
> But the game's conceit is interesting; after an apocalyptic
> supernatural event, the protagonist survives - thanks to a lucky
> possession by a friendly ghost - as the only one left to fight off the
> bad-guys. Combat is a mix of spell-slinging, unconvincing melee and at
> least one ranged weapon. The monsters are suitably creepy - as only
> Japanese monsters can be - although there doesn't seem to be much
> variety. But then again, I haven't gotten too far into the game. The
> voice-acting is well done too.
>
> But the sheer scale of the world is daunting; not so much because it's
> incredibly large (it's not), but because there just doesn't seem all
> that much of interest to do. Sure, I can peek into the alleys to find
> hidden coins and lost souls to rescue; there's Torri Gates to cleanse
> and various side-quests to fulfill. But none of the activities are
> very fulfilling and it all seems like so much busy-work. Despite my
> usual desire to scour the map of every adventure I'm increasingly
> tempted to just speed-run the main quest so I can say I've finished
> the game.
>
> I resist, so far, telling myself not to give up on the game just yet,
> and to fight the ennui caused by 100+ hours of playing "Cyberpunk
> 2077". I'm not sure it's a winnable battle, though. "Ghostwire: Tokyo"
> may be a great game, but at the moment I think I'm just too burned out
> by open-world adventuring to find out for myself.
>

> ---------------------------------------
>

> So that's it for me. And how about you? Were you wisely ensconced in
> front of your computer playing video games, or did summer cruelly draw
> you away from what was important? Tell us...
>
> What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?

Spalls, you are still here... after many decades.

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?

<qe9kdip5s06qlg9ss88el6vonhrkap6hk9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13024&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13024

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:10:26 -0400
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:10 UTC

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:46:37 -0700 (PDT), Antonio Huerta
<ahuerta@inbox.com> wrote:

>Spalls, you are still here... after many decades.

Of course I'm here. Why wouldn't I be here? I'm always here.

Wait... is this how you're letting me go? Is this a sort of, "You're
still here? I thought we dismissed you last month?" thing? I mean,
sure you moved me down to the sub-basement level and made me pay for
my access, but I thought that was all due to Usenet struggling
financially. Was it all just a ploy to get me to leave? Surely at
minimum I get some sort of pension? Severance? A small muffin with a
candle on it? All those years of service, you'd think I'd get
something.

Can I at least keep the little red stapler?

<mutter mutter burn the whole place down mutter mutter>

Re: What Have You Been Playing... IN JUNE 2023?

<-Iucnd7YFqkeS0f5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=13027&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#13027

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:36:03 +0000
 by: Ant - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 01:36 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 04:46:37 -0700 (PDT), Antonio Huerta
> <ahuerta@inbox.com> wrote:

> >Spalls, you are still here... after many decades.

> Of course I'm here. Why wouldn't I be here? I'm always here.

> Wait... is this how you're letting me go? Is this a sort of, "You're
> still here? I thought we dismissed you last month?" thing? I mean,
> sure you moved me down to the sub-basement level and made me pay for
> my access, but I thought that was all due to Usenet struggling
> financially. Was it all just a ploy to get me to leave? Surely at
> minimum I get some sort of pension? Severance? A small muffin with a
> candle on it? All those years of service, you'd think I'd get
> something.

> Can I at least keep the little red stapler?

> <mutter mutter burn the whole place down mutter mutter>

Hey! You can't burn down the usenet! ;P
--
"By God's will I may come to you with joy and together with you be refreshed." --Romans 15:32. A somewhat slammy Monday even though less humans outside.
| |o o| |